Moparts

RIP FONTANA...

Posted By: BB70DUSTER

RIP FONTANA... - 02/29/12 08:39 PM

Looks like were down to Barona or Bakersfield here in So.Cal...
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 02/29/12 08:45 PM

Mike..

I'm hearing this from a lot of different people, but can't find a story in print..

Do you have a link..?

BTW.. This litigation is RIDICULOUS.. There is nothing there except industry, trucks, trains and crack whores..

Chris..
Posted By: formula S

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 02/29/12 08:49 PM

This is what I found

Auto Club Dragway At California Speedway To Open In May
November 14th, 2012

California Dragway, which has been in existence since 2001 in Lot 1 behind the Speedway’s main grandstand, will be relocated to Lots 6 and 8 and will be renamed the Auto Club Dragway at California Speedway.

The announcement was made today by California Speedway President Gillian Zucker, Automobile Club of Southern California (AAA) Senior Vice President of Marketing Mike Johnson and National Hot Rod Association President Tom Compton during a press conference at the Speedway. The announcement was part of the speedway’s plan to develop a new midway in the area where the current dragstrip is located.

Construction of the Auto Club Dragway at California Speedway will take place between December and April with the 2012 season kicking off in May. The current drag strip will continue operation until February.
“Auto Club of Southern California has made a huge commitment in recent months to growing drag racing throughout the nation and more locally in Southern California,” Zucker said. “Auto Club's passion for motorsports is only surpassed by their commitment to safety on our roadways. We are thrilled to be able to combine those two objectives with our naming of the Auto Club Dragway at California Speedway. Auto Club’s vast promotional assets are sure to positively impact all drag racing programs at the new Auto Club Dragway, from street legal to major NHRA sanctioned events.”

The Automobile Club of Southern California signed a five-year entitlement agreement for the new quarter-mile strip, home to a very competitive Division 7 Junior Drag Racing program sponsored by the Auto Club and the AAA-sponsored NHRA Street Legal Drag Racing program. In addition to these events, NHRA’s Summit Series, Pacific Street Car Association and Super Categories use the strip.

“California Speedway is one of the premier motorsports venues in the country and we are proud to have been an active partner since the track opened its gates in 1997,” Johnson said. “We are especially appreciative for the opportunity to help sustain such an important regional venue for street legal events. As the nation’s largest AAA affiliate, the Auto Club places a premium on safety and responsible driving. Expanding our relationship with the Speedway to include the Auto Club Dragway fits very well within AAA’s national sponsorship of the NHRA Street Legal Program that encourages enthusiasts of all ages to always race responsibly on organized drag strips and not on our streets.”

NHRA officials have also awarded the new drag strip with two competitive events in 2012, a NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series Division event in June and the NHRA West SPORTSnationals in September.

“To maintain and preserve the right to race is very important to NHRA,” Compton said. “We are pleased that the California Speedway shares in this vision and we look forward to expanding our partnership to work to grow the drag strip and the possibilities of future events. California Speedway officials have shown a great commitment to the drag racing community in Southern California and NHRA by building a permanent home for the drag strip on the north side of its multi-purpose auto racing facility.” http://www.srtsyndicate.com/archive/index.php/t-544.html

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 02/29/12 08:50 PM

Its on PSCA's message board... And of course all over facebook...
Posted By: johnnycuda

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 02/29/12 09:01 PM

I heard this morning the judge wants a enviromental impact study done before a decision is made,,what the hell?,,wasn't that done when the speedway was put in,or has things changed that much,,doubt it.
Too bad the NHRA doesn't back up their comments about supporting Street Legal drags at least,open up Pomona a few times a year for that at least,,that probably won't happen either.

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 02/29/12 09:09 PM

Quote:

I heard this morning the judge wants a environmental impact study done before a decision is made,,what the hell?,,wasn't that done when the speedway was put in,or has things changed that much,,doubt it.
Too bad the NHRA doesn't back up their comments about supporting Street Legal drags at least,open up Pomona a few times a year for that at least,,that probably won't happen either.

That's a flipping joke.. The place was built on the Kaiser Steel plant..

How much more of an "ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT" could a race track be..

BUREAUCRAT = BUR-PUKE-RAT..

