Moparts

Does the insanity ever stop??

Posted By: tboomer

Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/23/12 05:17 PM

Maybe winter is getting to me and I have too much time to think...My Victors are still in the shop yet and I told Radar to go ahead and knock yourself out!! I have the heads paid for and enough cash to pay for the porting job. Now add another 1200.00 for rockers,etc. and it really adds up fast!! Fast forward to summer and they are talking 5.00 a gallon gas... I am really thinking strongly about pursuing some other hobby...Anyone else feel this way? Ted
Posted By: shoebox

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/23/12 05:19 PM

GO fly control line airplanes. CHEAP FUN! it is the most fun per dollar ive ever done! sig akromaster and a used fox .15 = under 50bucks
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/23/12 05:23 PM

Quote:

I am really thinking strongly about pursuing some other hobby...Anyone else feel this way?

yea more and more with each passing day but the time to do that would've been about 35 years ago before spending enough to buy a nice house on this hobby. one race car is too much i have three cars, one running and two in various stages of completion. talk about making bad decisions i've got it down to an art.

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/23/12 05:29 PM

I hear ya,James! I always buy stuff for the car and don't spend family money or use a credit card. As far as a hobby,I have a 1994 Harley Low Rider Custom that we bought brand new...It has a whopping 4600 miles on it. I also used to do competition trap shooting. Both are cheaper hobbies for sure!!
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/23/12 05:29 PM

Move to Cally so u can race year around............ THEN, you won`t be all stressed out over thinking this crap.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/23/12 05:36 PM

Quote:

I hear ya,James! I always buy stuff for the car and don't spend family money or use a credit card. As far as a hobby,I have a 1994 Harley Low Rider Custom that we bought brand new...It has a whopping 4600 miles on it. I also used to do competition trap shooting. Both are cheaper hobbies for sure!!

Sell the Harley...problem solved.

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/23/12 06:01 PM

Chip...The Harley stays...Gonna give that to my grandson someday...

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/23/12 06:03 PM

Quote:

Chip...The Harley stays...Gonna give that to my grandson someday...

Come on now............Keep the mopar and sell the over rated loud obnoxious Hardley Ableson............
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/23/12 06:08 PM

Ted this whole racing/money/time thing is really wearing on my last good nerve but it's an addiction and I don't think any other hobby will satisfy my need's like this one, so I just grin and bear it, if I cannot afford it then I don't do it, may stay closer to home and start hitting the local track's a little more.

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/23/12 06:19 PM

Thumpman...My Harley isn't loud! But my Fender bass and Carvin amp are...I dug that back out for fun,too! Bill....If I go out it will be close to home...37 miles one way!

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/23/12 06:23 PM

Just playin.......... Now maybe you can polish up your bass skills, go out and play and actually GET PAID instead of paying to race. I do 6 jam sessions a month and scattered gigs in between which pays for my racing.

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/23/12 06:29 PM

My old lead player stopped and we dicussed it..But I am not ready to commit yet...He also tried to buy my Les Paul 20th Anniversary...Like he needs another guitar! Last I knew,he owned 28 of them...
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/23/12 06:33 PM

I'm thinking of becoming a full time alcoholic, it's cheaper and I'll be passed out most of the time anyway.
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/23/12 06:49 PM

Ted; You could just as well keep racing. Guns and shooting will empty your pockets just as fast. Dave

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/23/12 06:52 PM

Quote:

I'm thinking of becoming a full time alcoholic, it's cheaper and I'll be passed out most of the time anyway.

hmmm u might be on to something there
Posted By: 383man

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/23/12 10:21 PM

I love this hobby and I never plan to sell my 63. I am just glad I built it to run fine on 92 pump. Even at that I may not be able to afford to race it this year but I know I can put a few gallons in it and cruise the few miles to the local cruise spot. Thats the added fun of a street car. Just a few gallons of gas and I can take it cruisin. Ron
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/23/12 10:42 PM

job change and the crappy economy is why I had to sell mine off.
I am thinking about getting back into R/C planes they where a lot of fun but not sure if they are really that much cheaper since I flew the BIG stuff.
Posted By: Paul_Fancsali

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/23/12 10:48 PM

Can't street it don't want it. The days of dragging a car behind a truck to run twice after 4-6 hours is enough for me. Build a nice 13-14 sec car that will run on regular. and throw a bottle on it if you really want to go fast. Always some one faster then you any way
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/23/12 10:50 PM

i don't race as much as other's on here. mostly street duty. that too is $$$$. thought about getting rid of everything( 1 year old trailer, diesel pickup & the demon). i wish the 80's would come back. hang tuff everyone. seeya.
Posted By: galen

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/23/12 10:56 PM

Put the engine in a boat. Play on the lake for an hour in the morning. Spend the rest of the day eating barbecue, drinking a cold one with good friends and watching girls run around in bikini's.

