Moparts

what's wrong...

Posted By: Mr.Yuck

what's wrong... - 04/07/12 10:13 PM

drove to the track, great. Car felt good, then this be? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p93jNXMKFWA&feature=youtu.

Seems to pull hard until 5800-6k then breaks up. Fuel pressure is fine, plugs look good, it just starts dropping cylinders. Take a look alisten. Swapped the Orange box out, did a little better but still started farting at the top end. everything is new excep the coil (blaster II 15 years old) any ideas? All in all we had fun, Chris (440pursuit) ran his new Demon back-2-back-2-back 11.05's. Drove home all good..
Posted By: deaks

Re: what's wrong... - 04/07/12 10:14 PM

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a faulty connector on the coil.
Mick
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: what's wrong... - 04/07/12 10:43 PM

Hmm, how old are your valve springs?
Posted By: dc426

Re: what's wrong... - 04/07/12 10:46 PM

sounds like fuel starvation to me. Nothing in first gear then all through the second half of the track. What kind of fuel pump?

Re: what's wrong... - 04/07/12 10:50 PM

Hmm, how old are your valve springs? Less than 2 years and 350 miles

Chris it's a holley blue pump, ran it last year no issues, holds 6.25lbs (ca adjust for more) all the way down the track. Air was real good today...

Re: what's wrong... - 04/07/12 11:09 PM

I'd try another pump. I run 2 blue pumps for good measure. Should be running 7-8 pounds pressure.
Posted By: Darryls-Demon

Re: what's wrong... - 04/07/12 11:11 PM

Please tell me you have a steel billet brum in your 727. Does not look like you are letting the car move far enough forward after you are cleaning out the motor. Ask Chip what can happen by doing that.
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: what's wrong... - 04/07/12 11:12 PM

have you checked that your carb opens all the way?

if the carb opens fully,(check by having someone flooring the loudpedal with engine turned of and look down into the carb to make sure,or put your hand on the throttlearm on the carb while someone holds the pedal down to make sure you get an actual fully open carb) otherways check for electrical faults or valvesprings.

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 12:45 AM

carbs are the same as last year, evrything is except I put in a new steering column.
Did the same thing I always do in the box, burn out, roll forward clean the plugs back in 1 and move into the beams.
I'll try bumping the pressure to 7. Had it this way last year w/ no issues, wonder if the 14mph head wind had anything to do w/ it...

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 02:01 AM

change the fuel pump! Then put a good ignition in it.

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 02:13 AM

Quote:

I have an MSD new in the box on the shelf. It will be going in soon...and I'll bump the pressure up... Just wondering why it didn't do this last year. Mayeb I'll get the Holley Black. Thanks..

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 02:24 AM

Probably from sitting around all winter. Sometimes they just go. Does Chris have a pump you can try?

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 02:55 AM

I'm sure he does, thing is we had a mild winter, probably drove it twice a month or more... It does sound louder, if that's possible. Would the pressure still be decent if the pump was going bad? It held a steady 6-6.25 all the way down track
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 03:15 AM

Man your are asking for trouble.. staging like that.. you need to put that car in 1st gear and let it move forward a least 2-3 foot.. Not sure why you rev it up like that/clean it out ? is something wrong with it ? Not a good thing to do..you have some bad habits there..we have a ford guy that does that..we all pick on him and laugh at him. if you have to do it there is something wrong with the car..trust me it don't sound cool..
Posted By: Clanton

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 03:29 AM

how is the voltage?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 03:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I have an MSD new in the box on the shelf. It will be going in soon...and I'll bump the pressure up... Just wondering why it didn't do this last year. Mayeb I'll get the Holley Black. Thanks..

Down time on the fuel system is worse on it than
running is.... things do go bad

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 03:42 AM

vern it roll at least 5-10' after clearing. They don't give us much room that's for sure. Usually I just take it up to about 3k hold or a second and move forward...seemd like it wanted to stall so I gunned it more than usual.
Still have the factory amp gauge hooked up, looks good.
Posted By: 440PURSUIT

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 03:52 AM

Sounds like good advice.

1. Check all connectors and voltages.

2. Like Duane Says- Your'e blowing the candles out" with the Creamsicle box. Get the MSD on with legit voltage.

3. Fuel pressure weak now, too. I have a pump, but Crank yours up and watch gauge thru run. You need 8-10psi.

4. We'll check the adjustment on the carbs. I'll give you the Dominator and and Weiand mini tunnel. You'll really need to get gas there, then!

5. Raise antenna's on Gazoo's Helmet!

Attached picture 7155819-Gazoo.jpg

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 03:54 AM

That's right Yeah Cher!

Attached picture 7155820-Gazoo2.jpg
Posted By: rook440

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 03:55 AM

Check your grounds too to make sure they are clean and now corosion ,,,a good ground is very important and is often over looked ...
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 04:04 AM

Quote:

vern it roll at least 5-10' after clearing. They don't give us much room that's for sure. Usually I just take it up to about 3k hold or a second and move forward...seemd like it wanted to stall so I gunned it more than usual.
Still have the factory amp gauge hooked up, looks good.

Voltage at your amp gauge doesnt mean anything...
check it at the pump and also at the ignition...
is that old fuel in your tank... it sounds like its
old fuel or it has water in it... could just be the
ignition
Posted By: rickraw

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 05:17 AM

check the cap & rotor. just found a bad msd cap on a friends car.
Posted By: Duner

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 06:04 AM

I had almost exactly the same problems with mine.
I had a brand new set of valve springs turn into junk almost from the start. I kept overlooking them because they were new. I replaced pretty much everything in the fuel system and the ignition twice until I finally pulled them off to check them. They were complete junk. I was in a hurry to get to an event so I put the old set of springs I pulled out back on. FIXED!!!

Don't overlook the valve springs just because they are new.
Posted By: 8urvette

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 07:10 AM

Quote:

Check your grounds too to make sure they are clean and now corosion ,,,a good ground is very important and is often over looked ...

I had a buddy with a low 12 sec nova, ran great, all of sudden about 5000 rpms it would start to cut out.
he changed alternators, distributors, fuel pumps, battery, plugs, wires... he was about ready to give up when we discovered the grounds were solid and tight, but had built up corrosion between them and the chassis. we couldn't see it by looking at them, but just on a whim we pulled one and discovered this.
cleaned them all, and added a few more and problem was gone.

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 10:04 AM

do you have some kinda water injection or something on that car?

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 11:47 AM

Didn't you change the Ignition box before the last run? That was heading in the right direction since you went 7/10's better.
I've had some probs grounding Mopar Boxes before.

My Belvy convert Valve Springs were bad. When they floated the car would load up and break down.
Was one soft intake. Changed the springs and all was good. Did it seem flooded after run?
Posted By: A57_RT

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 01:13 PM

My $$ is on the ign box, had a friend with the car to beat on pinks watch 10k go due to the same sounding high rpm miss in high gear...MSD box.
Posted By: Gumbydammit

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 01:47 PM

The Valve springs were not new when you bought the motor from me. I re ringed it, new bearings, put a 'street' roller cam in it, New timing chain, etc. and such just like we discussed. basically, A freshened bracket motor with a new cam.

I'd test the valve spring pressure just to be sure. It's been so long, I don't remember if they were new with the previous roller cam or not. With a Solid roller cam, and street driving, it's a good idea to check the springs once in a while anyway.

I wouldn't get carried away with worrying about the open or closed pressures when using an on-head tester, but rather seeing if there are big differences between the springs, and if one seems to get weaker faster than the others.

Anyway, that being said, I'd take the advice of others too, fuel pressure, and maybe try a pass on a mix of race gas and not Meth inj.
Posted By: BTBelvedere

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 02:33 PM

Don't overlook something real simple, like a plug wire boot that melted on a header. Wait until it gets dark, get a helper, and put it on the brake with the hood open. You might be surprised what you see.

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 02:44 PM

Thanks guys, Sorry Gumby thought they were newer.. I'll hit the other items real quick and see how it goes, Chirs K. I went better the last pass because i stayed in it the 2nd pass I let out of it as soon as I hit 3rd. and don't hate on my green helmet...hahaha. It didn't seem to run bad at all at the end of the track, plugs looked good too..maybe a tad lean. I'll give it a once over and get the MSD in.
What's the best way to test the springs? I also fiund another problem as I went to get a beer last night, seems the Drivers side axle seal has quit...that will be 1st on the list. and the traction bars are gone, went from 1.60 to 1.68 even a 1.86 sixty foot (last pass)
Chris D.. yes I have the winshield washer injection, I thought that was it too, I cut it off on the 2nd pass when t started breaking up and it kept on doing it.
BTBel..I checked them at the track, but I'll do a re-look here, nice and cool now.
Anyway had fun, at least nothing broke. And I had 3 people tell me I had the coolest car at the track.. I said don't look to colse you might change your mond.

Attached picture 7156211-march12031.jpg
Posted By: tubtar

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 03:06 PM

My money says valve springs. B.T.D.T.
Posted By: challengermike

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 03:21 PM

Im guessing valve springs. if you listen to the vid it starts to break up mid rpm in 2nd gear. I have had an msd box do the same thing to me also though.

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 03:34 PM

I'll start cheapest to most expensive...lol
fuel pressure up, clean all the grounds, check wires, check cap-rotor, Install the MSD go for a blast. If it still falls apart, I'll check the springs.
The gas SHOULD be good. I added stablizer last year, and have driven it a lot over the winter. It had 10 gallons of new 93 in it...Unless that gas was older (sitting in the ground for a while).

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 03:48 PM

Well now with what you know about or do not know about the valve springs. you should get some new ones on it..if it fixs it or not.. That be the first thing I would do..
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 03:58 PM

Quote:

I'll start cheapest to most expensive...lol
fuel pressure up, clean all the grounds, check wires, check cap-rotor, Install the MSD go for a blast. If it still falls apart, I'll check the springs.
The gas SHOULD be good. I added stablizer last year, and have driven it a lot over the winter. It had 10 gallons of new 93 in it...Unless that gas was older (sitting in the ground for a while).

On the ignition, hard wire it on its' own circuit with all new wire. Solder all connections. Use a separate on off switch. Why? There are gremlins in those old Mopar wiring circuits that can cause problems when a load is placed on them. Sounds to me like resistance in the power circuit to the ignition went up as it got warmer during the run. Or, SOMETHING in the ignition went south as it got heated during the run. Fuel pressure need never be over 7.5 PSI on holley fuel bowls running gas. I have had Tunnelrams show no problems at only 3 psi because that is all it took to pump enough gas through four float bowls to make 650 hp (and keep the bowls reasonably full)on gas. The instant I went to a single dominator, the two bowls needed the extra pressure to keep up. Then 7 psi was needed, and sufficient.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 04:14 PM

What size are your fuel lines? You need volume as well as pressure.Also what size is your fuel pressure line going to the gauge? A few years back I had the same problem and like you had plenty of pressure 7lbs all the way down the track with a 1/8" plastic line to the fuel pressure gauge,changed it to a 3/8" line and had only about a 1 1/2 of pressure go through the lights. You also might want to check the size of your needle and seats,the standard size don't cut it for a Big block Mopar.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 04:17 PM

Has it ever worked, or it this the first time out?
Posted By: Crizila

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 05:04 PM

Quote:

sounds like fuel starvation to me. Nothing in first gear then all through the second half of the track. What kind of fuel pump?

Yep. Fuel issue. Just because you have good pressure doesn't necessarily mean the motor isn't starving for fuel at the big end. Ignition, valve springs,etc, would most likely show up in every gear.

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 05:08 PM

Plus the fact you're running a 6 pack. i forgot about that. FUEL!
Posted By: tubtar

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 05:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yep. Fuel issue. Just because you have good pressure doesn't necessarily mean the motor isn't starving for fuel at the big end. Ignition, valve springs,etc, would most likely show up in every gear.

I thought so too.......I sent the box to Tx. ( MSD 7 AL )and it checked good.
Swapped chips for r.p.m. with ones that I knew worked.
I was pulling plugs and showing them to guys I trusted , checked connections , set and re-set floats and regulators , did the volume test etc.
But when the motor was pulling hard in 2nd and 3rd , it sounded just like it was on the chip.
It was a valve spring.
1st revved out just fine , so it didn't make sense to me either , but that cured it.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 05:39 PM

If it's a 6 pack, it is unlikely it's fuel delivery, unless there is a pump bypass circuit or another system malfunction. Free flow the system, and move on.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 06:10 PM

Could the carb(s) be jetted too lean for the cooler air conditions, you said the plugs look a tad lean, and I am sure it's after you drove back to the pits. just trying to help
Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 06:18 PM

Quote:

Well now with what you know about or do not know about the valve springs. you should get some new ones on it..if it fixs it or not.. That be the first thing I would do.

Im with Vern. I would replace them first. Hate to float a valve or have a valvetrain problem, especially if they havent been checked. ( Vern is pretty sharp with tuning, and his daughter is deadly on the track, howdy Vern )
The orange box being suspect is a given, would chuck that and stay with the MSD.

You can always chase the fuel and spark issue, and if hte plugs look good, and your fuel pressure isnt bottoming out down track, I would check the springs first....

good luck,,,,car looks great....ps,,i like the helmet as well...
Doug

Posted By: Leon441

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 06:39 PM

How to fix a high gear miss like the one in your video.

#1. Get off the internet, leave the beer in the frig and get to work.

#2. check the valve springs. If you have an inner spring broke it might not miss free revving or in low gear. If you continue to screw around your motor might die a painfull death of parts crashing into each other.

#3. Remove the fuel lines at the carbs and do a gallon jug test. See how long it takes to fill a gallon jug with your fuel system but make sure you pull the lines at the carb to fully test the system could be a collapsed line. Like someone said unless your regulators is rear of the front spindle you can get away with 3 psi. I have never needed to run over 7 psi.

#4. Borrow an ignition tester. Even a mopar unit can be tested with an MSD ignition tester. Someone close to you should have one.

#5. Throw your fuel out and get some fresh

Leon
Posted By: ro23car

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 06:41 PM

its probably that chebby hood scoop.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 08:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Went through a similar situation w/fuel pressure remaining stable but still didn`t have the VOLUME so after I installed a real pump(Magnafuel 300)problem solved and picked up a bunch of et and m.p.h. That`s just one of the several things I`d be checking as others have stated..........Ditch the Mopar ignition crap also.......... Also, was that your shift light I saw in the scoop that was covered?
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 10:34 PM

Had the same thing happen last fall . It was the distributor cap . Stuck a new one on it and made a 2nd pass---all the missing / etc... was gone.

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 10:58 PM

Greag they only thing I did off season was replace the steering column. PS column shift (w/ adapt) to Man floor shift. BRAND new re-manned $$$$ unit. I hope it's nothing in the ignition.
MrMopar, 3/8" all the way up to the reg and 3/8 to the distro block then 5/16 to each carb. The gauge runs off the reg and that line is...umm what ever the standard line is 3/16"???
Leigh worked great last year, 11.389 w/ plenty in it.
Dartman, the air was super good, one guy that brings a wheater station said "we have mine shaft air" whatever that is. Not sure why that would make such a big difference. I'm running 70 jets in the mains and yes that's back into the pits after a pass.
Thanks 69...
thump yes that's the shift light..never turned on (6400)

Re: what's wrong... - 04/08/12 11:11 PM

From everything you have said..I agree it might of been lean for the DA..you have any idea what he said it was ?

Re: what's wrong... - 04/09/12 12:37 AM

Quote:

From everything you have said..I agree it might of been lean for the DA..you have any idea what he said it was ?

The guy w/ the weather equip? He said something about 18...and something about the baramtic pressure. No idea what that all meant, I was more concerned about the 14+ mph steady head wind

Re: what's wrong... - 04/09/12 01:21 AM

well if he said 18ft ..that is very good air.. I would not call it mineshaft air but very good. And if you run in 2000-3000 ft da..That is alot of change depending on how your car was jet'ed to start with. It could be very lean and to add to that a headwind would make it leaner on top of that. one anytime you add load to a car it lean it and head wind pushing more air in the scoops.

Re: what's wrong... - 04/09/12 01:34 AM

Quote:

well if he said 18ft ..that is very good air.. I would not call it mineshaft air but very good. And if you run in 2000-3000 ft da..That is alot of change depending on how your car was jet'ed to start with. It could be very lean and to add to that a headwind would make it leaner on top of that. one anytime you add load to a car it lean it and head wind pushing more air in the scoops.

the track is at 300 ft maybe, close to sea level. Thanks, cowl hood same effect?

Re: what's wrong... - 04/09/12 01:40 AM

cowl hood are funny things.. it depends on how it got mounted.. very flew of them get put on right. the spacing between the scoop and windsheid are important. If it is right yes. If not no .
Posted By: Kevins493

Re: what's wrong... - 04/09/12 01:48 AM

Track is actually something like 550-700 ft. Damascus is 900 ft ASL, and that's one of the closest major towns. I would replace the valve springs before you try anything else, since that's the problem that would cause the most damage and isn't even the most expensive one to fix now. Why did you stay in the throttle so long after it started breaking up?
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: what's wrong... - 04/09/12 02:03 AM

Check the distributor rotor,,,,is it tight to the shaft??
Posted By: dartman366

Re: what's wrong... - 04/09/12 02:08 AM

Quote:

You would normally jet down for bad air such as hot summer days and jet up for good cool dry air of spring and late fall if you were lean to start with then the good/mineshaft air would compound the issue and cause the miss problem, altho I do agree with a lot of the other suggestions that the guys have brought up here as possible reasons,, but I have also had a friends car that has experienced a high speed miss when the jett is too lean for the conditions like weather change's and we have to jet it up.

Re: what's wrong... - 04/09/12 02:23 AM

Quote:

Track is actually something like 550-700 ft. Damascus is 900 ft ASL, and that's one of the closest major towns. I would replace the valve springs before you try anything else, since that's the problem that would cause the most damage and isn't even the most expensive one to fix now. Why did you stay in the throttle so long after it started breaking up?

I didn't.. only on 1-2.. 3rd was 1/2 pedal. I looked at the fuel pres gauge, then turned the meth.H2O off then took my foot off. Probably should have just let off at the 1-2 shift.

Re: what's wrong... - 04/09/12 02:49 AM

2 Weeks prior I T&T'd the Demon at Mason Dixon in the Mountains. It went 11.00 best at 121.39. Saturday with Jeff(Mr. Yuk) at 75/80 it ran 3 straight 11.05 at 118+ with the same jets/timing and Sheetz 93 Octane as prior. Car has cowl hood.
Posted By: deaks

Re: what's wrong... - 04/09/12 08:38 PM

Whatever the problem turns out to be, please ressurect this thread and add your findings for future reference.
Mick
Posted By: Barry70GTX

Re: what's wrong... - 04/09/12 09:31 PM

Do the end carbs still have the original metering plates?

Re: what's wrong... - 04/09/12 10:36 PM

Will do Deaks, and yes stock 6-pack carbs. I had no issues whatso ever last year.
Posted By: 6bblFLASH

Re: what's wrong... - 04/09/12 10:43 PM

I`ve run a 6bbl. a long time in all kinds of weather.
How COLD was it?
I see people with coats on?
Check all the usual stuff but its probably the intake manifold.
In cooler weather{on mine 60* was when it starts} the air is cold and the fuel does NOT stay in suspension making all those hard 90* bends in the manifold.
Try NO fresh air,if you have it.

Attached picture 7158163-08-08-08_1208.jpg

Re: what's wrong... - 04/09/12 10:55 PM

Flash it was about 65 or so.. windy. engine temp was 160. Last run of last year it was about 65-70
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: what's wrong... - 04/09/12 11:59 PM

Is it a good idea to keep your foot in it with it breaking up like that ? That didn't sound good to me.

When the guide said mineshaft air and 18 something it was probably 1800 plus BELOW sea level and you are basically at seal level where you are, you need to jet up for conditions like that.
Posted By: 6bblFLASH

Re: what's wrong... - 04/10/12 10:06 AM

Quote:

Flash it was about 65 or so.. windy. engine temp was 160. Last run of last year it was about 65-70

If it was that warm then thats probably not the main issue.
However,it may go away in different conditions too.
Posted By: W7_Scamp

Re: what's wrong... - 04/12/12 01:35 AM

I find it amazing how many times I go to the track and see cars missing, backfiring, not running correctly. I think what a waste of money hauling, paying for gas, entry fees. etc How hard is it to make a pass on back road somewhere before loading up. Matter fact I have way more passes on the street than I do the track.