Chris..
Posted By: johnnycuda

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 02/29/12 09:36 PM

Hey Pit Boss,thanks for that article,,,informative.
Posted By: G_bob

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 02/29/12 10:03 PM

Quote:

This is what I found

Auto Club Dragway At California Speedway To Open In May
November 14th, 2012

California Dragway, which has been in existence since 2001 in Lot 1 behind the Speedway’s main grandstand, will be relocated to Lots 6 and 8 and will be renamed the Auto Club Dragway at California Speedway.

The announcement was made today by California Speedway President Gillian Zucker, Automobile Club of Southern California (AAA) Senior Vice President of Marketing Mike Johnson and National Hot Rod Association President Tom Compton during a press conference at the Speedway. The announcement was part of the speedway’s plan to develop a new midway in the area where the current dragstrip is located.

Construction of the Auto Club Dragway at California Speedway will take place between December and April with the 2012 season kicking off in May. The current drag strip will continue operation until February.
“Auto Club of Southern California has made a huge commitment in recent months to growing drag racing throughout the nation and more locally in Southern California,” Zucker said. “Auto Club's passion for motorsports is only surpassed by their commitment to safety on our roadways. We are thrilled to be able to combine those two objectives with our naming of the Auto Club Dragway at California Speedway. Auto Club’s vast promotional assets are sure to positively impact all drag racing programs at the new Auto Club Dragway, from street legal to major NHRA sanctioned events.”

The Automobile Club of Southern California signed a five-year entitlement agreement for the new quarter-mile strip, home to a very competitive Division 7 Junior Drag Racing program sponsored by the Auto Club and the AAA-sponsored NHRA Street Legal Drag Racing program. In addition to these events, NHRA’s Summit Series, Pacific Street Car Association and Super Categories use the strip.

“California Speedway is one of the premier motorsports venues in the country and we are proud to have been an active partner since the track opened its gates in 1997,” Johnson said. “We are especially appreciative for the opportunity to help sustain such an important regional venue for street legal events. As the nation’s largest AAA affiliate, the Auto Club places a premium on safety and responsible driving. Expanding our relationship with the Speedway to include the Auto Club Dragway fits very well within AAA’s national sponsorship of the NHRA Street Legal Program that encourages enthusiasts of all ages to always race responsibly on organized drag strips and not on our streets.”

NHRA officials have also awarded the new drag strip with two competitive events in 2012, a NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series Division event in June and the NHRA West SPORTSnationals in September.

“To maintain and preserve the right to race is very important to NHRA,” Compton said. “We are pleased that the California Speedway shares in this vision and we look forward to expanding our partnership to work to grow the drag strip and the possibilities of future events. California Speedway officials have shown a great commitment to the drag racing community in Southern California and NHRA by building a permanent home for the drag strip on the north side of its multi-purpose auto racing facility.” http://www.srtsyndicate.com/archive/index.php/t-544.html

This article is several years old. The track was moved to the northeast parking lot years ago and runs parallel to the railroad tracks.
Don't think they ever built the midway behing the main grandstand, but then, I never go over that way.

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 02/29/12 10:14 PM

This is definitely a wait and see deal..

The PSCA has NOT taken their race off the schedule for March 9-11 yet..

NASCAR has a race for March 23-25 and they are selling tickets as of this minute..

I'm sure the lawyers are trying everything they can to at least get past March..

From what I've been told.. NASCAR has NO waivers left.. Not buying that for 1 minute..

I'm thinking Terminal Island needs to re-open.. Street racing will definitely go waaaaay up if this happens..

Big Willie... Come back to So. Cal..

Chris..

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 02/29/12 10:56 PM

Terminal Island would be awesome... Anyone wanna buy a Duster? lol
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 02/29/12 11:30 PM

This article is several years old. The track was moved to the northeast parking lot years ago and runs parallel to the railroad tracks.
Don't think they ever built the midway behing the main grandstand, but then, I never go over that way.

I agree with you G-bob someone just changed the year to 2012.
I was there running the summit series last weekend and the rumor mill was running big time! About both Irwindale and Fontana.
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 02/29/12 11:38 PM

Great

Change the date of the article to November of this year, only 10ish months in the future...

