Moparts

I bet I'm the 1st to ever do this!

Posted By: instigator

I bet I'm the 1st to ever do this! - 03/17/12 01:22 PM

Welded the 16 extra lugs on to my Resto block to help hold down the Indy 360-2 heads. Used the head as a template using a drill sleeve in the extra head bolt holes to line them up perfectly...got 3/8 ARP studs going in them....used stainless mig wire and Argon/helium to keep from cracking.....hope it works...and helps.

Don't try this with roller lifters.....I am using Smith machine composite solid flat-tappets and I ground out just enough material for them to sneak by.
Posted By: sshemi

Re: I bet I'm the 1st to ever do this! - 03/17/12 01:32 PM

I will be impressed if they stay there
Posted By: slippery440

Re: I bet I'm the 1st to ever do this! - 03/17/12 02:15 PM

Are you going to at least deck the block to get those add a holes to the right height? If you are runing that much boost to that motor to lift the heads,you may be adding more holes to the main caps also. I would get a patten pending lable on this idea. Do you live in PA and Amish?
Posted By: rickraw

Re: I bet I'm the 1st to ever do this! - 03/17/12 02:32 PM

x2
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: I bet I'm the 1st to ever do this! - 03/17/12 03:05 PM

Something similar used to be done on "B" blocks so Hemi Heads could be used on them...
Posted By: Stanton

Re: I bet I'm the 1st to ever do this! - 03/17/12 03:09 PM

If they were migged I doubt they'll hold. Just the fact that we can see the parting lines at the top tells me you haven't penetrated the whole piece. You would have been better off to build up all those areas with weld bead than trying to weld on blocks. Good luck tho'!
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: I bet I'm the 1st to ever do this! - 03/17/12 03:25 PM

its something i would try. good luck
Posted By: A57_RT

Re: I bet I'm the 1st to ever do this! - 03/17/12 03:26 PM

No, ive seen many hacked up blocks ....id not post that kind of work untill I seen if it worked or not and then....sorta like the fat chick in high school, alot of fun until your friends see ya on it.
Posted By: Dodgeguy101

Re: I bet I'm the 1st to ever do this! - 03/17/12 04:38 PM

Quote:

No, ive seen many hacked up blocks ....id not post that kind of work untill I seen if it worked or not and then....sorta like the fat chick in high school, alot of fun until your friends see ya on it.

At least your trying, but if it does work, you will only find the next weak link.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: I bet I'm the 1st to ever do this! - 03/17/12 04:48 PM

I hope they don't break off and go through the engine. Hope it works out for you.
Posted By: A57_RT

Re: I bet I'm the 1st to ever do this! - 03/17/12 04:53 PM

I do hope it does work for you though, ive a set of jacked up heads, im giving a 50/50 chance on them working.

Gotta think positive but at the same time....wonder a bit.

Re: I bet I'm the 1st to ever do this! - 03/17/12 05:50 PM

The lugs are welded on the sides and on the bottom...not across the top, which is why the parting line can be seen...I feel confident on the welds....I don't mind being different and going outside the box. I'll know when the studs are tightened down if all holds well. Half of the thread is in the meat of the block where the original lugs were milled off due to tooling of the 59 degree lifter bore..This is a R3 block with 4 bolt mains, heavier walls, bulkheads,deck, and filled pan rails, Manley pro-series rods , callies crank and custom Ross turbo pistons and pins, so there ain't much left in the way of the next weakest link!

Waiting on 18 bolt head gaskets from SCE (coppers)
Posted By: dodger mope

Re: I bet I'm the 1st to ever do this! - 03/17/12 06:27 PM

I remember seeing a B engine with hemi heads on a prostocker late 70's early 80's. I know for a fact he had no throuble. The lugs both bolted and welded.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: I bet I'm the 1st to ever do this! - 03/17/12 06:33 PM

I have welded on blocks many times but all I ever
used was nickle rod.... hope it works out for you...
easy way to test it is... hit it with a hammer...
hit the lug you welded on
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: I bet I'm the 1st to ever do this! - 03/17/12 06:44 PM

Quote:

I remember seeing a B engine with hemi heads on a prostocker late 70's early 80's. I know for a fact he had no throuble. The lugs both bolted and welded.

Yes, it was a guy named Charlie Malyuke who raced raced in Pro Stock and built some low deck big block "Hemi's" for himself and John Hagen around 1980-81 - 386 ci. John Hagen and that combo even set a MPH record. NHRA went to the 500 ci format in 1982.

Re: I bet I'm the 1st to ever do this! - 03/17/12 07:28 PM

Quote:

I have welded on blocks many times but all I ever
used was nickle rod.... hope it works out for you...
easy way to test it is... hit it with a hammer...
hit the lug you welded on

Exactly why I used stainless wire (for the nickel and similar expansion to cast) and I ran the studs in with stacked washers, torqued to 45ft lbs which is what they will be torqued to and I peened it with a hammer about 5-6 times each.

I always wonder in the back of my head sometimes on the things I do, but every reward in life involves risks.
Posted By: reknapp52

Re: I bet I'm the 1st to ever do this! - 03/18/12 04:17 AM

I think I still have that magazine article covering Charlie Malyuke's modifications--if I remember correctly, he used a silicon-bronze weld process.

Attached picture 7123727-LODRS_4-2_204.jpg
Posted By: tubtar

Re: I bet I'm the 1st to ever do this! - 03/18/12 04:26 AM

I saw bolt on bosses for a big Ford and I liked the idea of it......A-460 heads on a stock block for po' folks like myself.
I never got that far , but I had some crazy combos back then because I would buy stuff , then figure out how to use it.
This works on paper..........let us know how it holds up on steel.
Posted By: codfish

Re: I bet I'm the 1st to ever do this! - 03/18/12 04:31 AM

Good Luck to ya. Trying something different is what this hobby is all about

Just make sure you epoxy in some screen over the cam galley, just in case.

codfish
Posted By: Mad Dart

Re: I bet I'm the 1st to ever do this! - 03/18/12 06:02 AM

Quote:

I think I still have that magazine article covering Charlie Malyuke's modifications--if I remember correctly, he used a silicon-bronze weld process.

I am sure it will hold since them extra Studs/Nuts are only going to be torqued to 45lbs. You only need enough so you don't pop a lung!!

Re: I bet I'm the 1st to ever do this! - 03/18/12 02:54 PM

Not a bad idea on the screens......just in case..or any other stuff from falling down there....like lash caps, broke rockers and such.
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: I bet I'm the 1st to ever do this! - 03/18/12 04:10 PM

Quote:

Something similar used to be done on "B" blocks so Hemi Heads could be used on them...

The "B" block I saw was at Bartons, looked like the bosses were brass welded (brazed) on.
Posted By: slippery440

Re: I bet I'm the 1st to ever do this! - 03/18/12 04:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I am sure it will hold since them extra Studs/Nuts are only going to be torqued to 45lbs. You only need enough so you don't pop a lung!!

They may hold up to the 45 pounds of torque but how about the pressure when he puts the boost to it and the heads try to lift off the block?
Posted By: 340B5

Re: I bet I'm the 1st to ever do this! - 03/18/12 04:25 PM

Even if the lugs would break, they should stay on the bolt. Maybe a little loctite? I welded one of my iron heads, and the weld was to tough, the machinist couldn't cut it. I had to use a grinding stone myself to machine it.

Re: I bet I'm the 1st to ever do this! - 03/18/12 05:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

They may hold up to the 45 pounds of torque but how about the pressure when he puts the boost to it and the heads try to lift off the block?

The bolt is stretched to tension, just like a rod bolt, which is exerting most of it's elastic force already, if put onder much more stress, then the bolt will fail.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: I bet I'm the 1st to ever do this! - 03/18/12 06:06 PM

I think a key factor will be whether or not the blocks are high enough to be machined flush to the deck. If they sit even slightly below the deck then torquing the bolts will put undue stress on them. If they're machined flush then they'll only be pulled up against the gasket/head.
© 2024 Moparts Forums