Moparts

now THAT'S a wasted lifter!

Posted By: mickm

now THAT'S a wasted lifter! - 04/09/12 04:15 PM

i posted a while back about the hemi challenger in a friends shop here. car has just been restored, and the engine sat for a year on the stand, and then was put into the car. supposedly 18 miles on the car.

this is the #4 intake lifter!

Attached picture 7157579-IMG_1153.JPG

Re: now THAT'S a wasted lifter! - 04/09/12 04:15 PM

side view

Attached picture 7157581-IMG_1155.JPG
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: now THAT'S a wasted lifter! - 04/09/12 05:06 PM

Obviously it was not broke in correctly. If they don't rotate in the bores they will hollow out quick.

Re: now THAT'S a wasted lifter! - 04/09/12 05:51 PM

Quote:

Obviously it was not broke in correctly. If they don't rotate in the bores they will hollow out quick.

yeah, i guess! i've never seen anything that bad before. will be interesting to see what the cam itself looks like. and of course if that one is that bad, there will be others. this was the worse though, as it wasn't even lifting the valve, which is why he pulled this one in the first place.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: now THAT'S a wasted lifter! - 04/09/12 05:54 PM

Quote:

Looks to me that it was rotating...otherwise it wouldn't be dished evenly.

Re: now THAT'S a wasted lifter! - 04/09/12 06:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

yeah, it was rotating. it's not so clear in the picture, but you can see wear patterns in one swash across the bottom, and then another at 30 degrees or something to the first. but almost looks like it rotated, stayed in one position for a while, and then rotated some, stayed in that position, etc...

hard to believe this happened in the running time that only put 18 miles on the engine, but maybe they didn't even do a break in at all, who knows.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: now THAT'S a wasted lifter! - 04/09/12 06:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

good point.what oil and was it primed before start-up?

Re: now THAT'S a wasted lifter! - 04/09/12 06:58 PM

Quote:

good point.what oil and was it primed before start-up?

we don't know any specifics at all. this car came in to his shop for a "tune up", since it wasn't running well at all. first glance the carbs looked really bad. second the grease in the NOS distributor had turned to rocks and glue. after all that was taken care of, it still would barely run, so he started looking further. pulled the valve cover, saw that the intake on #4 wasn't opening, and pulled the lifter with a magnet.

so now the engine is coming out for a full rebuild. considering the guy just paid $8k for this rebuild, hopefully things inside are salvageable. but with that much metal running around the inside of that engine, who knows?

but again, we don't know anything else about it except that it supposedly has 18 miles on it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums