Moparts

HEMI superstock engine specs

Posted By: Moparnut426

HEMI superstock engine specs - 04/10/12 03:32 PM

Does anyone on here know where I can read up on these engines? I was watching the HEMI shootout races on youtube and couldnt believe I was hearing a big block. Just nasty sounding.

So I got curious, and couldnt find much on google.

Kasey
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: HEMI superstock engine specs - 04/10/12 03:57 PM

You won't find the latest and greatest stuff. It's all top secret... I do recall there was a book that Jeff at Modern Cylinder Head had input about super stockers but don't recall what book it was.
Posted By: LA360

Re: HEMI superstock engine specs - 04/10/12 04:02 PM

There was also an article in Mopar Action about 12-18 months ago that had pictures of inside Lim Daniels engine at Barton's Shop. There's not a lot of "stock" in Super Stock!
Posted By: Dragula

Re: HEMI superstock engine specs - 04/10/12 04:24 PM

Yeah, your not going to see anything on those. All closely guarded.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: HEMI superstock engine specs - 04/10/12 04:33 PM

Quote:

There was also an article in Mopar Action about 12-18 months ago that had pictures of inside Lim Daniels engine at Barton's Shop. There's not a lot of "stock" in Super Stock!

I have that issue. there is 1 gazillion dollars in the cam and valve train
Posted By: 10.90 Racer

Re: HEMI superstock engine specs - 04/10/12 04:34 PM

Quote:

Does anyone on here know where I can read up on these engines? I was watching the HEMI shootout races on youtube and couldnt believe I was hearing a big block. Just nasty sounding.

Kasey

Stock in SS =
Piston top configuration(increased valve notches if need be)
Cylinder head spec volumes intake,exhaust port and chamber CC
Valve sizes (any length)
Stock carb
Stock rod wt and length
Forged or cast crank

Re: HEMI superstock engine specs - 04/10/12 04:40 PM

I thought I read something somewhere that Hess only gets 3 events on an engine? Dont know if thats true, but dont the Pro stock engines go longer than that?
Posted By: bwdst6

Re: HEMI superstock engine specs - 04/10/12 04:49 PM

Quote:

I was watching the HEMI shootout races on youtube and couldnt believe I was hearing a big block. Just nasty sounding.

That’s because they run them to 9,500 RPMs and with only 440 inch motors there are “small” block engines that have more displacement now a days.

50 runs on one motor is usually the norm.
Posted By: 340B5

Re: HEMI superstock engine specs - 04/10/12 05:18 PM

Quote:

You won't find the latest and greatest stuff. It's all top secret... I do recall there was a book that Jeff at Modern Cylinder Head had input about super stockers but don't recall what book it was.

Yup, I'd love to know it all. But I understand they could tell me, but then they'd have to shoot me.
Posted By: Dads426

Re: HEMI superstock engine specs - 04/10/12 05:28 PM

Mopar Performance put out a book on the 68 SS cars a few years ago. It is dated but has some interesting info in it. Mancini is out of them, but you may be able to find one elsewhere. I believe the part number is DCX68SSAA.
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: HEMI superstock engine specs - 04/10/12 06:01 PM

Quote:

Kasey

The arm is shorter than most of todays stroker smallblocks. The top AH cars run north of 9500rpm.
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: HEMI superstock engine specs - 04/10/12 06:23 PM

Longevity is not nearly the issue it was years ago.......

Jim Daniels killer sees the usual 75 run freshin up (rings, bearings, springs) and has over 250 laps on the majority of the engine.

All this in a 3200#, auto equipped car that spins 10k and 60fts in the 1.10 range.

They are ridiculous......
Posted By: mr_340

Re: HEMI superstock engine specs - 04/10/12 06:55 PM

If you have around $70k laying around, I'm sure WC and Barton would be happy to sell you one. You could post on the SS/AH thread and see what you get there. I seem to remember Mark Howes (CANUCK on here) told me they get 8-10 runs on intake springs. They seem to have problems with the intake valves breaking, so I'm sure the valve covers come off after every run. That is why WC put clear windows on the top of his covers. I used to want to run SS/BA with my 1964 Belvedere. Too much money for my budget. NSS is looking better everyday after watching the SS/AH go Jr. PS.
Posted By: mbogina

Re: HEMI superstock engine specs - 04/10/12 07:00 PM

These engines are more relaible than most people think, although some are more maintenance intensive than others, particularly the valve springs (due to the weight of the OEM Style valves/springs/retainers, ramp speeds of the cam lobes and RPM). Anybody "pushing the envelope" is going to experience some damage in the short term in the constant search of a quicker ET. As an example, we used to get over 200 passes from a set of valve springs w +.950 lift and 8000 rpm shifts, that number fell to 85 passes at 8600 rpm shifts, less than 40 passes at 9000, even less at higher speeds. Reducing rotating weight within the rules is a challenge, and strength of parts vs weight and RPM is another. Increasing mass airflow through the engine is a huge challenge, given that you are restricted to an intake port volume of 189cc, and OEM style and size of carbs.
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: HEMI superstock engine specs - 04/10/12 07:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yup, I'd love to know it all. But I understand they could tell me, but then they'd have to shoot me.

I can post pics later but they went as far as to move the lifter bore and cam lobes to make the pushrod angles straight. That required a cam bearing of about 1/3rd width of the original.

Re: HEMI superstock engine specs - 04/10/12 07:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I can post pics later but they went as far as to move the lifter bore and cam lobes to make the pushrod angles straight. That required a cam bearing of about 1/3rd width of the original.

I imagine that cam isnt too cheap.

Re: HEMI superstock engine specs - 04/10/12 08:40 PM

a hired gun was involved that was paid a large 6 figured amount . For that they got a motor that was totally re engineered with the confins or the rules. The big end of rods are only Honda 1.88" but the overall weight is same as stock. Rememeber the only rule on head work is the port volume .Where the put it or what shape not checked
Posted By: MCHBOB

Re: HEMI superstock engine specs - 04/10/12 10:30 PM

Its not that these engines will only go 3 races or 25 runs.Its far cheaper to pull and go threw at 3 races 25 runs and replace known parts that fail at 40-50 runs.You can run it till it breaks but sometimes the only parts you have left to work with after that happens Tend to be the valve covers and intake manifold.

Re: HEMI superstock engine specs - 04/10/12 10:36 PM

at on point the favored combo had cam lifts in the high .900 . Valve springs were worn after a few passes. For those who valued leakdown numbers 5 % meant new rings

Re: HEMI superstock engine specs - 04/10/12 11:07 PM

WOW, does anyone in here have any tear down pictures of them? Im sure the pistons have a really short skirt to save weight somewhat. THe rest is probly very foreign compared to standard hemi parts.

Re: HEMI superstock engine specs - 04/10/12 11:41 PM

Quote:

WOW, does anyone in here have any tear down pictures of them? Im sure the pistons have a really short skirt to save weight somewhat. The rest is probly very foreign compared to standard hemi parts.

cam bearing changed to 60mm . lifter bores all relocated most are wider betrween each other and angles changed

for starters a standard proceedure the block is decked. as much as 3/8" is removed. pistons and rods can be far from factory

here's the cam

Attached picture 7159566-nnn.jpg
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: HEMI superstock engine specs - 04/10/12 11:49 PM

Fred, doesn't the pistons and rods have to be at least equal in weight to the stockers?
Posted By: MCHBOB

Re: HEMI superstock engine specs - 04/11/12 01:19 AM

Quote:

Fred, doesn't the pistons and rods have to be at least equal in weight to the stockers?

No
Posted By: SSDAcuda

Re: HEMI superstock engine specs - 04/11/12 01:46 AM

Try 1/2" off the deck and 68mm camshaft now!

And as Bob had said, rods are spec weight, pistons are not.

That Barton article was pretty close at the time.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techa...ld/viewall.html

Re: HEMI superstock engine specs - 04/11/12 02:01 AM

from above
Quote:

The big end of rods are only Honda 1.88" but the overall weight is same as stock

Posted By: mr_340

Re: HEMI superstock engine specs - 04/11/12 03:27 AM

(426 Hemi)
OE 6.861" length, 842 grams minimum
OE Rod Journal - 2.375 Rod Housing - 2.500
OE Main Journal - 2.750 Main Housing - 2.943

SS rods can weigh 833g. Doug Fazzolare told me they aren't running the Honda rod journal rods. I don't know if the big dogs are running them. 1000 HP through a small rod journal seems like a high stress (rear journal).
Posted By: bwdst6

Re: HEMI superstock engine specs - 04/11/12 05:29 AM

Quote:

a hired gun was involved that was paid a large 6 figured amount . For that they got a motor that was totally re engineered with the confins or the rules. The big end of rods are only Honda 1.88" but the overall weight is same as stock. Rememeber the only rule on head work is the port volume .Where the put it or what shape not checked

No, there is more! There is also rules that require stock valve sizes and stock angles. Then there is base material. And they don't all run the Honda rod journals. I know of at least three competitive AH cars that are running the chevy journal.
Posted By: ro23car

Re: HEMI superstock engine specs - 04/12/12 12:13 AM

you guys are gonna pizz charlie off if he reads this lol.
© 2024 Moparts Forums