If it misses on the street than bet ur a-- it will do the same at the track. start making adjustments one at a time and give it a shot on the street. when u can make a clean pass on the street ur ready for the track.
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: what's wrong... - 04/12/12 02:17 AM

go get a new cap and rotor (NOT at Oreilly auto) and try that. Instead of replacing valve springs and fuel system stuff----its a cheaper experiment !

Again---My car sounded exactly like yours did at the same rpm .

It was a faulty distributor cap ...that was TWO months old ! (junk Oreilly crap )

ask Tboomer-- he's the one that loaned me a new Accel cap at the track.

Re: what's wrong... - 04/12/12 02:33 AM

Quote:

I find it amazing how many times I go to the track and see cars missing, backfiring, not running correctly. I think what a waste of money hauling, paying for gas, entry fees. etc How hard is it to make a pass on back road somewhere before loading up. Matter fact I have way more passes on the street than I do the track.

If it misses on the street than bet ur a-- it will do the same at the track. start making adjustments one at a time and give it a shot on the street. when u can make a clean pass on the street ur ready for the track.

umm had zero issues last year or all off season. made on romp on the way no issues, but I didn't all out hit it either, that's not very smart. If I knew the car was running bad I would have never taken it to the track.
It's not like I live in the back woods or something. I live in the suburbs of DC. I'd take a big chance going WOT around here.
493 That's part of the plan...I'll start on the cheap and go from there.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: what's wrong... - 04/12/12 03:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

umm had zero issues last year or all off season. made on romp on the way no issues, but I didn't all out hit it either, that's not very smart. If I knew the car was running bad I would have never taken it to the track.
It's not like I live in the back woods or something. I live in the suburbs of DC. I'd take a big chance going WOT around here.
493 That's part of the plan...I'll start on the cheap and go from there.

Many times these problems won't be found until you get to the track. Like what Yuck said, kinda hard to keep your foot into it for 1/4 mile most places. Running at the track is so much different than the street.

If I read your post right, you said you have 3/8" fuel line feeding a holley pump?

I'm sure you have read about my fuel pump plumbing advise?

Might want to do the fuel can test on a hot day?

Re: what's wrong... - 04/12/12 04:02 AM

That's pretty funny I run my car exactly the same at the track as I do on the street. Of course the street is traction limited off the hit, ya got to feather the throttle a little. I'm just sayin it's alot easier driving to a back road for a little tnt than it is to pay an entry fee buy food gas etc, Only to have wasted a day. Just my opinion

Now if it was a drag only car w no tags gutted no exhaust etc. then I guess the track would be the only place to work out bugs. As far as it not being smart ! at least you wouldn't have been out that money. And a low 11 sec car should definatly be able to hook on the street. It sounds like it starts to break up at the eigth mile. Surley there's that much room on a back road around DC.

I just have to sit n laugh when a car starts to break up in the burn out box and can't even begin to make a full pass. Pretty much everyone is like wtf did they even bother driving the car before bringing it to the track!
Posted By: Von

Re: what's wrong... - 04/12/12 04:11 AM

Quote:

And a low 11 sec car should definatly be able to hook on the street.

Posted By: Kevins493

Re: what's wrong... - 04/12/12 04:34 AM

W7, he lives in Montgomery County. When you cross the county line there is a sign that says
"Welcome to Mongomery county.
No fun allowed."

Re: what's wrong... - 04/12/12 04:41 AM

OH boy well that sucks. I quess were spoiled the closest police station is 45 minutes away. Makes tnt on the street easy plus lots of straights w no houses and almost no traffic. Lots of fun all summer long,
Posted By: 383man

Re: what's wrong... - 04/12/12 08:08 AM

I found out last year when I went to the track in Oct that I dont floor my car on the street and hold it down. When I hit the track with my new eng the car had drove fine and I would hit it a little once in a while but I just dont rip it to the floor and hold it there. At the track when I nailed it and started to run out first it started busting up and surging. I had not rejeted the carb and was to lean but I never knew it was that bad from driving on the street. I dont street race and as Mr Yuck said there is not many places around where I live to run it out hard and not worry about getting a ticket or having them impound the car. Its just not many places around here I feel safe winding it out and not worring about getting a ticket. Ron