Attached picture 7086911-DSC_0113.jpg
Posted By: 5126brl No more

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/23/12 11:04 PM

Get involved in your towns politics, sit on a board or commission... Very cheap and you can have alot of fun
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/23/12 11:30 PM

For this very same reason, I built a reputable street car that I drive to local haunts and pimp it and also drag it on occasion. ei: Mopar events or a good $$ charity run.LOL.
Light cars are also lighter on parts, so go figure. Plus the feedback you receive from fellow mates and fans on the street has no comparison. I enjoy it and only keep one car there.

Straight out race cars and their trailers take a mint to maintain and take a bruising from Family and loved ones complaining where all the $$ goes. I've gone the Pocket science route. Every time I get the edge to change or improve on some thing on the car, I take the old parts and sell them to off set the cost of the new add ons. I only sell good, well made,safe well maintained items off my car and if they do not meet my requirements as far as used condition, then I dump them in the garbage. I like to sleep at night when ever I'm not burning the midnight oil on my car.
Posted By: actionange

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/23/12 11:36 PM

Quote:

Get involved in your towns politics, sit on a board or commission... Very cheap and you can have alot of fun

And I bet they usually have coffee and snacks too?

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/23/12 11:49 PM

NOPE!! had to get my own coffee on the way and a slice of homemade Banana bread.
But I always have fun
Posted By: SV_MOPARS

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/23/12 11:54 PM

Quote:

Move to Cally so u can race year around............ THEN, you won`t be all stressed out over thinking this crap.

except that you won't be able to race at the track in your sig picture.
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/24/12 12:09 AM

Quote:

I'm the Mayor of my little town. Believe me...it's not much fun.Dave
Posted By: yella71

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/24/12 12:32 AM

There's one guy on here that put it best," I've spent most of my money on cars women and beer , the rest I just wasted". So true.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/24/12 12:52 AM

last time i was at the track i almost wrecked the challenger. i said, thats it, i'm going to build a piece of junk.

bought this cuda cheap, painted it with rustoleum. did everything myself on the cheap and its so much fun to drive, i have not been to the track and dont really care either. its my rat rod and i love driving it. its really loud and alot of fun.
Posted By: Cudajon

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/24/12 12:56 AM

Quote:

GO fly control line airplanes. CHEAP FUN! it is the most fun per dollar ive ever done! sig akromaster and a used fox .15 = under 50bucks

Shoebox hit it. Great fun. Until you get the urge to move to radio control. Can spend lots of money then.
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/24/12 01:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Shoebox hit it. Great fun. Until you get the urge to move to radio control. Can spend lots of money then.

yep I did giant scale R/C for years it was a lot of fun but could get expensive I have been getting the urge again.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/24/12 02:27 AM

My wife got a job, so I am now looking forward to finishing the Daytona. Not sure when it will be done or how much I will race, but I will have fun.

Ted, I started trying to quit racing almost 30 years ago. I finally quit quitting.

The biggest difference between dope and racing is that you can quit dope if you try hard enough.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/24/12 02:57 AM

I solved your problem.
The only way to race less, is to go faster

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/24/12 03:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm the Mayor of my little town. Believe me...it's not much fun.Dave

Thats a hard gig!
I am only on Economic Development commission.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/24/12 03:21 AM

When my Dad decided he had enough of drag racing($$$$) he went back to....Flying R/C and control line planes.

Not sure what I'm going to do,it's looking like my stock eliminator plans are never going to happen,and I may just make my current car a street/strip ride.
Posted By: 8urvette

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/24/12 04:12 AM

You only get one life. Live it and fill it with regrets. Things u wish u hadn't done. Not things u wish u had done. You work ur whole life for money, and it does not matter what you do u never have enough of it, it's always been spoken for, or she just spends it b4 u get the chance to.

I've been dumping cash into my car like it's goin out of style. I'm also tryig to purchase a house, I truly enjoy wrenching on the car. It will never end, I will never have just one project. I have a car project, a boat project, 4 2-store jetskis (projects) and want to buy a fixer up house.

No interest in travel, politics, or alcohol (bad road for me). I do vote though!

