Moparts

Barry grant carbs opinions?

Posted By: MikeyT

Barry grant carbs opinions? - 02/27/12 04:54 PM

Hey all

I was wondering what do you all think of Barry Grant carbs? I think I've heard of late, their has been issues. Anything in particular that is problematic.

Again, thanks everyone

Mike
Posted By: PorkyPig

Re: Barry grant carbs opinions? - 02/27/12 05:48 PM

Barry Grants operation went out of business about a year ago. Holley bought what was left and has started to produce some old and some new Demon carbs. The stuff sold during the last part of Barry Grants ownership had some serious quality control problems. I think some of the features were nice but the final product varied from usable to junk depending upon how bad the machine work was that BG let get out the door. Having seen and paid for some of the BG junk myself I wouldnt buy any of it without a money back deal if it didnt run right.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Barry grant carbs opinions? - 02/27/12 05:54 PM

I bought 2 TR carbs just before they went out of business, had to wait almost 3 months to get them too, excuse after excuse, lie after lie. When I finally got them they worked OK but I had to heli-coil the squirter threads and one base plate was assembled backwards. I had to swap the linkage arms around. Having said that I'll tell you that now that they are fixed they work great and I love them.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Barry grant carbs opinions? - 02/27/12 10:28 PM

Ran a 750 Demon on my 408 for a year or so. No problems with it. BTW, heard they are back in business.
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Barry grant carbs opinions? - 02/27/12 10:49 PM

i've run a bg carb for a long time, and i've modified/ rebuilt dozens. generally speaking, they're very well made, and poorly assembled. you would not believe the things i've found. LOTS of metal, in almost every one. in the float bowls, in the main wells, everywhere. throttle blades upside down. jets cross threaded. every one i've touched has ended up working great after correcting the (numerous) problems.
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Barry grant carbs opinions? - 02/27/12 11:24 PM

there's a reason they went out of business and it wasn't because of outstanding products and great customer service.
Posted By: chris3

Re: Barry grant carbs opinions? - 02/27/12 11:24 PM

This is an interesting post. We have a mighty Demon that we got just before they "went out of business." The carb has not worked right since we got it. It will not idle correctly and using that new idle screw in the top of the carb does not do anything. When I have had it apart I have found things that did not make any sense, including trash, metal inside one of the fuel bowls. I and several others have attempted to make it work correctly. I talked with a "representative of Demon Carburators" at the PRI show and he asked that I contact him and discuss the problems. I sent him an email, as shown on his card, and to date I have not heard from him. The motor is being freshened up right now and I am not sure after reading this post that I will deal with this Demon much longer.
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: Barry grant carbs opinions? - 02/27/12 11:43 PM

at the race expo this past weekend I saw a booth for Demon carbs...so whether its Holley or whoever is operating it, its in business...
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Barry grant carbs opinions? - 02/28/12 12:15 AM

Quote:

This is an interesting post. We have a mighty Demon that we got just before they "went out of business." The carb has not worked right since we got it. It will not idle correctly and using that new idle screw in the top of the carb does not do anything. When I have had it apart I have found things that did not make any sense, including trash, metal inside one of the fuel bowls. I and several others have attempted to make it work correctly. I talked with a "representative of Demon Carburators" at the PRI show and he asked that I contact him and discuss the problems. I sent him an email, as shown on his card, and to date I have not heard from him. The motor is being freshened up right now and I am not sure after reading this post that I will deal with this Demon much longer.

check EVERYTHING. you will find something, guaranteed.
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Barry grant carbs opinions? - 02/28/12 02:45 AM

I bought a BG Race Demon RS 950 w/annular boosters, before I heard all the negative stories on them. I took it apart to remove metal or whatever and didn't find anything major.
When I took that engine to be dynoed the shop made a lot of bad remarks about the Demon! Like toss it in the dumpster!
In the end,
The results showed it to outperform their best shop carburetor, even though my Demon was lean, and we didn't have the right bleeds to richen it.

Mark
Posted By: The Shocker

Re: Barry grant carbs opinions? - 02/28/12 02:52 AM

I guess i got a good one.My 750 Demon feed my mild 408 powered Dodge to the tune of a 7.13 @ 95.04 mph last Friday night.Its been on the car for 5 years now and the only problem i have had with it was a piece of teflon tape stuck in the needle and seat assembly ,but that was my fault.Great carbs IMO ...
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Barry grant carbs opinions? - 02/28/12 02:54 AM

Quote:

there's a reason they went out of business and it wasn't because of outstanding products and great customer service.

i cant think of a better way to put it than that.

i'll also add that i wouldnt recommend getting one at all unless you plan on dyno testing the motor.
some of their baseline calibrations simply dont work and may require some pretty dramatic changes to get the carb to operate correctly.
the kinds of changes you'd probably never imagine you needed without some data aquisition.
Posted By: classof65

Re: Barry grant carbs opinions? - 02/28/12 02:57 AM

one of the throw off's on Grant's carbs was that they were good dyno carbs but at the track were quite tricky and actually did not live up to their billing. I've seen it personally. If you've got one, just work through the issues because in the end, a carburetor is just a box sitting on top of an engine that mixes the fuel and air it uses.

All you guys are shape as tacks, any one of you can make it work I'm sure.

Peace, Rev. Mopar
Posted By: Keith Richards

Re: Barry grant carbs opinions? - 02/28/12 03:06 PM

I have 2 of them and they always seem to work better then the same size holley, I have an 850 for sale in the race section if anybody is interested. I know, I know shameless plug!
Posted By: Scamp408

Re: Barry grant carbs opinions? - 02/28/12 05:44 PM

My old 825 was great and my 1000 is as well.I tell you all these race carbs have gone up in $$ WOW
Posted By: BradH

Re: Barry grant carbs opinions? - 02/28/12 06:24 PM

Anyone who has a "junk" BG carb and is ready to throw it into the dumpster is welcome to send it to me, instead. I'm sure I can figure out something to do with it...
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Barry grant carbs opinions? - 02/28/12 08:54 PM

I have both a 1095 King Demon & 1295 King demon. I haven't had a change to try out either one yet though, so I guess I can't complain. Sure do look nice though.
© 2024 Moparts Forums