Moparts

Making my own diaper

Posted By: HEMIFRED

Making my own diaper - 03/18/12 06:06 AM

I decided to make my own diaper.
There’s no way I can go wrong since there are no specifications or even suggestions from NHRA
as to what qualifies an acceptable diaper.
The one I bought was a real joke using a nylon type material that easy to melt.
The straps were no better and above all the catches PLASTIC just like on a child’s nap sack.
The only positive thing that can be said about it was the fit was acceptable.
That did not take very much as there is only one end stitched to conform to the pan.

A yard of material at a local source at a cost of 9.00 that is much better quality and not nylon based. .
That is enough to material make three diapers. It is used on boats for seating.
To replace the plastic catches and nylon straps I ordered 6 canvas belts with D rings at 2.95 each from EBay.
So about 21.00 is the cost for all necessary materials.
I will take it to be stitched like the old one not sure of the cost.
Only part stitched to form is the front end which gets a pocket 7” deep and 9”wide.
The only place it need be stitched is to hold the straps to the diaper.

picture is of my old one

Attached picture 7123812-diper.jpg
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: Making my own diaper - 03/18/12 01:49 PM

Good thread. MOre pics as you go.
Posted By: moparacer

Re: Making my own diaper - 03/18/12 02:50 PM

I was going to make one for mine also untill I seen what you can buy one for.

I had J&J make one for my car and other then a couple little modifications it really fits great.

For ballistic material and $150 cost wasn't worth the headache making one myself.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Making my own diaper - 03/18/12 02:56 PM

I guess I better get my industrial sewing machine
back up and running... I re-did the interior in my
boat a few years ago so I would think I can make a diaper
Posted By: joshking440

Re: Making my own diaper - 03/18/12 03:00 PM

Fred, at your age...that will be the first of many diapers you will have to change....

Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Making my own diaper - 03/18/12 03:38 PM

Quote:

Fred, at your age...that will be the first of many diapers you will have to change....

Josh,you been hangin out at the other 2 sites too much Even you can be a dipstick once in a while

Fred,the material you purchased,is it fireproof??Is the ballistic material the "other guys " use fireproof?
I was waiting for you to calm down and come up with a solution for theses new rules with no rules
I do believe that the diaper should wrap around the outside of the oil lines where they enter the oil pan and come off the oil pump and only have a hole for the centerlink.I still have some expences that are in front of the diaper on the "LIST"

Attached picture 7124051-Aug11032(2).jpg
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Making my own diaper - 03/18/12 04:03 PM

OK, so Fred will be wearing a fireproof diaper. You can never be too safe.
Posted By: mr_340

Re: Making my own diaper - 03/18/12 05:46 PM

Quote:

OK, so Fred will be wearing a fireproof diaper. You can never be too safe.

I didn't know Fred liked Meskin food? Gotta watch those habanero peppers.

Re: Making my own diaper - 03/18/12 06:08 PM

Fred... do you have a pic of the material you plan on
using... maybe a source for it also.... I'm going to
look into making one also... thanks
Posted By: joshking440

Re: Making my own diaper - 03/18/12 06:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Josh,you been hangin out at the other 2 sites too much Even you can be a dipstick once in a while

Coming from you... the king internet stalker, that holds little to no substance....

Re: Making my own diaper - 03/18/12 11:18 PM

I canceled the belts due to higher cost of shippping and instead ordered 30 1" stainlesss steel "D" rings at a cost of 17.00. The revised total cost for material to make two diapers 25.00 .Before I figured one cost to 21.00 but the belts were only 2.95 but another 3.50 to ship.

the material I bought is nothing special other than just a bit stiffer and stronger. There were many others that would have worked out fine. I did not look for fire retardant type.

here's a pic new on the left

Attached picture 7124676-002140.jpg

Re: Making my own diaper - 03/18/12 11:22 PM

Pic didnt work... have a pic of the material you used

Re: Making my own diaper - 03/18/12 11:27 PM

here's a close up

Attached picture 7124687-00440.jpg

Re: Making my own diaper - 03/18/12 11:30 PM

the only stitching up front is a pocket as wide as the pan and about 4" deep. this is real basic

Attached picture 7124688-0061.jpg

Re: Making my own diaper - 03/18/12 11:33 PM

inside stitch work

Attached picture 7124693-01240.jpg

Re: Making my own diaper - 03/18/12 11:38 PM

I neglected to mention that in leiu of the belts I decided to use some old 1" tie down straps.

the rear has a similar pocket but only 2" deep.
this combined with the one in the front do a decent job of having the diaper conform to the pan so it sits inside it.

Attached picture 7124699-00940.jpg

Re: Making my own diaper - 03/18/12 11:42 PM

inside stitching rear pocket

Attached picture 7124708-01040.jpg
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Making my own diaper - 03/18/12 11:46 PM

u can call it depends #2 Freddy

Re: Making my own diaper - 03/19/12 12:07 AM

as far as fit like I said before the old was ok and here's a better pic you can see how it covered the dual lines very nicely.