Does the insanity ever stop? I SURE HOPE NOT.

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/24/12 04:21 AM

you know as the years roll on you look at things differently. recently when i was talking (reminiscing actually) with one of the guys i used to race bikes with he made the comment that when all is said and done all we end up with are memories...pretty accurate statement when you think about it
Posted By: GwaiiEagle

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/24/12 04:41 AM

Quote:

The biggest difference between dope and racing is that you can quit dope if you try hard enough.

'You don't get in to Drag Racing; Drag Racing gets in to You'
Posted By: Dabee

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/24/12 05:04 AM

I started out like most of you probably did in a 14/13 second car. I wanted to go faster and kept getting faster cars until I was in the high 7 second car. Then one day a good racing buddy said to me, “Some of guys were talking the other day about you and we came to the conclusion that you were having a whole lot more fun racing when you were running the 11 second car”. You know what they were right. Guess which car I’m racing now? That’s right; I parked the high 7 second car, pulled the 11 second car out of storage, put it on a weight reduction program, put a new engine and transmission in it, got it in to the 10s and am having a blast racing again. I race trophy class at the local out law track eight miles from my house. Test & Tune is $15 and that gets you into the trophy class. I race every Friday and Saturday, get as many passes as I want, burn E-85 to save on racing fuel. I spend around $80 a weekend to race two days. The maintenance cost on the 10 second car is a whole lot less than maintaining the high seven second car. I still travel to some of the MOPAR races. Quit racing, no way I’m 67 years old in good health and having a blast.

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/24/12 05:27 AM

Quote:

I started out like most of you probably did in a 14/13 second car. I wanted to go faster and kept getting faster cars until I was in the high 7 second car. Then one day a good racing buddy said to me, “Some of guys were talking the other day about you and we came to the conclusion that you were having a whole lot more fun racing when you were running the 11 second car”. You know what they were right. Guess which car I’m racing now? That’s right; I parked the high 7 second car, pulled the 11 second car out of storage, put it on a weight reduction program, put a new engine and transmission in it, got it in to the 10s and am having a blast racing again. I race trophy class at the local out law track eight miles from my house. Test & Tune is $15 and that gets you into the trophy class. I race every Friday and Saturday, get as many passes as I want, burn E-85 to save on racing fuel. I spend around $80 a weekend to race two days. The maintenance cost on the 10 second car is a whole lot less than maintaining the high seven second car. I still travel to some of the MOPAR races. Quit racing, no way I’m 67 years old in good health and having a blast.

amen to that brother

i started running low 11s then 8s then dipped into the 7s. i see all these guys around me running 10 and 11 second cars having a blast. looked around a lot for a nice 10-11 car and couldn't find anything i liked. been thrashing on a 72 swinger that should run mid 11's and really looking forward to a lot less hassle and expense while increasing the fun factor.
Posted By: Palindrome Cuda

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/24/12 12:51 PM

I used to play golf. $3000.00 initial stock purchase, $4,500.00 dues per year, $150.00 per month restaurant/pro shop fee ( whether you use it or not ) then still have to pay cart fees. After years of this expense I don't even have golf balls to show for it. ( they are in the ponds or somewhere in the woods ) That's why I went back to racing at least I have a car when I'm done and it's a lot more "quiet"
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/24/12 01:12 PM

Quote:

Maybe winter is getting to me and I have too much time to think...My Victors are still in the shop yet and I told Radar to go ahead and knock yourself out!! I have the heads paid for and enough cash to pay for the porting job. Now add another 1200.00 for rockers,etc. and it really adds up fast!! Fast forward to summer and they are talking 5.00 a gallon gas... I am really thinking strongly about pursuing some other hobby...Anyone else feel this way? Ted

E85 Ted...

thats why we are Gearheads..once in the system it never gets out..it may stay dormant for awhile, but as soon as you see a Hotrod..BAM!!

and besides, what else are you going to do...I have all the other hobbies that were costly, those are dormant for now...the car is top priority until its finished...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v506/s...mview=slideshow

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/24/12 01:53 PM

Hey,Jeff! Hows Tameless coming along? Isn't it strange how some of us are never happy with what we have? There is no way I would sell my car,it crossed my mind a few times but I came to my senses. From my 1/8th mile times last fall,It should have ran low 10.30s...Now I want as close to a 10.0 as I can! I also like what another racer said....Someday all we will have is the memerories...Man...That hit me right there!! Some of the best times we have had in the last 12 years have been with freinds and family at the track!
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/24/12 02:45 PM

Quote:

It's stories like these that make me glad I just have a slow but reliable street car. I'm still having a ton of fun.
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/24/12 02:59 PM

In November '08 I took 2 cars to Vegas and entered both in SuperStreet at the NHRA Divisional, one had a borrowed motor I couldn't afford to break, and my buddy put the other in the wall.

