Moparts

Help me pick out a shifter!

Posted By: W9 Dart

Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/18/12 08:28 PM

What shifter should I get for my MRVB 727? I was looking at these but not opposed to any really.. street strip car.. want something nice done right the 1st time! Street/strip kenne bell gen 3 hemi build... making approx 600rwhp
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-616332/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TAC-70001B/
http://www.lyonsperformance.com/winters-sidewinder-shifters-p-38.html
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/18/12 08:35 PM

Either the Turbo Action, or a PPP shift are the best...Your third link there didn't work, so I am not sure what it is.

Things to consider:

-Do you NEED rear cable entry? Some do just to keep the cable short and off the headers.

-Do you need or will you need shift assist, air or electric?

-How well and consistent are the detents, and can it miss a gear?

-Is the reverse lockout able to be used with one hand? Comes in handy when all strapped in.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/18/12 08:53 PM

I've been very happy with the B&M Pro-Ratchet
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-80842/

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/18/12 08:55 PM

Hows this?http://www.lyonsperformance.com/winters-sidewinder-shifters-p-38.html

I'm not using electronics.. i'm also having custom headers made.. I have heard a lot of good things about the PPP.. looks mean a lot to me as well so it needs to have good curb appeal!
Posted By: ChrisJohnston669

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/18/12 09:36 PM

ppp!
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/18/12 09:42 PM

Maybe you want this version
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-81120/
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/18/12 10:06 PM

i'm with mr.p on the pro ratchet. has neutral & reverse switches, 1 hand for reverse lockout & positive shifts. i like it. seeya.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/19/12 12:12 AM

I've had and used a lot of different shifters overthe years, mild to wild, no PPP though I like and use the Winters and Fairbanks shifters now They have the cable exit the rear of the shifter and mount the tranny cable on the back of the tranny pan keeping the cable away from the headers and starter They use a bell crank and rod to the shifte arm, real simple and reliable
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/19/12 12:19 AM

Quote:

ppp!

http://www.precisionperformance.com/home.htm

You wont be sorry, they're great shifters.

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/19/12 12:33 AM

Quote:

I've had and used a lot of different shifters overthe years, mild to wild, no PPP though I like and use the Winters and Fairbanks shifters now They have the cable exit the rear of the shifter and mount the tranny cable on the back of the tranny pan keeping the cable away from the headers and starter They use a bell crank and rod to the shifte arm, real simple and reliable

I'm real intrigued by the winters shifter.. To me it looks the best out of all of them but your the only person that I have ever heard of using it.. Was is on a street or strip set up? Of course a lot of people are saying get the PPP or Turbo action and don't look back!
Posted By: cagebob1

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/19/12 12:35 AM

I had a Fairbanks many years ago...and loved it. the winters is almost exactly the same. simple and reliable is the way to go...at least for me
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/19/12 01:15 AM

PPP here !
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/19/12 01:29 AM

Where do you guys buy the Winters and Fairbanks shifters?
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/19/12 02:00 AM

PPP here.

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/19/12 02:02 AM

I think the handle is to short on the ppp unit.

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/19/12 02:43 AM

Quote:

Where do you guys buy the Winters and Fairbanks shifters?

I bought all three of the ones i had used, You can still, I think, buy direct from Winters I bought a kit for one that I bought last year that didn't have the tranny parts, shifter and cable only

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/19/12 02:53 AM

Do you have pics of the winters of it in the car? How did you like driving it on the street? i think this ket comes with everything..

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/19/12 02:56 AM

I used the winters shifter in a buddys car and didnt like it. but then against i dont like gate shifters anyways.
Posted By: rt66jim

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/19/12 03:07 AM

I really like my Winters. I've had B&M, Mr Gskt and Hurst. The Winters is the best.

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/19/12 03:15 AM

pictures of winters installed in car please.. also how did u like it on the street?

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/19/12 03:35 AM

This is the second one I've used in a street and strip car, I like it better than any other brand or type I've used That is why I bought the third one, it will go in a tube chassis car, If I get better hope and change in the near future The shifter and Morse cable(1/4 inch I think) where originally designed to be used in heavy comercial trucks like cab over garbage trucks that would be used hundreds oftimes a day, day in and day out The T/A are the same shifter that they changed to be front exit and conventional cable to the trans, not rear exit with the sidewinder shifter like the Fairbanks and Winters are I think Winters made the shifters for Fairbanks originally and then started selling them direct later, not real sure on that though Winters still makes the quick change rear ends for a lot of the dirt roundy rounder racers use

Attached picture 7125149-MVC-041S.JPG

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/19/12 04:05 AM

Would the rear exit be better than the front exit on a mrvb 727?

