Moparts

How NOT to install a balancer.

Posted By: 408strokerdart

How NOT to install a balancer. - 03/25/12 03:35 PM

Finally finding the time to post another picture or two from the engine tear down. I think the key would have liked to be aligned better before cranking down on the balancer. Second picture is my (brand new at the time expensive ATI balancer).

Posted By: Bill MeLater

Re: How NOT to install a balancer. - 03/25/12 03:55 PM

Great pics. Amazing to see how far it actually went on with the key like that. Anyone have tips for avoiding this prblem on install?
Posted By: jamesc

Re: How NOT to install a balancer. - 03/25/12 04:01 PM

it's just a matter of being careful when you start the damper on (eyeball the end), i've seen this too many times. when in doubt remove the tool or bolt and check it. with a damper that fits tight you need to be even more careful as you can't tell all that well if it's mashing the key. as tight as some of these are it won't move the damper to align itself either if it's off a little
Posted By: rickraw

Re: How NOT to install a balancer. - 03/25/12 04:06 PM

i always hone the balancer so it just slides on with some drag. antiseize the snout, line up the keyway & press it on. never had that problem. i'd say that mess is fixable. seeya.
Posted By: SSAAHemiFan

Re: How NOT to install a balancer. - 03/25/12 04:33 PM

probably was buzzed on with a impact - at least it looks like the crank keyway wasn't damaged.

I believe the hub can be changed on some of the ATI dampers if your concerned - Art is the guy to ask there.
Posted By: 408strokerdart

Re: How NOT to install a balancer. - 03/26/12 03:34 AM

Not to worried about the parts....Damper hub can be dressed up, crank snout looks fine, key and lower gear will be a PITA to remove. These were new parts when assembled. I have put a small chamfer on the hub keyway before to make it easier to align just so this doesn't happen. Of coarse im not a professional though. LOL.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: How NOT to install a balancer. - 03/26/12 03:38 AM

Thats just wrong.
© 2024 Moparts Forums