So, I quit chasing the NHRA trail, and haven't raced a Divisional or National since.

Since then I sold a 70 Challenger RT that had been sitting forever, (that resto Project that was always 2nd to the hotrods). I also got rid of a 70 Cuda project I was never going to finish.

So, I'm done with this crap, right? Wrong...

I turned the 62 Valiant that hit the wall back into a Street/strip car, and drove it 1250 miles on Drag Week 2011.

I finally bought an enclosed trailer.

I bought the aluminum Indy Maxx lowdeck, that I couldn't afford to break

I traded my brother out of his 67 440 powered Belvedere street car that can be driven anywhere and run 12's on motor and 11's on juice.

I bought a 69 Dart project, complete with a 408 w eddie heads and a sixpack.

My 70 Challenger race car is scheduled to get a strut front-end.

So...no, the insanity never stops!! Why my wife still loves me, I will never understand that either...

Attached picture 7087799-CopyofDragWeek051.jpg
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/24/12 03:28 PM

Quote:

Hey,Jeff! Hows Tameless coming along? Isn't it strange how some of us are never happy with what we have? There is no way I would sell my car,it crossed my mind a few times but I came to my senses. From my 1/8th mile times last fall,It should have ran low 10.30s...Now I want as close to a 10.0 as I can! I also like what another racer said....Someday all we will have is the memerories...Man...That hit me right there!! Some of the best times we have had in the last 12 years have been with freinds and family at the track!

been working on Tameless every day..the rear suspension is done...been working on the floor pans..for a car thats just about 50 years old, these are solid...there's no rust in the car..

I know what you mean about friends and family at the races...its something you only do once in a lifetime...better to have said you tried and did it and enjoyed it at any level..after all we aren't getting any younger..

heres the rear and a link to some new pics..

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v506/s...mview=slideshow
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/25/12 01:27 AM

No, I`ve been racing over 25 years and can`t wait for opening day! I was getting a little frustrated a few years ago with not going rounds and I felt I wasn`t competitive when the raised the low end of Heavy/Pro to 9.00. So I slowed the car down to run 11.50s, put on DOT front tires and QTPs on the rear now I am very competitive being one of the fastest cars in the class, I am going rounds and have had more Eliminator Wins since doing so, I`m having a blast!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/25/12 03:03 AM

You can't take it with you when go kaput so don't worry be happy and build what you can afford and leave it at that.
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/25/12 01:34 PM

Ted--relax--you have the iowa cabin fever--just like me. I have my headers on the living room couch . (no wife = i can do this)

you got your plan--you know the cost of going to Victors......

Its done -------so shut up , put it back together and ill see ya in the lanes in April !!

If you need some $$ , sell off some of the 231 guns you own !

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/25/12 03:44 PM

The cabin fever is pretty bad...I must admit!
Quote:

If you need some $$ , sell off some of the 231 guns you own !
Can't get rid of my retirement funds!!
Posted By: chris3

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/25/12 05:44 PM

The higher cost of fuel to tow the car is a big problem. Budget doesn't work when a main item keeps going higher. I have raced for so many years and still love every minute I spend either working on the car and racing. I now race with my son and my two grandsons and no money value can be placed on that. Don't know how many more years I will be able to do it, old age, and race as much as we can.

Have a small decal on the window that reads "Inside this car is a blood borne desease for which there is no known cure, Drag Racing"
Posted By: CoreyWilson

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/27/12 06:05 AM

Winter's been driving me crazy too, and the worst part is the past payouts at out out pulls will be just enough to maybe cover the cost of the fuel I'll be running for the day. But the new motor is coming along and made some great progress lately so I've gotten fired up again.
Posted By: viperblue72

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/27/12 06:26 AM

bama wants you driving an electric car.

Posted By: Bigbeep

Re: Does the insanity ever stop?? - 02/28/12 02:13 AM

Quote:

bama wants you driving an electric car.

Saw a sticker at the Mopower swap meet last weekend the read,
My hemi burns the gas your stupid hybrid saves!

I laughed out loud when reading it.

Beep
© 2024 Moparts Forums