Moparts

Your thoughts on building a Jeep Gasser?

Posted By: 9 Sec Phill

Your thoughts on building a Jeep Gasser? - 02/02/12 04:58 AM

Been having idea's rolling through my head about making a CJ5 jeep into a gasser, straight front axel, fiberglass tub and front end, light weight under 1800 lbs. With a stroked 318 in the 400 CI area and run Drag week with it. I figuered most jeeps have roll cages so it wouldnt look out of place. Throw an 8/3/4 rear in it and run some 275 Drag radials and a set of 135/15's up front on some Rocket launcher fronts and Injector rears. I found a project a guy lost intest on. So now the bug has bitten me again to build another Bad ride on the cheap. What are your thoughs?.....Phill
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Your thoughts on me building a Jeep Gasser? - 02/02/12 05:00 AM

We're gunna need about 20 lbs of chicken
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: Your thoughts on me building a Jeep Gasser? - 02/02/12 05:01 AM

it would be different...actually as a gasser it would look AWESOME...I say...go for it as long as its on the cheap....now Im sounding like a Dad...LOL
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Your thoughts on me building a Jeep Gasser? - 02/02/12 05:26 AM

Here is one Dave Edwards raced back in the 80's in SG.

Re: Your thoughts on me building a Jeep Gasser? - 02/02/12 05:32 AM

This one would have to have the stance of a Gasser with the front being higher then the rear. Heres a pic of the tub.

Attached picture 7049379-015.JPG
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Your thoughts on me building a Jeep Gasser? - 02/02/12 06:03 AM

Here's a couple from the 70's @ OCIR..

Chris..

Attached picture 7049421-HolyToledo.jpg

Re: Your thoughts on me building a Jeep Gasser? - 02/02/12 06:05 AM

Another..

Attached picture 7049426-LarryTheLeg.jpg

Re: Your thoughts on me building a Jeep Gasser? - 02/02/12 06:06 AM

One more..

Chris..

Attached picture 7049430-LarryTheLeg(2).jpg
Posted By: His and Her 69's

Re: Your thoughts on me building a Jeep Gasser? - 02/02/12 08:26 AM

I saw one like you are talking about on Pass Time and he rolled it.
He got out of shape and couldn't correct it soon enough and over he went.
They are very tipsy vehicles, short wheelbase, etc.
I wouldn't do it but I am a little on the tame side doing things.
David
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Your thoughts on me building a Jeep Gasser? - 02/02/12 02:10 PM

I had thought about doing the same thing with the 408 while the valiant is in limbo....LOL Here's an idea, but I was thinking of moving the front suspension out in front of the radiator for more wheelbase

Rickster
Posted By: THE GLASS MAN

Re: Your thoughts on me building a Jeep Gasser? - 02/02/12 02:40 PM

Quote:

Another..

I do believe that the one picture is of a MG not a Jeep. Clyde Sutton chopped the top on his Jeep Wagon and dropped a 426 Hemi into it and took it to The U.S. Nationals back in 1967 and won B/MP with no firewall or core support mods. That car still survives today as a street rod, and I just spoke to Clyde 3 weeks ago.
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Your thoughts on me building a Jeep Gasser? - 02/02/12 02:55 PM

TOOOO short of wheelbase .... as mentioned ESPECIALLY with a straight axle ...tooo top heavy ....

Want to be diff ? ......join the building a Grand Caravan crowd
Posted By: SLOW67

Re: Your thoughts on me building a Jeep Gasser? - 02/02/12 04:16 PM

I started to build one about 4 years ago with a cj5. I had a c-body 8 3/4, 80's cherokee front straight axle and a rebuilt 440. Looked pretty cool but I sold it before it was finished. A local guy bought it for mud drags lol. My thoughts were light, cheap, and could be built with spare parts
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Your thoughts on me building a Jeep Gasser? - 02/02/12 05:08 PM

I owned and drove an old Gasser AWB on the street for years. Fine for around town and point and squirt, there is no way I'd follow the tracks of what was shared HERE about last year's drag week.
It's just not a combo that is long haul comfortable. A gasser has a high polar moment of intertia, a high center of gravity, a short wheelbase and different tire sizes at each end.
As an example, A T-bucket would be better due to the first 2 being more realistic. Notice how many of the drag jeeps pictured are lower and longer WB?
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Your thoughts on me building a Jeep Gasser? - 02/02/12 05:17 PM

Quote:

I had thought about doing the same thing with the 408 while the valiant is in limbo....LOL Here's an idea, but I was thinking of moving the front suspension out in front of the radiator for more wheelbase

Rickster

I'd think something like that would be much safer. My bro has an 82 CJ5, that thing is tiny, you are sitting on the rear tire almost. He wanted to but a SBC in it and I told him he was crazy....
Posted By: Dduster

Re: Your thoughts on me building a Jeep Gasser? - 02/02/12 07:19 PM

You might want to think over the frontend being higher than the rear for the shortness of wheelbase of a CJ? Novel concept but might be a handful to drive at Super Gas speeds?
Posted By: topside

Re: Your thoughts on me building a Jeep Gasser? - 02/02/12 11:01 PM

I'd prefer that you live to a ripe old age, so as a Gasser, no; as more of a Funny Car (albeit slower), sure. A longer WB and a low nose don't really fit the Gasser image, but the thing would be less hairy at speed and take less power to force it through the air. IIRC, there's an earlier version of Holy Toledo that's less "Funny" and more Jeep-like; pretty sure I remember seeing it at Lions.

Re: Your thoughts on me building a Jeep Gasser? - 02/03/12 12:11 AM

Rick, Thats just what I want to build. I was also thinking of moving the front axel forward a bit. Is this a model you built, Its kick azz. Now I have a picture in my head, I even like to paint. ..Phill
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Your thoughts on me building a Jeep Gasser? - 02/03/12 12:38 AM

Do IT ! then come play with the GRS www.gasserracingseries.com
I'm just starting a Willys Wagon gasser project.
Posted By: THE GLASS MAN

Re: Your thoughts on me building a Jeep Gasser? - 02/03/12 12:56 AM

Quote:

TOOOO short of wheelbase .... as mentioned ESPECIALLY with a straight axle ...tooo top heavy ....

Want to be diff ? ......join the building a Grand Caravan crowd

Hey Doc, I have one of those Grand Caravans for sale--chopped top and the 440 sits behind the driver. Interested in it for $4000--turn key, go racing.
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Your thoughts on me building a Jeep Gasser? - 02/03/12 01:03 AM

Quote:

Rick, Thats just what I want to build. I was also thinking of moving the front axel forward a bit. Is this a model you built, Its kick azz. Now I have a picture in my head, I even like to paint. ..Phill

No Phill I found it doing a google image search....I would extend the front frame at least a foot out in the front and not quite as high, but higher than the rear....would look very cool as well

Dare to be different

Rickster

Re: Your thoughts on building a Jeep Gasser? - 02/03/12 01:04 AM

Heres some more inspiration

Attached picture 7050674-!cid_X_MA10_1263323090@aol.jpg

Re: Your thoughts on building a Jeep Gasser? - 02/03/12 01:06 AM

and another

Attached picture 7050678-old1(45).jpg
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Your thoughts on building a Jeep Gasser? - 02/03/12 01:16 AM

I could see it...have to have a extended wheel base. Friend of mine, actually a old mentor is Mr Jeep in these parts. Remember we have Gravelrama like 4 miles from my house. I watched/helped him work on jeeps for hundreds of hours when I was hanging out at his shop.

He is retired now and his shop is closed but I still talk with him often.

Good luck if you decide to build and drive it. It'll get your heart a pumping.

Re: Your thoughts on building a Jeep Gasser? - 02/03/12 02:56 AM

Here is one a friend sent me, I like the looks of it with the front end farther forward this one is issing the tank on the front.

Attached picture 7050865-jeep2.jpg
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: Your thoughts on building a Jeep Gasser? - 02/03/12 03:04 PM

Phill,
My thoughts: Always wanted to do one since Boone had a CJ5 with a 302 Ford in it back in the early 80's..lotsa fun!!
There is Video right now of a scout gasser on Bangshift.com, evil handling little monster even at low 11's!!

As someone who has done 2 DragWeeks, 6 Marathons, 4 UltraMarathons, and 3 24 hour footraces... I think I'm uniquely qualified to say "DragWeek is like a marathon"!!

So, if I were doing it, and understanding the extremes in weather that are likely, I'd want a full windshield, and a soft-top at the very least. I'd build it with an eye for fun more than speed, seriously, who would want to go faster than say 120 something in a nose high, straight axle, short wheelbase vehicle??

My Dad's truck used to be a handfull at 12.03-110. The steering box had an eighth turn play, and you sorta "Herded" it on the big end. It was a blast, but my Dad would say, "I don't know how you guys run 10's". Then we let him drive our cars and he was shocked at how easy it was. We confessed, "Dad, that truck we put together for you is the scariest drive we own..., but it sure is fun!!"
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Your thoughts on building a Jeep Gasser? - 02/04/12 12:32 AM

Another picture of Dave Edwards Jeep at the Gators

Re: Your thoughts on building a Jeep Gasser? - 02/04/12 04:36 AM

Quote:

Phill,
My thoughts: Always wanted to do one since Boone had a CJ5 with a 302 Ford in it back in the early 80's..lotsa fun!!
There is Video right now of a scout gasser on Bangshift.com, evil handling little monster even at low 11's!!

As someone who has done 2 DragWeeks, 6 Marathons, 4 UltraMarathons, and 3 24 hour footraces... I think I'm uniquely qualified to say "DragWeek is like a marathon"!!

So, if I were doing it, and understanding the extremes in weather that are likely, I'd want a full windshield, and a soft-top at the very least. I'd build it with an eye for fun more than speed, seriously, who would want to go faster than say 120 something in a nose high, straight axle, short wheelbase vehicle??

My Dad's truck used to be a handfull at 12.03-110. The steering box had an eighth turn play, and you sorta "Herded" it on the big end. It was a blast, but my Dad would say, "I don't know how you guys run 10's". Then we let him drive our cars and he was shocked at how easy it was. We confessed, "Dad, that truck we put together for you is the scariest drive we own..., but it sure is fun!!"

Ive been on two Hot rod power tours, Raced the Promax fastest street car series all across the US. Im no virgin, Im thinking the windshield and bikini top is all its going to have. Im sure I can make this thing handle. Ive built my fair share of fast rides and im looking for some thing thats going to scare me a little. The old cuda ran 10.ohs to 10 teens with a 150hp shot, Im going to try to do it on just motor, maybe a little faster. As a good friend always says "Will See"
© 2024 Moparts Forums