Moparts

$20 drive shaft loop no drilling required

Posted By: 440Kilmartin

$20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/05/12 04:36 AM

69 roadrunner 4speed.....20dollar jegs loop.. with some extra bends bolted it to the cross member similar to the high dollar ones out there.
Save your money!

Attached picture 7151988-539744_10150917433237782_624292781_12903909_1487445697_n.jpg
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/05/12 04:46 AM

Is it bolted or welded to the loop? I think I'll try something like this. I bought a cheap one but it will run into the X pipe if I tried to mount it like it should be, and the less drilling on the car, the better.

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/05/12 04:52 AM

all bolted in using 2 existing crossmember bolts
Posted By: mopowers

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/05/12 08:18 PM

How bout another picture of the front of it? Looks real good.
Posted By: j.mcconnell

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/05/12 11:09 PM

Yea more pictures would be great! I have the low buck summit loop and was trying to find a way to get it in without pulling my seats and carpet
Posted By: rickraw

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/05/12 11:55 PM

looks like he ran 2 straight lenghts from cross member bolts to the hoop. good idea. i'd say the thickness of the straight peices should be heavier gauge then the hoop because of their length. i might make one myself.
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/06/12 12:25 AM

Quote:

looks like he ran 2 straight lenghts from cross member bolts to the hoop. good idea. i'd say the thickness of the straight peices should be heavier gauge then the hoop because of their length. i might make one myself.

+1...or at least some gussets...granted more pics would make it clearer as to what was done, but the length of those straight members may compromise the integrity of the loop. I would much rather drill a few holes in the floorpan than deal with the carnage should the U joint let go...
Posted By: Crizila

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/06/12 01:12 AM

Wonder if it will pass tech?
Posted By: Kevins493

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/06/12 01:13 AM

I would be worried about that failing if the driveshaft let go.. The straight piece wouldn't fail, per se, but it would break or rip out at the bolt at the crossmember due to the moment.
Posted By: SCATPACK 1

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/06/12 01:33 AM

I didn't think it would hold up either. I would like it better if it had a brace to one of the seat bracket bolts

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/06/12 02:35 AM

It looks like fairly thick steel, probably similar to what the $150+ that bolt to the crossmember are made of. I don't see it breaking up from a driveshaft rattling around in it for a few seconds.

I have the Allstar (generic) version in a box, if I can just bend the long pieces they intend to go across the width of the car, so that they go as they do in the OPs picture, it would seem fairly stout.

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/06/12 02:58 AM

after studing his pic again, i think the drive shaft bangin around in the hoop would catch the bolts & rip everything out. one way to find out would to try it. hope that wouldn't happen to anyone.
Posted By: earthmover

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/06/12 03:46 AM

how about just weld it and pull the shaft if needed to remove..(where the bolts are at)

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/06/12 04:56 AM

Quote:

after studing his pic again, i think the drive shaft bangin around in the hoop would catch the bolts & rip everything out. one way to find out would to try it. hope that wouldn't happen to anyone.

The loop part is a standard design, there are lots of cars driving around with driveshaft loops like that.

If a driveshaft banging around would rip the steel off the crossmember, it would be more likely to rip out the thin metal of the floorboards which is where they are typically attached.

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/06/12 05:08 AM

I had the car on my lift I grabbed the end of the loop and it was able to hold myself(200lbs) off the ground... Never budged... I'll get Another pic up
Posted By: HPMike

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required *DELETED* - 04/06/12 06:18 AM

Post deleted by HPMike

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/06/12 01:59 PM

Quote:

A driveshaft let go on one of the FAST RR's a while back. Broke the U joint at the front powershifting 1-2 on a 6"bias ply tire. Even with a properly installed, heavy duty loop(that did its job), it TORE UP the floors and crossmember and broke the transmission output shaft in two and shattered the tailhousing to pieces. You could probably hang 2500 pounds or more off a hardened 833 output shaft and not even bend it let alone break it...

MB

So all that damage happened because of (after) the driveshaft hitting the driveshaft loop? Sounds like the yoke got caught on the bolts inside the loop and torqued everything and broke it. For the driveshaft loop to rip the floor up, something more than a driveshaft rattling around inside it has to happen.
Posted By: HPMike

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required *DELETED* - 04/06/12 02:08 PM

Post deleted by HPMike

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/06/12 03:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

A driveshaft let go on one of the FAST RR's a while back. Broke the U joint at the front powershifting 1-2 on a 6"bias ply tire. Even with a properly installed, heavy duty loop(that did its job), it TORE UP the floors and crossmember and broke the transmission output shaft in two and shattered the tailhousing to pieces. You could probably hang 2500 pounds or more off a hardened 833 output shaft and not even bend it let alone break it...

MB

So all that damage happened because of (after) the driveshaft hitting the driveshaft loop? Sounds like the yoke got caught on the bolts inside the loop and torqued everything and broke it. For the driveshaft loop to rip the floor up, something more than a driveshaft rattling around inside it has to happen.

You missed the point...

The loop didnt rip the floor up because it wasnt attached at the floor. The loop "contained" the shaft. Im sure it violently "danced" around inside the loop, but the shaft never fell. It bent up the the loop terribly, but it didnt break away. It was one of the US CARTOOL ones that bolts to the 4 bolts of the crossmember.

MB

I didn't think your story made any connection between the carnage of the RR you describe, and whether the OPs driveshaft loop will work. Maybe that wasn't your point, even though you said "Even with a properly installed, heavy duty loop" it tore up the floor and crossmember, which certainly sounds like you were suggesting that the strength/design of the driveshaft loop played a large role in the damage to the RR. If not, what was the point, and what does the properly installed, heavy duty driveshaft loop have to do with a torn up RR?

Maybe your main point was that hanging weight off something is not a good test, if so it was only made at the end of your example. Fair enough, but it hardly addresses whether OPs driveshaft loop would work as intended if a driveshaft fell into it.
Posted By: B_Body_Bob

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/06/12 03:50 PM

Quote:

The loop didnt rip the floor up because it wasnt attached at the floor. The loop "contained" the shaft. Im sure it violently "danced" around inside the loop, but the shaft never fell. It bent up the the loop terribly, but it didnt break away. It was one of the US CARTOOL ones that bolts to the 4 bolts of the crossmember.

To me that confirms the modified loop would work fine to contain the shaft. From looking at the photo, it seems the OP's loop may be stouter than the US Car tool part is. The modification in this thread hangs the loop by the sides on two pieces of steel, the US Car Tool part hangs the loop by one piece of steel at the bottom.
Posted By: sshemi

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/06/12 04:57 PM

I cant see how it is att at the crossmember but if it is well done there is no way in ... It gets ripped off.
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/06/12 05:05 PM

Thinking along the lines of earthmover.

Weld the main loop together, removing the bolts sticking inside. Weld an extension on the outer sides and bolt that to your arms that attach to the crossmember.
Posted By: jcc

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/06/12 05:20 PM

I do like the idea of getting the inside nuts protruding on the inside out of the equation.

I would agree the loop mentioned is better then nothing, just not by much.

I am puzzled by those who are so adverse to drill a couple of holes, but have little worry about how much damage a DS can do with a combined 12"? overhanging/swinging yoke and u-joint at say 100 mph just under your seat. The rotating twisted mess will rip those arms off in less then a second (6000 rpms, thats 100rpms/hits).

The design is IMO "very lacking" (edited) and may only serve the purpose of passing tech. Even the other guys hanging crossmember safety loop is as per designer NOT for competition use, and I give him
for admitting that.
Posted By: j.mcconnell

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/06/12 07:26 PM

Quote:

combined 12"? overhanging/swinging yoke and u-joint at say 100 mph just under your seat. The rotating twisted mess will rip those arms off in less then a second (6000 rpms, thats 100rpms/hits).

Don't most u-joints are going to break at the initial hit, not at speed? I guess you could damage it and have it hold on for a while.

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/06/12 09:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

combined 12"? overhanging/swinging yoke and u-joint at say 100 mph just under your seat. The rotating twisted mess will rip those arms off in less then a second (6000 rpms, thats 100rpms/hits).

Don't most u-joints are going to break at the initial hit, not at speed? I guess you could damage it and have it hold on for a while.

That would be the case if one assumes that the u joint is the weakest link, and i don't believe that's the case enough to discount all other possible driveshaft failures

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/06/12 09:21 PM

You could drill a hole in the top, through the floor and put a plate on your floor. Run a bolt through to secure it in a different plane.

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/06/12 09:55 PM

a ujoint can let go anytime & anywhere. i have mine bolted to the floor boards with plates. don't think it's going anywhere. cheap is the wrong way to on safety or ur car.
Posted By: SCATPACK 1

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/06/12 11:42 PM

Quote:

I had the car on my lift I grabbed the end of the loop and it was able to hold myself(200lbs) off the ground... Never budged... I'll get Another pic up

Well that is good enough for me. I withdraw my earlier statement. OR... maybe you should hit it 24 times with a sledge hammer to simulate a broken front driveshaft and see if it moved... Just yanking your chain, if it will hold up 200 lbs, I would think a driveshaft would be no problem.

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/07/12 11:42 AM

My english is not good enough to explain why the loop doesnt need to be super strong. If the shaft breaks and is kept close to centerline it wont do much damage, if that makes any sence
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/07/12 12:32 PM

Quote:

Not all of them.
Many years ago I had a U-joint come apart just when I let off the throttle during a long overtaking action at the highway at a 'good rate of speed' (read: 100-110mph)...
The U-joint 'failure' could be traced back to my own stupid installation fault at the time, but luckily the driveshaft didn't entirely break loose from the transmission. The final result was a wrecked transmission with bend outputshaft and a carbottom covered in ATF.
Posted By: dvw

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/07/12 01:55 PM

First off I've had 4 U joints break at speed . The 1st was on my 4 speed Challenger power shifting 3rd. It broke the bell housing off the block from vibration due to losing a cap. However the joint did not break and the shaft stayed in the car with no floor damage.The 2nd was at Budds Creak at the end of a 130 MPH pass. The front cap broke,not the joint. It broke the tail shaft. Shaft stayed in the car with no damage. The 3rd was driver error . He put my LBA valve body in 1st gear at 100+. It ripped the U-joint straps of the rear axle,so the shaft flung around pretty good.. The loop did its job,bent the mufflers some. I was able to get the shaft rebalanced at Dyno-tech. The 4th, a buddy driving his 66 Coronet down the X-way with no loop. The front joint broke. Ruined the shaft,came through the floor,broke the console,broke the tail shaft housing. But the best was the fact that most of the damage came from the output shaft of the 727 being bent at a 15 degree angle. As you can see from my experiences you never know the amount of damage. The damage could be to yourself. This is why I always plate the floor where the loop bolts.
Doug

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/07/12 02:23 PM

Quote:

My english is not good enough to explain why the loop doesnt need to be super strong. If the shaft breaks and is kept close to centerline it wont do much damage, if that makes any sence

Your communication skills are fine, but what many seem to overlook is not all DS failures are front u joint, they can be the rear joint, can be the front yoke, can be the DS itself, and can happen at any speed, since higher speeds cause greater runout, increasing chance of DS failure. If the failed DS was pristine and perfectly balanced, containing it inside a small perfect circle would be no big deal, but we are usually talking about a hugely unbalanced twisted 5'? long flexible tube, inside an oval, powered by a 3,000lb car accelerated by a 3-4:1 rear end, for hundreds of revolutions, and the mass is constantly increasing in diameter each revolution, extremely multiplying the forces. Hanging 200lbs on it as a test is like checking your timing with a wet finger.
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/07/12 03:56 PM

Quote:

Hanging 200lbs on it as a test is like checking your timing with a wet finger.

The wet finger method has always done me right!

for setting timing of course

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/07/12 06:33 PM

The rule book doesnt say how secure it should be mounted right?

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/08/12 02:08 AM

Quote:

The wet finger method has always done me right!

for setting timing of course

So you are the one on utube

Rule book also says nothing about min IQ.

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 04/16/12 05:11 PM

LOOP PASSED TECH YESTERDAY AND TECH GUY SAID "THATS PERFECT"
Posted By: pacifica

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 01/28/13 04:48 AM

So I made my own bolt on driveshaft loop for a winter project.

Started with a $25.00 Summit kit like the OP.

Used a piece of scrap from the metal dumpster at work.

It is 1/4" plate.

Grade 8 hardware was under $10.00.

Attached picture 7564229-Driveshaftloop018(Small).jpg

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 01/28/13 04:50 AM

Attached picture 7564230-Driveshaftloop015(Small).jpg

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 01/28/13 04:54 AM

Attached picture 7564236-Driveshaftloop032(Small).jpg

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 01/28/13 04:58 AM

Bolt it onto the crossmember with existing through bolts. Drop back of driveshaft and slide hoop up to bracket and bolt together.

Attached picture 7564239-Driveshaftloop036(Small).jpg
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 01/28/13 05:29 AM

Quote:

Bolt it onto the crossmember with existing through bolts. Drop back of driveshaft and slide hoop up to bracket and bolt together.

