Moparts

hemi rocker choice

Posted By: johnzgarage

hemi rocker choice - 01/20/12 08:26 PM

Im building a 65 belvedere sedan a990 clone. The engine is a 472 cid , 12.5 comp. , solid roller cam and mp aluminum heads . The car will be used mainly for street fun and show, maybe a run or two down the strip. I havent picked out a rocker system yet. Do i need really need to go all $$$$$ on a set rockers shafts and stands, or will a cheaper setup like the one on ebay(sorry) work fine? Wouldnt the stock setup and roller tips on the intake work fine??? I really cant see paying for stage v stuff, when the engine will be rarely push hard. What type of problems might I have with stock parts ???
Posted By: mickm

Re: hemi rocker choice - 01/20/12 08:58 PM

it depends on how radical the cam is. personally, i think the stock setup is good for a lot more than most think. stage V is incredible stuff, (a while back i was working on herb's car with him, i walked up to the engine compartment and he had the valve cover off, and it literally took my breath away! they are works of art, especially when all in place on the head!), but unless it is high horsepower and radical cam specs, i don't think it is necessary.

stock wide pad rockers with the geometry set correctly will do the trick.

Re: hemi rocker choice - 01/20/12 09:23 PM

I havent picked the exact cam yet, but I will try to match it to the max head flow cfm @ 3800-4800 rpm range and what my valve springs can take. Just needs to sound like the old super stockers....I forgot to add that it has a cross ram and 770 carbs.
Posted By: mark42202

Re: hemi rocker choice *DELETED* - 01/20/12 10:34 PM

Post deleted by moparts
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: hemi rocker choice - 01/20/12 11:24 PM

You can safely life with stock rockers other than all out 9,000rpm .850 lift cams.
I have used narrow pads on motors that regualrly saw 8,000 RPm without trouble.

are there better ones ? yes but do you need to buy them ?

I WOULD FIND A BETTER PLACE FOR MY MONEY
Posted By: THE GLASS MAN

Re: hemi rocker choice - 01/21/12 02:10 AM

Quote:

You can safely life with stock rockers other than all out 9,000rpm .850 lift cams.
I have used narrow pads on motors that regualrly saw 8,000 RPm without trouble.

are there better ones ? yes but do you need to buy them ?

I WOULD FIND A BETTER PLACE FOR MY MONEY

Re: hemi rocker choice - 01/21/12 04:58 AM

these are from Arlen's Cuda 70's pro stocker and saw 9,000 rpm shift points every pass back then.
The geometry was not perfect but I don't remember many breaking

Attached picture 7029190-6887076-may_2011171.jpg
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: hemi rocker choice - 01/21/12 05:08 AM

Quote:

Do i need really need to go all $$$$$ on a set rockers shafts and stands, or will a cheaper setup like the one on ebay(sorry) work fine?

I haven't heard a single good word about the cheap chinese junk sets being sold cheap on ebay, that is definitely a you get what you pay for.

you buy cheap crap , you get cheap crap .
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: hemi rocker choice - 01/21/12 05:29 AM

My understanding is the Canadian guy on Ebay's stuff is junk, I've never seen the stuff but that's what I've heard.
I've only been running Hemi's since 1980, but I've never had a failure of any type with the stock rockers. Yeah the other stuff looks nice but you can't beat the old original Mopar parts for reliability and price.

Sheldon
Posted By: robnbird

Re: hemi rocker choice - 01/21/12 05:58 AM

Quote:

Im building a 65 belvedere sedan a990 clone. The engine is a 472 cid , 12.5 comp. , solid roller cam and mp aluminum heads . The car will be used mainly for street fun and show, maybe a run or two down the strip. I havent picked out a rocker system yet. Do i need really need to go all $$$$$ on a set rockers shafts and stands, or will a cheaper setup like the one on ebay(sorry) work fine? Wouldnt the stock setup and roller tips on the intake work fine??? I really cant see paying for stage v stuff, when the engine will be rarely push hard. What type of problems might I have with stock parts ???

Im building a 542ci indy heads with indy rockers. stock will work fine for street and strip. In other word no rollers. And you don't need them. However if you want them and mine are a new complete set indy rollers, stands, and rocker shafts and springs for 1800. there are some stock type on racing junk under engine parts for around 1000 I think.

Re: hemi rocker choice - 01/21/12 06:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Do i need really need to go all $$$$$ on a set rockers shafts and stands, or will a cheaper setup like the one on ebay(sorry) work fine?

I haven't heard a single good word about the cheap chinese junk sets being sold cheap on ebay, that is definitely a you get what you pay for.

As far as I know we haven't heard any complaints here which shocks me. Maybe no one here used them or had problems and is not about to post it?

I do know of one set that had terrible ratio variations

I think I have a decent stock set around for 1K
Posted By: robnbird

Re: hemi rocker choice - 01/21/12 06:34 AM

Quote:

for street and an occasional blast down the track stock are fine. However if you have to spend 1500 for stock, go the extra for rollers.

Re: hemi rocker choice - 01/21/12 05:49 PM

Thanks for all the anwsers. I think I will shop around for a nice oem set, but if I see a great deal on a trick roller set, I might jump on it !!!!!!
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: hemi rocker choice - 01/21/12 06:16 PM

Stage Vs are the best I've seen,but for under $2000 you can buy a complete set of Indy roller rockers with shafts,clamps,aluminium stands,side springs and shims.The Indy set with the adjustable steel stands is about $300 more.A set of intake and exhaust rockers are a little over $1000.We have had great results with the Indys on all our Hemi builds.
Posted By: 72Challenger

Re: hemi rocker choice - 01/21/12 08:48 PM

I've been running stock 'narrow' ones for years like Fred said. No problems but I'm only running 7000 rpms with a solid flat tappet cam 283@050 .667 lift. I think it mostly depends on spring pressures vs rpm you gonnan run...
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: hemi rocker choice - 01/24/12 02:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As far as I know we haven't heard any complaints here which shocks me. Maybe no one here used them or had problems and is not about to post it?

Back when I was building my hemi in 2006, I asked about those cheap ebay canadian rockers. I forget who it was, but someone here told me they'd had a set and the geometry was so bad they sent them back.
I went w/ DLI rollers. My dad's street hemi will have a set of factory widepads.
Posted By: Defbob

Re: hemi rocker choice - 01/25/12 01:34 PM

Attached picture 7036118-4-06-09-02.JPG

Re: hemi rocker choice - 01/25/12 01:36 PM

someone else's motor here

Attached picture 7036123-StageVrockers2.jpg
Posted By: jyrki

Re: hemi rocker choice - 01/25/12 01:44 PM

How about the Barton / T&D set up?
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: hemi rocker choice - 01/25/12 01:57 PM

Quote:

How about the Barton / T&D set up?

Very nice, but expensive and unnecessary unless you're running 8k+ rpm.
Posted By: dthemi

Re: hemi rocker choice - 01/25/12 02:37 PM

At one time factory rockers were on fuel cars.

Stage V stuff is very nice, Indy's stuff isn't bad either and they have adjustable stands now.

The T+D stuff is expensive, but it allows you to do so much more on getting the geometry correct, and keeping it there after a valve job, or changing valve length and so on. Not to mention the pushrod clearance issues. The T+D will allow you sacrifice one parameter to gain in another. The time saved in geometry correction makes them worth the money to me, and they're just plain better than the factory style stuff in my opinion.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: hemi rocker choice - 01/25/12 03:31 PM

Quote:

At one time factory rockers were on fuel cars.

Stage V stuff is very nice, Indy's stuff isn't bad either and they have adjustable stands now.

The T+D stuff is expensive, but it allows you to do so much more on getting the geometry correct, and keeping it there after a valve job, or changing valve length and so on. Not to mention the pushrod clearance issues. The T+D will allow you sacrifice one parameter to gain in another. The time saved in geometry correction makes them worth the money to me, and they're just plain better than the factory style stuff in my opinion. [/quote

The only problem is depending on where you buy them they can cost 2X/3X what others are.Depending on the build would be the justification of the extra cost.The Indys can be adjusted on Indys Legend heads or when using the steel stands on OEM style heads.We have Indys on 90% of our hemi builds and even on Donny's blown alcohol engine.We have had zero failures in 11 years of using them.
With out a doubt the T/Ds are the best,we were told by T/D that we have to buy them from Barton.They are adjustable and they eliminate any possible oil issues.Darren,we were told there are a couple of versions,can you shed some light on this.
Posted By: jyrki

Re: hemi rocker choice - 01/25/12 03:38 PM

I have a set in zillion boxes. The oiling is through spray bar? Hasn't really yet opened to me how that works.
Posted By: mickm

Re: hemi rocker choice - 01/25/12 06:49 PM

Quote:

someone else's motor here

like i said earlier, works of art!
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: hemi rocker choice - 01/25/12 07:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Fred , here is where I seen it said about them .
Posted By: HEMI472

Re: hemi rocker choice - 01/25/12 10:51 PM

where is the best place to buy a set of stock rockers?? i need stands and shafts too. thanks Ed

Re: hemi rocker choice - 01/26/12 11:27 PM

Darren, How did the FX Hemi rockers work out?
© 2024 Moparts Forums