Moparts

Pinion angle and pic: im dumb and confused sometimes

Posted By: kilroy

Pinion angle and pic: im dumb and confused sometimes - 02/26/12 06:48 PM

Ok reading pinion angle, hear is the reading from my car.

Left is the front of the car - right is the driveshaft

Angle finder mounted on the input yoke.

Attached picture 7091211-DSC_4088.jpg

Re: Pinion angle and pic: im dumb and confused sometimes - 02/26/12 06:48 PM

And the rear end

mounted on yoke

rear is left and front of car is right

Attached picture 7091213-DSC_4095.jpg

Re: Pinion angle and pic: im dumb and confused sometimes - 02/26/12 06:50 PM

Am I 3 + or 3 -.

Im using a caltrac style setup on HD springs. I already have 3* shims under the spring perches.

Re: Pinion angle and pic: im dumb and confused sometimes - 02/26/12 07:02 PM

Car on the ground at weight except empty fuel tank. (empty tank unfortunately is pretty normal).
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Pinion angle and pic: im dumb and confused sometimes - 02/26/12 07:19 PM

This may help:
http://www.4xshaft.com/tech_slopesVSangles.html

Re: Pinion angle and pic: im dumb and confused sometimes - 02/26/12 07:28 PM

I think Im -3 according to this, as my trans is at 3 down and the rear is level.

http://www.buickperformanceclub.com/Pinion.htm
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Pinion angle and pic: im dumb and confused sometimes - 02/26/12 07:39 PM

Compare the parallelism between the transmission and the pinion.

A zero degree pinion angle is when the transmission is parallel with the pinion.

A negative pinion angle is the number of degrees the pinion must rotate UPWARD to become parallel with the transmission.

A positive pinion angle is the number of degrees the pinion must rotate DOWNWARD to become parallel with the transmission.

For example, if the transmission slopes downward 3 degrees toward the rear, and the rearend is level, you have a true 3 degree negative pinion angle.
Posted By: dart9ss

Re: Pinion angle and pic: im dumb and confused sometimes - 02/27/12 01:04 AM

I understand you take the angle at the universal like you did and then off the drive shaft. subtract one from the other thats your angle. so you will have one neg. # and one postive #. then subtract.we run 7 degress with ss springs. not sure on caltracts. ask cal.my .02$

Re: Pinion angle and pic: im dumb and confused sometimes - 02/27/12 03:28 AM

Quote:

I understand you take the angle at the universal like you did and then off the drive shaft. subtract one from the other thats your angle. so you will have one neg. # and one postive #. then subtract.we run 7 degress with ss springs. not sure on caltracts. ask cal.my .02$

Thats just a little more complicated method and it allows you to get a drive shaft angle also.

I was just having a brain loss moment and wanted my figures double checked; after I didnt get any responses for a while I sat and figure it out.

Thanks Doc Diff for the response, I figure it a about the same time you responded.
© 2024 Moparts Forums