Re: what's wrong... - 04/12/12 01:32 PM

"And a low 11 sec car should definatly be able to hook on the street"

well I can tell you I have nailed it more than a few times on the street and with the drag radails (street pressure at 28) They will spin as long as I want them to. The track is much better for traction.
I'm going to get this weekend. I'll let you all know if/what I find.
1. cap/rotor/coil
2. plug wires
3. grounds
4. check voltage
5. fuel flow
6. valve springs
Of course I have to fix the leaky axle seal 1st
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: what's wrong... - 04/12/12 07:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

And a low 11 sec car should definatly be able to hook on the street.

Posted By: viperblue72

Re: what's wrong... - 04/12/12 08:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I would start by putting the msd ignition in. If it breaks up in every gear, I doubt it is fuel problem. I had this problem with the stock ignition on my duster. Put in the msd 6al and problem ws solved.

Re: what's wrong... - 04/13/12 05:20 AM

Maybe u should try et streets. My car will dead hook on the street bad enough that the windshield looks like it's going to pop out. But it is slower 11.50's at 119 but with factory slant 6 springs no cage or frame connectors and swap meet shocks I would like to think that a lower et could hook just as good with a few suspension mods. Maybe not thought haven't been there yet will let ya know.
Gettin ready to order some new et streets 27-8.5's I can probably post a video from in front of the house! But for a full pass I'll have to drive a mile or so! love livin in the country.
But seriously good luck and hope u figure it out.

Re: what's wrong... - 04/13/12 01:57 PM

Quote:

Maybe u should try et streets. My car will dead hook on the street bad enough that the windshield looks like it's going to pop out. But it is slower 11.50's at 119 but with factory slant 6 springs no cage or frame connectors and swap meet shocks I would like to think that a lower et could hook just as good with a few suspension mods. Maybe not thought haven't been there yet will let ya know.
Gettin ready to order some new et streets 27-8.5's I can probably post a video from in front of the house! But for a full pass I'll have to drive a mile or so! love livin in the country.
But seriously good luck and hope u figure it out.

I'm definitely going to work on the 60 foot. (1.60 now I'd like 1.50)But I haven't had a BB be able to hook on the street even w/ stickies. Probably because when I'm driving around I have them at 28-30.
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: what's wrong... - 04/13/12 02:07 PM

I know when my duster did this, I tried different gas and it started doing the same thing yours does. I replaced everything and got nowhere. I drained the fuel and replaced with THE GOOD STUFF, and changed the plugs and she was back to normal. Oh and I drive my 9sec car on the street and it will not hook anywhere, let alone the fact you got no idea where a car may be pulling out of. Being a cop I have seen my share of crashes and I hate having to go tell wife, mom , dad and or kids that their loved one is dead cause they didn't want to spend $100 bucks on fuel, entry and food. Just not worth it IMO...

Re: what's wrong...***UPDATE*** - 04/13/12 02:33 PM

Quote:

I know when my duster did this, I tried different gas and it started doing the same thing yours does. I replaced everything and got nowhere. I drained the fuel and replaced with THE GOOD STUFF, and changed the plugs and she was back to normal. Oh and I drive my 9sec car on the street and it will not hook anywhere, let alone the fact you got no idea where a car may be pulling out of. Being a cop I have seen my share of crashes and I hate having to go tell wife, mom , dad and or kids that their loved one is dead cause they didn't want to spend $100 bucks on fuel, entry and food. Just not worth it IMO...

I was wondering if the fuel I got had been sitting in the ground for a while. I mean gas is expensive and I wonder if the 93 had been there a while or the tank was low. My dad said that his truck started running real bad after a fill up...he went nuts trying to fix it and it got better all of a sudden when he re-filled it at another station???
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: what's wrong... - 04/13/12 02:52 PM

We did, and changed it out and was better. I would throw some new fuel in it and change plugs and see if that helps. I have even started taking the fuel out in the winter to avoid this, heck it might be that it has water and setting separted it. Thats where I would start... Good luck and lets us know what you find.
Posted By: Max Wedge Savoy

Re: what's wrong... - 04/13/12 05:17 PM

I wouldn't rule out bad fuel just yet. I've had bad VP that acted like what you are experiencing.

I also had a bad alternator on my Challenger that was doing the same thing. Took me about 3 weeks to get that one nailed down. Replaced everything BUT the alternator.

Good luck!
Posted By: dragram440

Re: what's wrong... - 04/13/12 05:42 PM

I would assume the car drives real nice with radials on it. Going to a bias is gonna make it drive like crap like my car. Yes my Q.T. Pro's do hook on the street. But I will also be switching to E.T. street radials when mine are worn out.

Re: what's wrong... - 04/13/12 05:43 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't rule out bad fuel just yet. I've had bad VP that acted like what you are experiencing.

I also had a bad alternator on my Challenger that was doing the same thing. Took me about 3 weeks to get that one nailed down. Replaced everything BUT the alternator.

Good luck!

ouch. I'll drain the fuel out and use it in the lawn mower.
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: what's wrong... - 04/13/12 06:47 PM

Quote:

Good luck!

Wondered if anyone was going to mention this. Same problem I had. Pulled hard up to about 110-115 then would start breaking up. Replaced the almost new points and condenser in the Accel dist., new plugs, checked floats in carbs, etc. I was ready to pull my hair out and mentioned to my Dad the problem I was having. "Have you checked the battery and charging system?" Bingo. Bad alternator.

Tim

Re: what's wrong... - 04/13/12 07:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Good luck!

Wondered if anyone was going to mention this. Same problem I had. Pulled hard up to about 110-115 then would start breaking up. Replaced the almost new points and condenser in the Accel dist., new plugs, checked floats in carbs, etc. I was ready to pull my hair out and mentioned to my Dad the problem I was having. "Have you checked the battery and charging system?" Bingo. Bad alternator.

Tim

pretty sure it's good, but I'll double check everything.

Re: what's wrong... - 04/13/12 09:24 PM

So what have you checked and ruled out so far??

Re: what's wrong... - 04/14/12 12:13 AM

Quote:

So what have you checked and ruled out so far??

nothing, I fixed the axle seal. I have a wife and 2 kids that are very demanding of my time. (piano, karate, gymnastics, swimming, tutor..)I'm going to go out tonight and look at the simple stuff. And probaly get more into it tomorrow after swimming.

Re: what's wrong... - 04/14/12 02:44 AM

found one problem...maybe, the + coil wire was loooose as a goose. No idea how it got that way. I also replaced the cap and rotor, old one looked ok just not real nice and shiney. I can't start it tonight so maybe tomorrow I'll take it for a blast.
Posted By: RemCharger

Re: what's wrong... - 04/15/12 05:28 PM

Just got to the end of this saga,, and was going to agree with Greg, low voltage. Looks like you found it.
Chased this last year, think some wiring got resistance after I welded on the car...

Re: what's wrong... - 04/15/12 05:51 PM

Just went for blast, Either it was the loose coil wire or ground. I re-sanded the box bround and engine gorund and clean the terminals. Checked everything w/ a meter seems good. Went WAY out and hot a nice straight piece of empty road..(I do not like doing it) but had too, went thru 1-2 pretty hard turned around went thru 1-2-1/2 way thru 3rd (of cousre 1 and almost all of 2 was up in sopmek. But no brak down. So I'll get the MSD on and up the pressure next weekdn. Thanks for the tips.
\Jeff
Posted By: 383man

Re: what's wrong... - 04/16/12 02:50 AM

Good to hear you got it fixed. Ron

Re: what's wrong... - 04/16/12 03:12 AM

Congrats Now that's how ya figure it out. Long straight piece of road w no houses and no traffic only thing in danger is you're self.
I'm curious how much of an et change you will get with the msd.

Re: what's wrong... - 04/16/12 02:28 PM

Quote:

Congrats Now that's how ya figure it out. Long straight piece of road w no houses and no traffic only thing in danger is you're self.
I'm curious how much of an et change you will get with the msd.

No idea, I've swaped cars over before and never noticed a difference, buut they were all 12.90-13.50 cars...we shall see.
© 2024 Moparts Forums