Moparts

PROJECT PICS OF THE GTX..AS OF 2/2/2012

Posted By: Labratt

PROJECT PICS OF THE GTX..AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/02/12 06:33 PM

Back by "popular demand"...a pic of the brazed patch panel on driver's side rocker panel/door area! Thanks for your interest,and kind words...EVERYONE! Randy B.

Attached picture 7050129-GTXBODYWORK..DOORJAMBSANDING...METALPATCH001.jpg
Posted By: BloFish

Re: GTX BODY WORK PROGRESS...AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/02/12 06:38 PM

That's the correct way to do it
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: GTX BODY WORK PROGRESS...AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/02/12 07:32 PM

Is that a brazed lap joint?
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: GTX BODY WORK PROGRESS...AS OF 2/2/2012 *DELETED* - 02/02/12 07:57 PM

Post deleted by RodStRace

Re: GTX BODY WORK PROGRESS...AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/02/12 08:12 PM

Randy your pm box is full
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: GTX BODY WORK PROGRESS...AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/02/12 11:45 PM

I wondered,,,"just HOW MANY people will jump on the 'braze'...don't know how many or what, since the thread is going 'south',,,but,,I will tell you ALL,,it will last longer than most of us will. I realize, that mig/tig/etc is the NEW tech stuff...BUT,,the old stuff STILL works too!! I used the braze system on one of my old cars in '82,,don't look too bad today..! Chin up Randy..

Re: GTX BODY WORK PROGRESS...AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/02/12 11:55 PM

Thanks,Fred! NO MORE PROGRESS REPORTS FROM ME! Don't need to hear NEGATIVES when the work is ALREADY done!!! If it lasts as long as you say yours has...I'll be a HAPPY CAMPER!...probably a DEAD one,though!
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: GTX BODY WORK PROGRESS...AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/03/12 12:21 AM

Just to let some know,,I am going OT (off topic) here,,this a good example of why some people don't come on Moparts or leave Moparts,,,
I look at this site as a place to talk to others that have the same interests in Mopar cars as I do. It seems that some, just can't keep their fingers off the keyboard,,,they want to ridicule, argue, belittle, and create turmoil among the others. I look and talk on this site, the same as I would if we were all setting in my trailer at a race having a BS session. I feel that most of the time,,the remarks made by some , are just from envy of what the other has. Maybe I read too much into the 'deleted' posts,,,but I think I pretty well know what happened,,,,,I'm done now..

Re: GTX BODY WORK PROGRESS...AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/03/12 12:42 AM

Darn it, I just wanted to ask if it was what I thought it looked like? I hope Randy didn't take it the wrong way, if not we'll work it out in PMs.

Bodymen have been doing repairs like that for decades and it's nothing to worry about, considering how good he treats that car and all. If the guy doing the work has lots of experience with that technique, roll with it.

No worries she's still going to be gorgeous when done!

Re: GTX BODY WORK PROGRESS...AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/03/12 12:51 AM

I also was not trying to make anyone go away or stop sharing. Sorry Labratt!
I expressed my opinion and backed it up with a solid link. It's a LOT easier to fix now than later, so I was doing this as CONSTRUCTIVE criticsm. As I hope others would in the trailer or here online when they see something I was doing.

I have posted progress on my current project and have been open to critiques of the work. Here's the most recent page.
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=2&fpart=7

The welding isn't great, but I'm trying and sharing. I sure don't know it all and try not to act like one. Just trying to pass along a little of what I have learned recently.
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: GTX BODY WORK PROGRESS...AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/03/12 12:59 AM

Quote:

I wondered,,,"just HOW MANY people will jump on the 'braze'...don't know how many or what, since the thread is going 'south',,,but,,I will tell you ALL,,it will last longer than most of us will. I realize, that mig/tig/etc is the NEW tech stuff...BUT,,the old stuff STILL works too!! I used the braze system on one of my old cars in '82,,don't look too bad today..! Chin up Randy..

Many Many years ago I built a small trailer to haul my dirt bike and I brazed every piece and it....it gave me many years of service without fail and is probably still in service today...!!!!!!!

Rickster
Posted By: hudsonhornet7x

Re: GTX BODY WORK PROGRESS...AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/03/12 01:07 AM

Nothing wrong with brazing when you need to. The only concern I would have is that sometimes a brazed join that has filler( putty) over it will bubble like rust. I believe the flux from the rod and the filler can react with one another.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: GTX BODY WORK PROGRESS...AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/03/12 01:43 AM

Randy... if this was about a brazed fix on a panel,
I wouldnt even think twice about it... some panels
were brazed in the plant... if someone wants to say
its a bad way to go... they dont do body work... I've
use to be a body man years ago and seen it ALOT...
even I have done it... it still looks like new and that
was about 25 years now(better than most welded and
muddied joints).... I brazed both quarters on my 69
Valiant and the last time I seen them they looked
perfect
Posted By: dvw

Re: GTX BODY WORK PROGRESS...AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/03/12 03:19 AM

I've done both with good results. I think mig is actually easier. Either one can be screwed up if done incorrectly. I've seen pop riveted patches that have held for years that no one new about until the car was stripped for a repaint. The secret is a clean sealed surface. No moisture or contamination and your good to go. I'm looking forward to more progress pics from Randy.
Doug

Re: GTX BODY WORK PROGRESS...AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/03/12 04:38 AM

Thanks for ALL your comments,guys! I just DID NOT appreciate a NEGATIVE comment about technique...AFTER THE FACT! Raff(P-Body)can attest to the fact that I'm REAL easy going,almost to a fault some times!...but I don't care to be embarrassed..by ANYONE!..especially in a WORLD-WIDE forum such as this! I'm a big boy,though!...so, I'm not going to worry about any more comments in the future!...because the next..and LAST progress pics,will be AFTER the X has it's new paint applied..hopefully in 2-3 weeks! Thanks again,guys! BTW....Zippy,I'm not referring to YOU!...You were only asking a question,I got that!
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: GTX BODY WORK PROGRESS...AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/03/12 05:45 AM

i guess i'm too late to see the progress pics. i missed the drama thank heavens, but i really would've liked to see the pictures. i've done a lot of brazing of body parts in the past and always found it to be a solid way to attach and repair panels.
Randy, i hope you'll reconsider and put the progress back on here. please don't let the few ruin it for the many.

Re: GTX BODY WORK PROGRESS...AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/03/12 06:01 AM

Eveything's COOL! Dan..I'll post a few pics of recent body repairs..including the "controversial" brazed-patch repair! Thanks for your interest!

Attached picture 7051100-GTXBODYWORK..DOORJAMBSANDING...METALPATCH002.jpg

Re: GTX BODY WORK PROGRESS...AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/03/12 06:06 AM

Another one...just to prove that I'm actually HELPING with some of the sanding!

Attached picture 7051105-GTXBODYWORK..DOORJAMBSANDING003.jpg
Posted By: His and Her 69's

Re: GTX BODY WORK PROGRESS...AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/03/12 07:47 AM

Randy, I Don't believe you are Helping with the sanding.
I bet you just sat down for the photo to be taken and then
drank some brews. ha ha
I am NEVER that clean when I am sanding stuff down.
Car is coming along Nice and Good to see you are helping with the process. Most people don't know how Much work is involved in doing
bodywork.
Hope to see you at Milan this fall sometime.
David And Janet
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: GTX BODY WORK PROGRESS...AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/03/12 08:08 AM

Looks good to me. It certainly was a widely acepted method back in the day. That does not mean it is still not good now. Looks awesome and I see no reason to sweat it.
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: PROJECT PICS OF THE GTX..AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/03/12 12:23 PM

I think the patch panel brazing looks AWESOME

wish I could do that type of work...
Posted By: tboomer

Re: PROJECT PICS OF THE GTX..AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/03/12 01:07 PM

Looks good,Randy! Lots of guys still use that method. Don't let the keyboard kowboys piss ya off...It is your car and ya can do whatever you want to it!!
Posted By: Kindafast

Re: PROJECT PICS OF THE GTX..AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/03/12 01:22 PM

Hey Randy, I said before it was old school and was a good example of body work from back in the day. When I started doing body work there was no MIG it was gas or stick. Don't worrie a bit about the patches as long as they are clean they will be there long after the mig rust away.
Posted By: slippery440

Re: PROJECT PICS OF THE GTX..AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/03/12 02:25 PM

That patch is 100 times better than I could do.
Posted By: dragram440

Re: PROJECT PICS OF THE GTX..AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/03/12 03:45 PM

Those patches look very good. Nothing wrong with braze. Looks like they will need very little body filler.
Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

Re: PROJECT PICS OF THE GTX..AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/03/12 04:01 PM

The heck with the critics............I appreciate you putting yourself out there. Your GTX will be awesome when done.

Re: PROJECT PICS OF THE GTX..AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/03/12 04:24 PM

Thanks EVERYONE! David...the sanding pic was taken 5 minutes after I started! Not so clean when we called it a day,some 4 hours later!

Attached picture 7051467-GTXBODYWORK..DOORJAMBSANDING008.jpg

Re: PROJECT PICS OF THE GTX..AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/03/12 04:37 PM

I just wanted to say publicly that I'm sorry I created drama. That was not my intent and I'm glad we are back to getting another fine Mopar looking good!
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: PROJECT PICS OF THE GTX..AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/03/12 04:41 PM

Quote:

The heck with the critics............I appreciate you putting yourself out there. Your GTX will be awesome when done.

Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: PROJECT PICS OF THE GTX..AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/03/12 05:04 PM

Looks real REAL good Randy!
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: PROJECT PICS OF THE GTX..AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/03/12 05:28 PM

Quote:

Looks real REAL good Randy!

Keep up the good work.
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: GTX BODY WORK PROGRESS...AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/03/12 05:54 PM

Quote:

Looks good to me. It certainly was a widely acepted method back in the day. That does not mean it is still not good now. Looks awesome and I see no reason to sweat it.

the only negatives on the process that has reduced it's use are too much heat causes warpage and the acid in the flux working it way thru the finish in time. But there's not much stronger methods.

nice and clean looking job

Re: PROJECT PICS OF THE GTX..AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/03/12 06:39 PM

Quote:

I just wanted to say publicly that I'm sorry I created drama. That was not my intent and I'm glad we are back to getting another fine Mopar looking good!

Thank You,John!...and EVERYONE else,for the kind words! It's going to be like owning a NEW car,with the fresh paint,ALL NEW WIRING under the hood...and recently cnc-ported Eddy's adding a little more power! With the "aerodynamic" paint ..and some estimated 80 more horsepower from the head work...I just might get me some 10 second time slips...and look good doing it! Randy
Posted By: BloFish

Re: PROJECT PICS OF THE GTX..AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/03/12 07:55 PM

I would put money on that

Re: PROJECT PICS OF THE GTX..AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/03/12 09:36 PM

Thanks for your vote of confidence,Steve!

Attached picture 7051920-HARPERCRUISE-2010006.jpg
Posted By: Kam*Kuda

Re: PROJECT PICS OF THE GTX..AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/03/12 09:48 PM

Quote:

:..and some estimated 80 more horsepower from the head work...I just might get me some 10 second time slips...and look good doing it! Randy

o

Looks good Randy, but if you truly want to look good, may I suggest you put your wife or daughter in the car instead LOL

Re: PROJECT PICS OF THE GTX..AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/04/12 04:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

:..and some estimated 80 more horsepower from the head work...I just might get me some 10 second time slips...and look good doing it! Randy

o

Looks good Randy, but if you truly want to look good, may I suggest you put your wife or daughter in the car instead LOL

Raccoon Wrangler....sure got that right! They're BOTH much prettier than me! I'm truly a LUCKY man to have such beauty around me on a daily basis! Here's the proof!

Attached picture 7052549-CHRISTMASEVE@MIKE&LINDA'S-2010008.jpg
Posted By: bonefish

Re: PROJECT PICS OF THE GTX..AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/04/12 04:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

o

Raccoon Wranger....sure got that right! They're BOTH much prettier than me! I'm truly a LUCKY man to have such beauty around me on a daily basis! Here's the proof!

AND THEY CAN BAKE!!!!!

Re: PROJECT PICS OF THE GTX..AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/04/12 05:51 AM

Al...of course they can! Cook, and clean the house,as well! Wouldn't have it any other way!
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: PROJECT PICS OF THE GTX..AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/04/12 06:12 AM

Coming along nicely and it always looks a bit funky till it`s in paint.

Re: PROJECT PICS OF THE GTX..AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/05/12 04:01 PM

Thanks,Dom! The sheet metal will be MUCH "straighter" than before! Can't wait until the paint is applied! When the paint is done,the X will be coming back home...and I'll be detailing and painting the front suspension pieces,and K-Frame! Then the "freshened-up" 440 will be installed! I might just be afraid to take it out when completed! Dom..hope you visit here once in a while!...please stay in touch,Brother! BEST OF LUCK in the future! Sincerely,Randy B.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: PROJECT PICS OF THE GTX..AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/05/12 04:08 PM

driving a freshly painted car on the street is like casting a shinny lure into a bass pond.
Posted By: Dartin

Re: PROJECT PICS OF THE GTX..AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/05/12 09:21 PM

Looking good Big R! Thanks for sharing the progress. Your fingers are going to be sore for a looong time !

Randy

Re: PROJECT PICS OF THE GTX..AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/06/12 11:53 PM

Al...is a "shinny lure" similiar to a Mr. Twister? Thanks,Randy!...I'll be busy getting my fingers sore again tomorrow!
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: PROJECT PICS OF THE GTX..AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/07/12 12:11 AM

looking forward to some "green" pics.

Re: PROJECT PICS OF THE GTX..AS OF 2/2/2012 - 02/07/12 04:45 PM

Lew..sounds like next week..the entire car will be covered in GREEN! We'll see!???

Attached picture 7058424-GTXATBODYSHOP(TONY'S)005.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums