Moparts

PISTON RING SUGGESTIONS...440???

Posted By: Labratt

PISTON RING SUGGESTIONS...440??? - 02/07/12 04:59 PM

I'm in the process of freshening-up the .040 over 440 in my GTX. When it was rebuilt 6 yrs. ago,Total Seal "Gapless" rings were used. I believe some of the blame for oil getting past the rings...and into the combustion chambers,could be attributed to the rings..along with intake port gaskets. What are your recommendations for a street/strip,11:1 comp. 440? Thanks in advance for your help! Randy B.

Attached picture 7058449-DSC01311(Small).JPG
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: PISTON RING SUGGESTIONS...440??? - 02/07/12 05:03 PM

No need to even worry about getting fancy with a ring pack for that Randy. Go with moly top, ductile, standard or mid tension oil, and dont waste anymore time on it. That application simply doesnt require anything else.

I really like the Mahle rings. Nice flat finish, fit and size well, and they have a smooth fit.

They old tried and true Sealed Power almost always work well, just at a much higher cost.Been using the Total Seal CR series for many many years as well.

I'm not sold on the NEED for gapless, other than a few specific ( usually some alcohol) type engines.
Posted By: abodiesonly1

Re: PISTON RING SUGGESTIONS...440??? - 02/07/12 05:09 PM

R 9278 045 Sealed Power File Fits
Posted By: jamesc

Re: PISTON RING SUGGESTIONS...440??? - 02/07/12 05:11 PM

Quote:

No need to even worry about getting fancy with a ring pack for that Randy. Go with moly top, ductile, standard or mid tension oil, and dont waste anymore time on it. That application simply doesnt require anything else.

there's your answer

Re: PISTON RING SUGGESTIONS...440??? - 02/07/12 06:45 PM

Thanks,guys! I just want to go with a proven ring combo! Definately don't want the oil control problem after I put the motor back together! I will also be buying a better rear main seal holder! My stock one has oil all over the back of the block! Best Machine?...Indy? Sounds like they both work well!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: PISTON RING SUGGESTIONS...440??? - 02/07/12 08:31 PM

Quote:

I really like the Mahle rings. Nice flat finish, fit and size well, and they have a smooth fit.

They old tried and true Sealed Power almost always work well, just at a much higher cost.Been using the Total Seal CR series for many many years as well.

I'm not sold on the NEED for gapless, other than a few specific ( usually some alcohol) type engines.

Posted By: STEFF

Re: PISTON RING SUGGESTIONS...440??? - 02/07/12 09:41 PM

You getting the block honed for the new rings?

Re: PISTON RING SUGGESTIONS...440??? - 02/07/12 10:00 PM

Steff,I plan on honing the cylinders myself. I still have to purchase a hone to do it. Raff only has small block hones...or I'd borrow one of his!
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: PISTON RING SUGGESTIONS...440??? - 02/07/12 10:54 PM

Quote:

Steff,I plan on honing the cylinders myself. I still have to purchase a hone to do it. Raff only has small block hones...or I'd borrow one of his!

Id do it with a plate and sunnen machine Randy. Better end result for cheap.
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: PISTON RING SUGGESTIONS...440??? - 02/08/12 01:29 AM

Sealed Power rings,,,moly top, ductile second, standard tension oil rings,,file fit,,not gapless...plate honed...your 'good to go'.
Posted By: Deepockets

Re: PISTON RING SUGGESTIONS...440??? - 02/08/12 01:56 AM

it would be good money spent to have it honed by machine like mentioned. thats my preferance.

Re: PISTON RING SUGGESTIONS...440??? - 02/08/12 02:19 AM

Thanks for your advice,guys...to the machine shop the block will go! I hear ya on using honing plates..that IS the way to go!
Posted By: mopardamo

Re: PISTON RING SUGGESTIONS...440??? - 02/08/12 04:51 AM

Hello,

I'm no engine builder but I thought that honing didn't need the plates? Any Pro's have a some input?

Damon

Re: PISTON RING SUGGESTIONS...440??? - 02/08/12 05:38 AM

Damon,I believe when the honing plates are torqued to spec(same as head torque specs) that it simulates the actual "distortion" of the shape of the cylinder...making the process more accurate...and ring sealing more effective!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: PISTON RING SUGGESTIONS...440??? - 02/08/12 06:36 AM

Quote:

Damon,I believe when the honing plates are torqued to spec(same as head torque specs) that it simulates the actual "distortion" of the shape of the cylinder...making the process more accurate...and ring sealing more effective!

Absolutely needed if you want to make the most power you can right away

Re: PISTON RING SUGGESTIONS...440??? - 02/08/12 05:03 PM

Thanks,Cab! Any suggestions on an after market rear main seal holder? I DO NOT trust using the stock one again! NO OIL LEAKS ALLOWED!!!
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: PISTON RING SUGGESTIONS...440??? - 02/08/12 05:06 PM

You do want to use a plate.

The BEST rear seal holder is a nice piece. I use both theirs and Indys without any issues.

Use the Superformance rear seal and side seals.

Re: PISTON RING SUGGESTIONS...440??? - 02/08/12 05:21 PM

Thanks for the info,Todd! I'll be in touch with Greg today,or tomorrow...I'll ask him about the seals then. Take care! Randy
Posted By: mopardamo

Re: PISTON RING SUGGESTIONS...440??? - 02/09/12 05:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Absolutely needed if you want to make the most power you can right away

Thanks. Good to know. I was thinking it was necessary for boring but not honing.

Damon
© 2024 Moparts Forums