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/19/12 04:13 AM

Quote:

Would the rear exit be better than the front exit on a mrvb 727?

I like the rear exit for the header clearances

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/19/12 04:34 AM

Well I'm pretty sold on this unit... It looks very similar to the cheetah and everyone raves about it. If this winters is infact made by the same company then it's a win win.. I get the looks of the winters but the proven performance of the cheetah.
Posted By: Cudafied

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/19/12 01:18 PM

Another vote for the PPP shifter, I had a Fairbanks/Winters shifter in my car for almost 20 years and loved it until I got the PPP (I also loved my mechanical tach). PPP is in a different league and decade.

Before

After, I got rid of the mechanical tach, the old fairbanks shifter and rewired the car.

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/19/12 02:09 PM

Why do u like it better? Also the pop looks more of a pure race application shifter? Doesn't look as clean as the winters bc of all the cables showing.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/19/12 03:20 PM

Quote:

I've been very happy with the B&M Pro-Ratchet
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-80842/

Same here. I have an air shifter hooked up to it, no problems.

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/19/12 07:22 PM

I heard those PPP shifter are $600? I saw there web site and it looked like they were $415 to me? Is that without the cable, tranny linkage, etc? What did you guys pay for yours?
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/19/12 07:30 PM

Quote:

I heard those PPP shifter are $600? I saw there web site and it looked like they were $415 to me? Is that without the cable, tranny linkage, etc? What did you guys pay for yours?

That's in the ballpark for the one I bought (600.00). Mine is a spring assist electric shifter. I also had an air activated shifter that my son put in his car. They are crazy fast. The spring on my shifter is self cocking when you put it in low and helps out by taking the load off the electric solenoid. The 415 dollar one is probably the price on the manual shift model.

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/19/12 08:11 PM

I had a ppp in my dart. I ran the neutral safety/line lock wires under the shifter so they were hidden. and the cable was a rear exit and it went right through the tunnel. Nice thing about these shifters is you can get them anyway you want. reverse pattern with forward or rear exit and foward with either way!

Attached picture 7125971-dartinterior.jpg
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/19/12 08:13 PM

PPP
Posted By: sdaurity

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/19/12 08:37 PM

I just recently bought a PPP the lower line, manual shift, no buttons etc with cable, all brackets etc was a little over 300$. I got it from Holt race cars on here, great to deal with.
Posted By: Ben Holt

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 03/19/12 10:22 PM

Glad you like it, Steve! Thanks for the business!

I can get you as good a deal as anyone out there, so if anyone is in the market for a PPP package, please feel free to let me know!

Thanks!
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 06/11/12 05:12 PM

Does anyone know of a reverse manual valve body shifter w/reverse lock-out that can be shifted from high gear into neutral?

I've been doing it with a Hurst 1/4 stick, but it's about time I change to something better. I just like to go into neutral past the finish line.
Posted By: StrokerAspen

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 06/11/12 07:30 PM

Just put a reverse pattern Cheetah SCS in my car. Much better than my old B&M. All of those look like good choices though.

-Kenny
Posted By: mokid

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 06/11/12 08:24 PM

PPP all the way great looking piece, you can have air shift, plus trans brake installed, the only thing is you must get all linkage/cables on perfect or you will have shift problems if your using a air shift.
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 06/11/12 08:35 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know of a reverse manual valve body shifter w/reverse lock-out that can be shifted from high gear into neutral?

I've been doing it with a Hurst 1/4 stick, but it's about time I change to something better. I just like to go into neutral past the finish line.

maybe i'm lost here but how can you do that without going down through 2nd and 1st? i think i've seen VBs that have a neutral after 3rd and would guess in this case a 4 speed shifter would work. you could pull it from 3rd into neutral
Posted By: HOTMOPR

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 06/11/12 09:14 PM

I guess I am one of the few that prefers ratchet shifters!
Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 06/11/12 09:48 PM

Quote:

I guess I am one of the few that prefers ratchet shifters!

Same here

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 06/11/12 10:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

maybe i'm lost here but how can you do that without going down through 2nd and 1st? i think i've seen VBs that have a neutral after 3rd and would guess in this case a 4 speed shifter would work. you could pull it from 3rd into neutral

After 30+ years, I got my fingers coordinated so I can manipulate the lever fast enough to go from 3rd to neutral. But about once a year, I hang it momentarily in 2nd. But between that and going from 1-3 (twice this past weekend), Old habits die hard, but I figure it's about time I get something else that's completely idiot-proof...... plus I'm getting older! It cost me an important race this past weekend.

I'll probably end up with a ratchet shifter and just slow down in=gear. I don't want to go through the trouble of a different valve body.
Posted By: sdaurity

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 06/11/12 10:53 PM

Got my first PPP a few months back from John Holt race cars on here and have not used it yet but love the look and feel. I got the cheaper one, manual shift all the brackets, cable etc. was a touch over 300$
Posted By: 383man

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 06/11/12 11:30 PM

My son and I like the B & M Pro Stick. Its not alot of money and is so simple to use. And works great racing. Ron

Posted By: 67coronetman

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 06/12/12 12:06 AM

Nice car by the way.! Well in my 66 satellite i had the Cheetah SCS and i loved it but i went to a 4-speed for now but i do really miss my auto at times.! But i say pick what you like and feel comfortable to you.!

Quote:

What shifter should I get for my MRVB 727? I was looking at these but not opposed to any really.. street strip car.. want something nice done right the 1st time! Street/strip kenne bell gen 3 hemi build... making approx 600rwhp
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-616332/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TAC-70001B/

Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 06/12/12 02:10 AM

Carbon fiber pistol grip!!!

Attached picture 7246464-bmratchet.jpg
Posted By: Plumb Wired

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 06/12/12 02:18 AM

Tranzact pro tree transbrake valve body w/ clean neutral, TA Cheetah shifter.

Attached picture 7246477-DSC00949.JPG
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 06/12/12 04:03 AM

I only use one shifter in all my cars, the B&M Pro Ratchet!
PPP shifters are VERY pricey and it's too easy to miss a gear with the Turbo Action Cheetah. Just my opinion.
Posted By: BEEQUIK

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 06/12/12 04:11 AM

Hurst Pistol grip quarter stick looks awesome and works the same!! just bought one for my dart,had one in the bee for years and worked great!!...

Attached picture 7246702-beequikat.jpg
Posted By: racer_amx

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 06/12/12 04:13 AM

Im voting pistol grip

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 06/12/12 11:08 AM

Quote:

PPP shifter Look at picture

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 06/12/12 01:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hmmmm.
Unless someone knows for sure, I'll have to call them. But it looks like it may require a special valve body. If not, it would need a pretty complicated and strong spring-loaded mechanism inside to actually shift the trans into neutral when the shifter is pulled all the way back.
Posted By: moparguy7074

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 06/12/12 01:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hmmmm.
Unless someone knows for sure, I'll have to call them. But it looks like it may require a special valve body. If not, it would need a pretty complicated and strong spring-loaded mechanism inside to actually shift the trans into neutral when the shifter is pulled all the way back.

Yes, you do need a special valve body that has a clean neutral after high gear.
Posted By: Plumb Wired

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 06/12/12 01:55 PM

Quote:

I only use one shifter in all my cars, the B&M Pro Ratchet!
PPP shifters are VERY pricey and it's too easy to miss a gear with the Turbo Action Cheetah. Just my opinion.

How do you miss a gear with the T/A Cheetah? I just smack it and it moves one gear. I guess if you had the wrong gate plate for your valve body it could happen but I've ran one in a couple of cars and never had any issues.

I've tried to order PPP shifters in the past as I do like the looks and features but their customer service was.... let's say lacking.

Mike Gray

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 06/13/12 10:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hmmmm.

Yes, you do need a special valve body that has a clean neutral after high gear.

The clean neutral valve body is a transbrake valve body. If you look at the picture you'll notice neutral & reverse are lined up, to get into reverse move the shifter to neutral then push down the silver button on the top of the handle and squeeze the lever at the same time this will trigger the micro switch in the shifter to activate reverse.
Posted By: Snoddas

Re: Help me pick out a shifter! - 06/13/12 01:01 PM

Quote:

pictures of winters installed in car please.. also how did u like it on the street?

Sorry for the lame photo...

Attached picture 7248429-winters.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums