Moparts

Cost to do break in on engine dyno?

Posted By: Madcoy

Cost to do break in on engine dyno? - 03/07/12 10:59 PM

What is a going price to pay to have small block tune up and cam break in on dyno?
Posted By: Belvedere2

Re: Cost to do break in on engine dyno? - 03/08/12 12:24 AM

Mine cost $500 but it all depends on what they do and who you deal with. I just did it for piece of mind. They broke it in and fixed any problems before I installed it. I still had to tune it in car.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Cost to do break in on engine dyno? - 03/08/12 05:01 AM

$500 to $700 for a full day of pulls

Attached picture 7108669-2011-09-21_00011.JPG
Posted By: beepbeepdon

Re: Cost to do break in on engine dyno? - 03/08/12 05:09 AM

I am getting ready to break in another 440 on an engine dyno here in Oregon. He charges $500.00 for a full day.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Cost to do break in on engine dyno? - 03/08/12 05:36 AM

For JUST a break in on the dyno I would think they
would charge $350 or about that... being that they
have to mount it and all, your better off doing a full day
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Cost to do break in on engine dyno? - 03/08/12 11:58 AM

You've got to figure 2-1/2-3 hours just to set it up and tear down. I've been doing my friends motors for free. I just tell them to bring the fuel and to replace any egt probes if they fail.Dave
Posted By: RAMM

Re: Cost to do break in on engine dyno? - 03/08/12 01:38 PM

I charge $400.00 CDN for 5 hrs on the dyno. Others in my area charge about the same onup to $700 for the day. It's always worth it--There are things found on the dyno that you would never find in the car. J.Rob
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Cost to do break in on engine dyno? - 03/08/12 02:03 PM

$600 for a day on the dyno here. Like said before, you'd be better off doing the day and make some pulls. All the time is in setup.

Or you could build a cheap engine test stand to have at home like I did.
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: Cost to do break in on engine dyno? - 03/08/12 03:32 PM

A lot of guys on a budget won't spend the extra money for dyno break-ins or testing,which is a shame.
The closest guy to me was charging $400.00 to break it in and make one power pull and no tuning.
The shop I bought my dyno from was charging $300.00 for a break in and told me guys would get all excited seeing the engine on the dyno and want power numbers,so he would charge them another $300.00 just to make a few pulls.
I offer half day(4 hour) sessions for $250.00,and will do break ins,power pulls,whatever time will allow.
$400.00 will get a full day(8 hour)session. I will probably offer even further discounts at times. I mainly am offering this to help out the average bracket racer,as a lot can be learned.
Keith
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Cost to do break in on engine dyno? - 03/08/12 03:40 PM

Keith...Those prices seem pretty good!
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: Cost to do break in on engine dyno? - 03/08/12 03:51 PM

Thanks,Ted! That's what I am hoping to hear. I attempted to give away a few sessions last year to some racers at MMW in Indy for the Sunday event,but it was rained out.
I have been trying to figure out pricing and discounts for a while. I figure give everybody good pricing instead of discounts,and maybe give time away at certain events?
Keith
Posted By: megajoltman

Re: Cost to do break in on engine dyno? - 03/08/12 03:55 PM

Hey RAMM where are you located?

I paid about $400 a day quite a few years ago, was sure worth it when I bent a valve and didn't have to remove it from my car to fix.
Posted By: bad543dart

Re: Cost to do break in on engine dyno? - 03/08/12 04:00 PM

I paid 500 for the dyno for 1 day and 2 of their employee to stay and help with break in and the final tuning. you can check out the video on you tube <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kmRNzcKKVw4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> you can hear the rocker hitting the valve cover in this vid. http://youtu.be/kmRNzcKKVw4
Posted By: RAMM

Re: Cost to do break in on engine dyno? - 03/08/12 04:22 PM

Quote:

Hey RAMM where are you located?

I paid about $400 a day quite a few years ago, was sure worth it when I bent a valve and didn't have to remove it from my car to fix.

I'm about 1 hour south of Ottawa, Ontario. J.Rob
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Cost to do break in on engine dyno? - 03/08/12 04:32 PM

Quote:

A lot of guys on a budget won't spend the extra money for dyno break-ins or testing,which is a shame.
The closest guy to me was charging $400.00 to break it in and make one power pull and no tuning.
The shop I bought my dyno from was charging $300.00 for a break in and told me guys would get all excited seeing the engine on the dyno and want power numbers,so he would charge them another $300.00 just to make a few pulls.
I offer half day(4 hour) sessions for $250.00,and will do break ins,power pulls,whatever time will allow.
$400.00 will get a full day(8 hour)session. I will probably offer even further discounts at times. I mainly am offering this to help out the average bracket racer,as a lot can be learned.
Keith

I agree with Keith 100%, there is so much to be learned about your motor. I had HemiRam's 512 on last winter and he ended up with a bad carb, and a leaking rear seal. If he'd tryed to break it in, in the car some real bad things would have happened. From what I've seen on average you can usually pick up 45-50hp tuning it on the dyno from start to finish.Dave
Posted By: Madcoy

Re: Cost to do break in on engine dyno? - 03/08/12 04:52 PM

That is exactly what I am thinking!! I have a completely new car front to rear. I have a couple of these to do. The first one is small block stroked 360. My concern is cam break in and how my trans is going to react. As well as seals and the such. I would like to get the new rubbed off and then maybe do some tweaking. A whole day sounds like the way to go. And $500 is not a bad price for piece of MIND!!! Now just to find someone in Oklahoma City? But I am probably headed to Duncan.
© 2024 Moparts Forums