Moparts

AJ's car goes 6.46!

Posted By: Irun5snd8th

AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/20/12 05:19 AM

Richie Stevens diving
AJ's car goes 6.46
Posted By: ChrisJohnston669

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/20/12 08:03 AM

I want to see this when it matters....GA&JL will rule ps again...
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/20/12 08:53 AM

Quote:

I want to see this when it matters....GA&JL will rule ps again...

The new cylinder head is much better.. You may be right, but we'll see.

Chris..
Posted By: dartman366

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/20/12 03:54 PM

While it's great that AJ's camp has made some strides but,,how much has the other camps gained? seems that for the most part each team is in lock step with the other when it come to power and chassis gains. jmo
Posted By: tboomer

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/20/12 03:56 PM

Looks like he made some progress...But like Bill says...What are the brand X guys running?
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/20/12 04:46 PM

Good numbers got to wonder what weight they are at, or maybe what cube? Especailly given they have everyone covered by almost a tenth Nice to stir up some support but a lot of these testing numbers you see each year are just, that testing numbers. Just curious, I see these killer testing passes every year in the beginning weeks of testing then they are never seen again. At any rate certainly a stout pass for any NA 500" engine
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/20/12 05:21 PM

Quote:

Good numbers got to wonder what weight they are at, or maybe what cube? Especailly given they have everyone covered by almost a tenth Nice to stir up some support but a lot of these testing numbers you see each year are just, that testing numbers. Just curious, I see these killer testing passes every year in the beginning weeks of testing then they are never seen again. At any rate certainly a stout pass for any NA 500" engine

why would they waste test time on anything that is not legal?

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/20/12 05:29 PM

Do you really think they are going to cover those cars by a tenth or more?

Pro Stock teams test all the time with "mule" engines. It is not uncommon at all. I think I made the point of why as well. BUZZ.......Got you all to take notice did it not???

Not saying that is what is going on but you RARELY see those huge numbers manifest during the season. There is always a few passes in testing that become the "shot heard round the world".

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/20/12 05:44 PM

Quote:

Do you really think they are going to cover those cars by a tenth or more?

Pro Stock teams test all the time with "mule" engines. It is not uncommon at all. I think I made the point of why as well. BUZZ.......Got you all to take notice did it not???

Not saying that is what is going on but you RARELY see those huge numbers manifest during the season. There is always a few passes in testing that become the "shot heard round the world".

it's not a tenth brand x ran a 6.49

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/20/12 05:46 PM

Just sayin....He had most of the field covered and we will see if the numbers pan out. Says the DA was 700'ish which is certainly good air, but not mineshaft for sure. Do you think Larry Morgan's .49 will be indicative of the coming season?

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/20/12 06:17 PM

it's not uncommon to see -1200' down here this time of the years. thats why you never see it duplicated during the race season.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/20/12 06:27 PM

Good numbers for sure, but they don't mean squat. Let's see how it runs when start running for points. My guess is they will look good at the start of the season and by the mid season they will be off by .05.

Jeggie may be a different story though.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/20/12 06:52 PM

Must be some brand X people over here on our Mopar site. Calling our Mopar Pro Stock racers cheaters

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/20/12 07:08 PM

Aint cheatin if it is testing...You know me brand X all the way
Posted By: justinp61

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/20/12 07:34 PM

Quote:

Must be some brand X people over here on our Mopar site. Calling our Mopar Pro Stock racers cheaters

How can you cheat in testing? As far as I know there are no testing rules for weight, engine size or shocks.

It's the same every year, you see some great numbers during testing and never see them in competition. It has nothing to do with Mopar loyalty, just facts.

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/20/12 07:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

How can you cheat in testing? As far as I know there are no testing rules for weight, engine size or shocks.

It's the same every year, you see some great numbers during testing and never see them in competition. It has nothing to do with Mopar loyalty, just facts.

and air quality
Posted By: hankcrank

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/20/12 07:56 PM

I agree with AL every team during pre-season testing come up with great ET's but are rarely repeated during the season when it counts.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/20/12 09:14 PM

Yep, Al's right, point made.

But, it does make for a really nice press release!
Fastest unofficial pass in pro stock history, and so forth.
Posted By: tjmarcus1

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/20/12 10:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

why would they waste test time on anything that is not legal?

EXACTLY!!!
Posted By: tjmarcus1

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/20/12 10:19 PM

uh.... i think i am lost. is this still a mopar site?

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/20/12 10:21 PM

A few years back the Mopar engines they were running look more like chevy engines than John Forces ford engines look like Mopar engines!!!!
If John Force & Larry Morgan can run Mopar engines & call them ford engines...would there be a problem with AJ running a WJ brand X engine?
Posted By: b1dartsport

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/20/12 11:25 PM

I will get more exited if I see Jeggie running big numbers. If he does, the brand X boys are in big trouble. He seemed to beat them with driving even when he was a little bit off with the combo.

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/20/12 11:28 PM

Quote:

I will get more exited if I see Jeggie running big numbers. If he does, the brand X boys are in big trouble. He seemed to beat them with driving even when he was a little bit off with the combo.

heck what about Vince?
Posted By: Irun5snd8th

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/20/12 11:53 PM

Enders car was on the grounds and she has Cagnazzi power. But agreed that the Summit guys and Younglife were not on the grounds. Wont see if its true until they show up.
Posted By: b1dartsport

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/20/12 11:59 PM

Tony, Vince is a great driver also, I just don't think he has the resorces and the track record that the Jeg camp has. Jeggie has always had the nack of coming up with the big performance when he needs it. I just think its going to be a lot more fun watching P/S this year. I would bet the summit boys are not real happy to hear of Jeggies return. If you look down through the years he has been a major thorn in thier side no matter what he drives.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/21/12 12:05 AM

Quote:

Yep, Al's right, point made.

