Moparts

Cam bearing tool?

Posted By: mac56

Cam bearing tool? - 01/28/12 04:36 PM

Anyone have their own for BB and how well do you like it?
Posted By: SportF

Re: Cam bearing tool? - 01/28/12 05:06 PM

I was lucky enough to have the tools to make one at work after hours, and I wish I would have had one years ago. I can put bearings in, correctly indexed to my likeing, and the bearings are cheap enough, why not put new ones in every re-fresh?.
Posted By: cl440

Re: Cam bearing tool? - 01/28/12 05:19 PM

We have a Lisle Cam Bearing Tool . Works good

Re: Cam bearing tool? - 01/28/12 05:33 PM

Quote:

I was lucky enough to have the tools to make one at work after hours, and I wish I would have had one years ago. I can put bearings in, correctly indexed to my likeing, and the bearings are cheap enough, why not put new ones in every re-fresh?.

Tom did you make individual plugs to drive each bearing in? Do you have a picture of the tool you made?
Posted By: Diablo

Re: Cam bearing tool? - 01/28/12 05:35 PM

Dad made one for our engines. I'll try and get some pictures when i go home tonight.
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Cam bearing tool? - 01/28/12 05:37 PM

Quote:

Re: Cam bearing tool? - 01/28/12 05:43 PM

Quote:

Dad made one for our engines. I'll try and get some pictures when i go home tonight.

Hey DJ that would be great.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Cam bearing tool? - 01/28/12 05:47 PM

i got one from MAC TOOLS,works great.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Cam bearing tool? - 01/28/12 06:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mine looks just like the Lisle. Ron
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Cam bearing tool? - 01/28/12 07:09 PM

I bought one from Snap On and it looks exactly like the Lisle tool Works good for over 15 yrs now

Re: Cam bearing tool? - 01/28/12 07:21 PM

I made 5 bearing drivers and 2 nylon support bushings. The nylon supports the shaft when installing a couple of the bearings to keep everything straight. The drivers are pretty easy to make on a lathe if you have the bushings in front of you to measure off of. I made this so the drivers fit about a 1/3 of the way down the shaft so both ends of the shaft can be located in the block to keep things square. The two outside bearings, front and back, then are located off of the already installed inside bearings.
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Cam bearing tool? - 01/28/12 08:53 PM

the lisle tool is most common i have one and it's ok (not great). the dura bond tool is imho superior but pricey. one thing i learned is to not install all the bearings then check the cam fit. put the first two in then check the fit and do it with each one after that, that way you can get a better idea which one might be causing problems if the cam is tight.

Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Cam bearing tool? - 01/29/12 12:05 AM

This is what I made up a while ago...

Not shown in the pic is a rubber cone which slides over the tool to keep it inline with the engine.

Re: Cam bearing tool? - 01/29/12 12:30 AM

That is a very pretty tool!
Posted By: Moparpoor

Re: Cam bearing tool? - 01/29/12 12:52 AM

That is very nice!
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: Cam bearing tool? - 01/29/12 03:38 AM

Quote:

I bought one of those a last summer to drive some cam bearings out/in and it worked great.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Cam bearing tool? - 01/29/12 03:41 AM

Quote:

I bought one from Snap On and it looks exactly like the Lisle tool

Mine is a Snap-On also.

Too late to comparison shop now...works just fine, no complaints. If I was starting over I'm not sure I wouldn't get the Lisle one instead.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Cam bearing tool? - 01/29/12 04:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I bought one of those a last summer to drive some cam bearings out/in and it worked great.

picked up one of those for 40 dollars off CL..have yet to use it yet...
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Cam bearing tool? - 01/29/12 03:59 PM

Quote:

Besides cam bearings, I've used mine to knock in 727 bushings.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Cam bearing tool? - 01/29/12 05:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mine is a Snap-On also.

Too late to comparison shop now...works just fine, no complaints. If I was starting over I'm not sure I wouldn't get the Lisle one instead.

I got my isle thru the snap on dealer , It comes in handy for many things, like changing many of the bushings in a 727 .
Posted By: drew72

Re: Cam bearing tool? - 01/30/12 02:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mine is a Snap-On also.

I got my isle thru the snap on dealer , It comes in handy for many things, like changing many of the bushings in a 727 .

This is because Lisle makes the Snap on tool.
© 2024 Moparts Forums