Why do some of you guys insist on making them with such
a long lever arm.... that looks nice but you better
have a plate between it and your butt
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 01/28/13 05:48 AM

Been this way for 20 years

Attached picture 7564294-6.12.12026.jpg

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 01/28/13 05:58 AM

Quote:

Been this way for 20 years

I dont know if your rolling eyes were directed at me
or not but I even have a problem with yours... you
have what 1 bolt on each side 3/4 of the way out on
those long pieces of flat stock.... put a couple of
good bolts in CLOSE to the loop and cut 3/4 of that
wasted flat stock off
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 01/28/13 03:41 PM

No Raff,roll not directed at you.Recentley replaced the old one with a new one and just went into exsisting holes.The old loop was missing the top half and you have to get the whole kit so I just installed it complete.
Guess I could shorten it up a tad

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 01/28/13 04:53 PM

Quote:

No Raff,roll not directed at you.Recentley replaced the old one with a new one and just went into exsisting holes.The old loop was missing the top half and you have to get the whole kit so I just installed it complete.
Guess I could shorten it up a tad

OK... if you bolt it in close you can cut a good bit
of that flat stock off and have it work better and
look better(I hope you have a top half on the new one)
Posted By: 67Satty

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 01/28/13 05:29 PM

Here's a $54 one, no drilling required:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/330716703817?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Bolts to the crossmember. I always pass tech. Then again, the tech guy never looks under my car.

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 01/28/13 06:22 PM

Quote:

Here's a $54 one, no drilling required:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/330716703817?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Bolts to the crossmember. I always pass tech. Then again, the tech guy never looks under my car.

Passing tech and saving your butt are two different
worlds.... I'm sure I could put my rod caps on with
grade 2 bolts... it might live for a few turns but
then again maybe it wouldnt.... I wonder if there
is a reason for good quality bolts
EDIT
But use what ever you want.. its your car and your a$$
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 01/28/13 06:55 PM

Nice looking loops you guys built! I'd run either if I needed one.
Don't you like how this board looks at new ideas lol

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 01/28/13 07:13 PM

Quote:

Sorry... I look at them from a structural point..
do you think its wise to control a rotating item
thats way out of whack from 12"-14" away or right
next to it... you can use what ever floats your boat
but I was just trying to point out the reason it should
be closer

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 01/28/13 07:17 PM

Satty,

Hold 5lbs in your hand.

Then grab one end of a 2 foot long piece of wood and put the 5 pounds on the other end... A bit harder to hold up.

Nothing wrong with your loops, just the suspended ring and the way it will lever against your attachment points. I'd find a way to solidly mount the ring so there is another attachment point than just the crossmember bolts.

Decent design, just needs some refinements, IMO.

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 01/28/13 07:22 PM

Quote:

Satty,

Hold 5lbs in your hand.

Then grab one end of a 2 foot long piece of wood and put the 5 pounds on the other end... A bit harder to hold up.

Nothing wrong with your loops, just the suspended ring and the way it will lever against your attachment points. I'd find a way to solidly mount the ring so there is another attachment point than just the crossmember bolts.

Yep... like putting a bolt through the ring into the
floor pan with a reinforcement inside.... but that
takes drilling

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 01/29/13 12:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Satty,

Hold 5lbs in your hand.

Yep... like putting a bolt through the ring into the
floor pan with a reinforcement inside.... but that
takes drilling

As much as I don't want to drill a hole in my floor

I'm afraid I know that in order for the loop to have a chance

at being effective I'm gonna have to plate the floor at the top

like Mr P. says above

My car is street car more than race car but I made more than

90 passes at the track last year [with NO loop] and I think I've

pushed my luck long enough.

Can't wait till this is put away and this

returns
Posted By: Crizila

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 01/29/13 03:34 AM

Quote:

New ideas don't mean good ideas. Running a lever arm that long to support the loop is a BAD idea. It will just be more shrapnel heading your way with any kind of front yoke /cross failure - and possibly even with a rear failure. Loop support should be in line with the loop and bolted through the floor / frame with at least 4 bolts. JMO. I have experienced shaft failures from both ends. The can be very mild or extremely violent. You gotta build for the latter.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 01/29/13 04:20 AM

Over the last 40 plus years of racing I have yet to break a front u joint, twisted off drive shafts,never broke a tail shaft , spread rear yokes, blew out lots of rear joints. That $20 dollar universal loop is all you need. NHRA says it must be mounted within 6" of the joint. Keep it centered at 6" from the Joint and the bolts won't catch and tear your stuff.

Re: $20 drive shaft loop no drilling required - 01/29/13 05:09 AM

Quote:

Over the last 40 plus years of racing I have yet to break a front u joint, twisted off drive shafts,never broke a tail shaft , spread rear yokes, blew out lots of rear joints. That $20 dollar universal loop is all you need. NHRA says it must be mounted within 6" of the joint. Keep it centered at 6" from the Joint and the bolts won't catch and tear your stuff.

I was gonna let this drop BUT I cant and Steve I'm
suprized you would say its good enough.... if the
front breaks(I've seen a few) and that thing bends
down, it will bend enough to allow the shaft to exit
the loop.... I guess none of you guys ever seen a
car pole vault... all he has to do is bolt the loop
to the floor on that design... that'll make it 100%
better
© 2024 Moparts Forums