I'm so done with the drag car stuff. I'm certainly not going to start street racing again. Maybe I need to move to Vegas or Phoenix.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 02/29/12 11:40 PM

For what it's worth from dragracingonline. It does not sound good at all at this point. The wall is a major expense on top the the EIR. This is realy bad news for the PSCA as well. With 5 of the 8 races shceduled to be run at Fontana

"We have heard from several very reliable sources that Auto Club Dragway at Fontana is closed for the time being. Initial reports out of the court proceedings at the San Bernardino County Courthouse indicate that an additional, updated and approved Environmental Impact Study and construction of a 1,700-foot sound attenuation wall will be necessary in order for quarter-mile racing to resume.

With the recent closing of the Irwindale Speedway and eighth-mile dragstrip, restrictions on using Pomona Raceway and pending termination of the Street Legal program at San Diego’s Qualcom Stadium, that leaves Barona Dragstrip and Auto Club Famoso Raceway the only possibilities for SoCal drag racing.

The Agent hopes these developments will not usher in a new era of Street Racing in what was once a mecca for organized drag racing"[02/29/12]

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 02/29/12 11:47 PM

PSCA @ Fontana is "OFFICIALLY CANCELLED" for March 9-11 2012..

From Mel @ PSCA..

Truly Sad.. This could possibly kill his organization..

Chris..

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/01/12 12:17 AM

And there's this from Firebird Raceway in Phoenix..

Could 2013 be the last year for Arizona’s Firebird Raceway?

Raceway President Charlie Allen told The (Arizona) Republic that he has a seven-year option on his current lease for the property, but may not be able to extend the lease when it expires next spring.

The Gila River Indian Community owns the land where the track is located, near Chandler. If the NHRA sticks to its current schedule, the 2013 event at Firebird should be in February, before the lease will expire.

In case no deal is reached, however, Allen already has been studying a new site, which he wouldn’t name, but said it was not far away from the current location. He said a new facility would include a road course and lake for drag boats. The facility also runs drag boats on Firebird Lake. But the new venue wouldn't be ready before 2015, meaning no races in 2014.

Allen said he'd make the decision on the project before next year's Arizona Nationals, "based on the economy."

Last year’s Phoenix NHRA national event was moved from February to October to allow for working on the track surface. Racers agreed it was a job well done. [02/29/12]

I'm thinking of either moving to Vegas, or selling everything and going fishing..

The new site he's talking about is most likely the GM proving grounds that is currently empty.. They have a dragstrip there as well as a oval track..

We'll see..

Chris..

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/01/12 12:22 AM

Make someone a killer deal on a Duster.... Barona is gonna be a busy place Id imagine!
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/01/12 02:53 AM

Quote:

This is definitely a wait and see deal..

The PSCA has NOT taken their race off the schedule for March 9-11 yet..

NASCAR has a race for March 23-25 and they are selling tickets as of this minute..

I'm sure the lawyers are trying everything they can to at least get past March..

From what I've been told.. NASCAR has NO waivers left.. Not buying that for 1 minute..

I'm thinking Terminal Island needs to re-open.. Street racing will definitely go waaaaay up if this happens..

Big Willie... Come back to So. Cal..

Chris..

Funny you mention Big Willie.............he started some street races up here in the desert a while back. THIS SUCKS............ Guess I`ll head up north to hit my goal. Any mid week t&t`s up north?
Posted By: robnbird

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/01/12 04:36 AM

Quote:

Looks like were down to Barona or Bakersfield here in So.Cal...

Go look up a guy by the name of Norman Thomas 1926-1948 ( this is the place where the Liberal movement started. Just saying.
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/01/12 05:15 AM

this is bad news.....formoso is 115 miles away
Posted By: Chassisman

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/01/12 07:01 AM

Quote:

Its my "home"....132 miles.....been doing it since 1988....Sacramento is 136 from me the other way.....racers gotta do what a racers gotta do....
Posted By: Deepockets

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/01/12 01:09 PM

that really sucks. i ran the dart at irwindale and the duster at fontana. if nothing comes of either tracks, i'm going to have one hell of a fast street car and the duster will go bye bye. i'll give it some time before doing anything. fingers crossed.

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/01/12 06:22 PM

Quote:

that really sucks. i ran the dart at irwindale and the duster at fontana. if nothing comes of either tracks, i'm going to have one hell of a fast street car and the duster will go bye bye. i'll give it some time before doing anything. fingers crossed.

Screw that, let`s get some guys together and hit either an Arizona track or Bakersfield if possible. .......SOON..............I`m jonesin..............

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/01/12 09:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Screw that, let`s get some guys together and hit either an Arizona track or Bakersfield if possible. .......SOON..............I`m jonesin..............

Do it before it gets hot, or you will be night racing..

Chris..
Posted By: Thread Ender1

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/02/12 01:35 AM

Quote:

What's even worse is their race attendence is going probably double and 2 to 3 runs at a T&T was all there was for me a year ago.

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/02/12 05:19 PM

Check this article out. Interesting reading, especially the hearing loss part.

http://www.pe.com/local-news/breaking-ne...-drag-strip.ece
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/02/12 05:27 PM

I have to tell you, you guys who live in California should be given medals. Everything I've seen, heard, indicates that the government micro manages every aspect of your lives out there.

Too bad.

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/02/12 05:39 PM

But the trains blasting their horns as they go by has no affect on him?

They just want money, all it is.

Thanks for putting that up Al.
Posted By: Lil Demon

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/02/12 06:09 PM

Yah - the article also failed to mention that:

1) The drag strip sits about 15 feet BELOW the railroad tracks - so there is a natural sound barrier in place
2) The main complainant also happens to have a diesel truck yard directly behind his house
3) Environmental Impact Analysis for afacility that is located on the former site of a steel mill

And the guy claims temporary hearing loss? What a joke.
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/02/12 07:35 PM

Concerned Community Members and Parents of Redwood Elementary School Students

------------------------------------------------

Yeah that group name is in no way geared to elicit a sympathetic response... We're thinking of the children..

Wanna bet that the "Concerned Community Members" didn't come up with that name.

How many actual school days are the PSCA car really running? I know I spent many Saturdays and Sundays sitting in a classroom.. Sarcasm off
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/02/12 10:15 PM

So the circle track moves the dragstrip 1/2 mile from one side of the property to the other and they don't expect anyone to complain.

Sounds like someone didn't do their paperwork and got caught.

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/02/12 10:50 PM

Quote:

So the circle track moves the dragstrip 1/2 mile from one side of the property to the other and they don't expect anyone to complain.

The whole area is industry.. Doesn't matter which side of the Speedway the dragstrip is.

This is "ENTIRELY ABOUT MONEY"... The plaintiff will settle for $1 million..

Chris..
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/03/12 12:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The whole area is industry.. Doesn't matter which side of the Speedway the dragstrip is.

Chris..

If the track deviated from the original plan they have to jump through all the hoops again.

When I was building Frank Hawleys garage for his school at Gainesville Raceway, the track remodeled one of the storage bays at another location so they had an extra garage door available. I just extended the building I was making another 24 feet. It didn't seem like that big of deal to me, I'm in the middle of 80 acres.

The inspector caught the modification and I had to jump through similar hoops to get it all approved. Delayed the project two months.

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/03/12 09:17 AM

From Mel @ PSCA..

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/20398-psca-leader-reacts-to-fontana-closing

Chris..
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/03/12 06:50 PM

I've never had any faith in petitions.. but figured it wouldnt hurt..

http://www.change.org/petitions/county-o...-racing-for-all
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/03/12 11:38 PM

NHRA is the main reason this is happening now, Roger Penske approached NHRA on building a drag strip in the raceway to start with, NHRA said no, we don't need no more stinking drag strips in SO CA to compete with our track at Pomona Sometimes I wonder who NHRA is really for

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/04/12 02:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Chris..

And when they settle, I`m gonna be there and TAKE it from him. I`ve had dreams about this s@#t and wish I could go back to my old ways and strangle this [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean]...........

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/04/12 03:08 AM

Easy there Thumper, this is a open forum. You don't know who will read that.

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/04/12 03:13 AM

Whatever...........this stuff irritates me beyond words and I`m sick of the politics and bs that people can get away with these days...........gimme a break man. Can`t even speak my mind these days w/out someone telling me what I can and can`t say. We are just trying to race and keep this disolving sport alive.

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/04/12 03:19 AM

Quote:

NHRA is the main reason this is happening now, Roger Penske approached NHRA on building a drag strip in the raceway to start with, NHRA said no, we don't need no more stinking drag strips in SO CA to compete with our track at Pomona Sometimes I wonder who NHRA is really for

I was talking to Mike Osborne and his mom today about this very same thing. We need to get Pomona up and running like it used to be not try and build a new track here or there..............how stupid is that? We have one of the best tracks around that only sees a few events a year because some ding dong can`t stand the noise even though the track was there before them.

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/05/12 05:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I was talking to Mike Osborne and his mom today about this very same thing. We need to get Pomona up and running like it used to be not try and build a new track here or there..............how stupid is that? We have one of the best tracks around that only sees a few events a year because some ding dong can`t stand the noise even though the track was there before them.

^^^^ AGEREE!!! I was there today for the swap meet... Pretty sad that such a awesome track is soooo useless....
Posted By: Kevins493

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/05/12 06:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Someone tried to get a local track closed for the same thing...didn't like the noise. The judge said "you moved in across the street from a track that's been here since 1959. Live with it."
Posted By: 8urvette

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/05/12 08:04 AM

best judge ever!!!!

common sense huh??

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/05/12 05:04 PM

Quote:

Someone tried to get a local track closed for the same thing...didn't like the noise. The judge said "you moved in across the street from a track that's been here since 1959. Live with it."

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/05/12 05:10 PM

Much different situation here. The houses were there first then came the track...Just saying..

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/08/12 05:15 AM

So - my GF works with the wife of one of the track big wigs and:

1) They were completely shocked at the judges ruling given they had provided decible readings that showed both the trains and the diesel yard behind the property were louder than the drag strip's loudest decible reading.

2) They have proof that the guy doesn't actually live there - he just keeps a car registered at that address

So - the story goes that when they were first building the facility - the entire facility - the guy was trying to get them to purchase his property for an exhorbitant amount - the track refused saying they didn't need to because it was on the other side of the tracks. Fast forward to when they decided to move the dragstrip that gave the pric..er, person, the opportunity he was seeking to get revenge.
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/08/12 05:22 AM

Quote:

1) They were completely shocked at the judges ruling given they had provided decible readings that showed both the trains and the diesel yard behind the property were louder than the drag strip's loudest decible reading.

2) They have proof that the guy doesn't actually live there - he just keeps a car registered at that address

So - the story goes that when they were first building the facility - the entire facility - the guy was trying to get them to purchase his property for an exhorbitant amount - the track refused saying they didn't need to because it was on the other side of the tracks. Fast forward to when they decided to move the dragstrip that gave the pric..er, person, the opportunity he was seeking to get revenge.

SO what happens next?

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/08/12 05:32 AM

Wow... I'm surprised no one has taken this guy behind the woodshed to settle the lawsuit..

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/08/12 05:41 AM

Quote:

Wow... I'm surprised no one has taken this guy behind the woodshed to settle the lawsuit..

Queue Thumper...............

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/08/12 05:50 AM

Quote:

Like I've been saying all along, It's all about $$$$$..

Billy D worked in Fontana for many years at Flash Transport.. (my sponsor).. I know the area very well..

There's not much, if any housing near the track.. Mostly industry, trucking, railroads, and crack whores..

Chris..

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/08/12 05:55 AM

Chris - no argument there - I was born and raised in Riverside and my dad used to race the original Fontana. I know that area well also.

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/08/12 06:00 AM

Well all that matters right no is it is closed. Does not sound good for it's future or that of the PSCA right now. Let's hope that this can get settled but I am not very optimistic.

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/08/12 09:10 AM

Agreed..

Now, "IF" the speedway would have been involved, there most likely would be a different outcome.

NASCAR and INDY have way more to lose, and have deeper pockets.

Another dragstrip in So. Cal. done.. We can soon add Fontana to this picture..

Chris.. RIP

Re: RIP FONTANA... - 03/09/12 12:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Queue Thumper...............

VERY tempting indeed but not worth the concequences............Yesturday a friend offered me $8,000 to collect $16,000 and I passed on the offer.
© 2024 Moparts Forums