I should note here that my Olson pan is only about 5" deep in front and 6.5" in the rear. The sides are about 8" in the front and taper up to 10" at the rear. the same exact pattern as mine can be used with deeper pans just account for the longer sides. If the side panels are too tall they will tend to fall over and away from the block. My guess is stopping at the freeze plug is high enough

Attached picture 7124743-diaper.jpg

Re: Making my own diaper - 03/19/12 12:17 AM

forgot to show the tabs that attach it in this case the header bolts were used. I have not attempted to find them for sale as I have one set and will look later.

Attached picture 7124756-tabs.jpg

Re: Making my own diaper - 03/19/12 12:17 AM

I'm thinking about putting a elastic band in it at
2 points.. about 1/2 way up and near the top... all
the way around it(inside)just to hold it tight

Re: Making my own diaper - 03/19/12 12:41 AM

Quote:

I think being near heat would stretch the elastic?

as well as mine fit there would be no need for it

Re: Making my own diaper - 03/19/12 12:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Well when I get around to making one I'll see how snug
it fits... but they make some industrial elastic

Re: Making my own diaper - 03/19/12 01:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well when I get around to making one I'll see how snug
it fits... but they make some industrial elastic

that's why I chose a stiffer material. I thought I could also add a liner of something even stiffer
Posted By: pattyboy 572

Re: Making my own diaper - 03/19/12 01:18 AM

Use this to make the straps excellent heat resistance and easy to work with.......http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DEI-010120/....I used it when i modified the jegs one i paid 70.00 thats NOW 119.00 pattyboy (I didnt realize we were all so domestic)
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Making my own diaper - 05/08/13 06:44 PM

Damn H-fred ... you are a multi-talented guy ... why don't you make a FEW of these up
Posted By: Gearhead383

Re: Making my own diaper - 05/09/13 01:53 PM

Wow Fred, that looks great! I can see your putting a great deal of effort into this however, you statement below is incorrect.
Quote:

There’s no way I can go wrong since there are no specifications or even suggestions from NHRA as to what qualifies an acceptable diaper.

In the general section of the 2013 rule book, it states:
1:8 LOWER ENGINE CONTAINMENT DEVICE
In classes where specified, must utilize an NHRA-accepted lower engine oil-retention device.

In the NHRA Accepted Products page, it show which of these devices are approved.

I'm only bringing this up because I would hate to see someone work so hard on making such a great product only to be turned away at a tech inspection. Hopefully it will never happen, but if it does, this might be why.

Re: Making my own diaper - 05/09/13 02:48 PM

Quote:

Wow Fred, that looks great! I can see your putting a great deal of effort into this however, you statement below is incorrect.
Quote:

There’s no way I can go wrong since there are no specifications or even suggestions from NHRA as to what qualifies an acceptable diaper.

In the general section of the 2013 rule book, it states:
1:8 LOWER ENGINE CONTAINMENT DEVICE
In classes where specified, must utilize an NHRA-accepted lower engine oil-retention device.

In the NHRA Accepted Products page, it show which of these devices are approved.

I'm only bringing this up because I would hate to see someone work so hard on making such a great product only to be turned away at a tech inspection. Hopefully it will never happen, but if it does, this might be why.

accepted mens the company paid to have it "accepted" and put on the list. in no way does a sportsman diaper meet any safety criteria or SFI specs.

Re: Making my own diaper - 05/09/13 03:52 PM

Quote:

accepted mens the company paid to have it "accepted" and put on the list. in no way does a sportsman diaper meet any safety criteria or SFI specs.

I agree with you 100% and that is why I didn't mention anything about any SFI specs. I was simply pointing out that NHRA only accepts/allows sportsman diapers shown on their list. If a sportsman diaper used is not on their list, whether it's home made or produced by a manufacture that was not listed, they (NHRA) might not allow the car to compete if the class requires one. Racer's home tracks probably won't have any problems with it however, divisional or national event racers might run into a problem. I mostly race divisionals and every time I go through tech, they ask me who is the manufacture of my oil retention device. I'm not looking to start any . As stated earlier, I would hate to see someone invest so much time making a quality product only to get shot down because it's not on some dumb list.
Posted By: deaks

Re: Making my own diaper - 05/09/13 07:13 PM

If that's the case, couldn't Fred just stitch or glue the logo onto the homemade one.
Mick

Re: Making my own diaper - 05/09/13 08:10 PM

Quote:

If that's the case, couldn't Fred just stitch or glue the logo onto the homemade one.
Mick

I bet they wouldn't know the difference.
Posted By: radar

Re: Making my own diaper - 05/10/13 12:00 AM

I used to work in a theatre- they had a fire-proofing liquid we sprayed on with one of those pump pressurized garden sprayers. Dunno if it would be worth the trouble for a gas or oil fueled fire but it might stop a diaper-fueled fire.
© 2024 Moparts Forums