But, it does make for a really nice press release!
Fastest unofficial pass in pro stock history, and so forth.

That's about all it's good for; a press release in the quickly-getting-BORING world of NHRA Drag Racing. (Why don't we have a YAWN graemlin?)

While I doubt they're any bigger than 500 cubes, it wouldn't surprise me if ANYONE left a "little weight" in the trailer to generate some ink.

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/21/12 12:10 AM

Quote:

Tony, Vince is a great driver also, I just don't think he has the resorces and the track record that the Jeg camp has. Jeggie has always had the nack of coming up with the big performance when he needs it. I just think its going to be a lot more fun watching P/S this year. I would bet the summit boys are not real happy to hear of Jeggies return. If you look down through the years he has been a major thorn in thier side no matter what he drives.

Posted By: kingdust

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/21/12 12:28 AM

AJ always had the power, he was the favorite last year because he posting low et and MPH numbers in testing and towards the end of 2009 he was really puttin it on the rest of the class. AJ was the favorite to finally win the championship by the writers and even some of his fello drivers. it just seems he always qualifies in the top 5 and either has clutch or chassis problems and can never be consistant,or when everything seems to be on the money he cant cut a good enough light. the only reason i even watch nhra is because of pro stock and pro stock bike. other wise its the JOHN AND ASHLY FORCE SHOW! and frankly im tired of it.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/21/12 01:30 AM

Nobile uses Johnson power.Allen went with a Haas chassis as that is what Vincent is using,so that they can compare notes and combos.Some have forgotten that AJ kept Jim Yates on board as consultant or crew member.Yates has a lot of experience with a Haas chassis..look at his 60ft times.Larry Morgan also went into the 6.40 range.I don't think any of the teams would waste time having the cars light or a engine that isn't legal.Makes no sense to do so.
Posted By: PETE@BESTMACHINE

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/21/12 01:55 AM

There were many good runs this week, I was at Larry Morgans shop last week and his car from last year was the same as the last race of the 2011 season. He had his new car there also trying to get it sorted out, both were legal. I talked to him about the new dodge head and did not think anybody was using them yet.Its not so easy to make perfect runs in those cars, they are on the edge for sure. I have seen the Dodge and Ford engines at his shop they are not the same! The air was at 700 ft for the faster runs and thats hard to have during the season. From what I have heard most of the teams are sorting out there legal combos.

Attached picture 7028881-LarryMorgan006.jpg
Posted By: nhramark

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/22/12 05:53 PM

For WHATEVER reason, these wild pre season testing numbers never seem to translate into real et's during competition. And that goes for all the brands, just sayin..........
Posted By: Chad Bittle

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/22/12 06:44 PM

Quote:

There were many good runs this week, I was at Larry Morgans shop last week and his car from last year was the same as the last race of the 2011 season. He had his new car there also trying to get it sorted out, both were legal. I talked to him about the new dodge head and did not think anybody was using them yet.Its not so easy to make perfect runs in those cars, they are on the edge for sure. I have seen the Dodge and Ford engines at his shop they are not the same! The air was at 700 ft for the faster runs and thats hard to have during the season. From what I have heard most of the teams are sorting out there legal combos.

I think this will be a good year for Larry.
Posted By: daniel_depetro

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/22/12 06:50 PM

That's cooking!
I've always supported AJ / J&J Racing and he's been my favorite driver (favorite team) for the past years.
I'm not a bandwagon jumper and Allen doesn't seem to be either. He's been Mopar faithful and waving the Mopar flag when there was nobody else for many years. I've been a faithful fan of his for almost as many.
Hopefully this will be his year.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/22/12 06:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think this will be a good year for Larry.

And you should know Chad.
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/22/12 07:23 PM

Quote:

For WHATEVER reason, these wild pre season testing numbers never seem to translate into real et's during competition. And that goes for all the brands, just sayin..........

3 words explain that reason

NOT LEGAL WEIGHT
Posted By: QuickBpBp

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/22/12 07:45 PM

Quote:

I don't think any of the teams would waste time having the cars light or a engine that isn't legal.Makes no sense to do so.

It's always been done. No official scale,not enough fuel or weight for driver change etc...Years ago the Dodge cars had some brand X w/Pontiac heads testing the cars..When I questioned them they said they were just used in Chassis testing that they didn't want to run the motors they qualify and run with risking hurting them...Maybe AJ will see this and comment. The heads literally said PONTIAC on them...
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/22/12 07:49 PM

I agree! not legal weight , most likely a bigger motor than allowed,
ie remember the tear down , looking for big motors, didn't find them ,but they where around , or they wouldn't have been looking!
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/22/12 07:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think any of the teams would waste time having the cars light or a engine that isn't legal.Makes no sense to do so.

It's always been done. No official scale,not enough fuel or weight for driver change etc...Years ago the Dodge cars had some brand X w/Pontiac heads testing the cars..When I questioned them they said they were just used in Chassis testing that they didn't want to run the motors they qualify and run with risking hurting them...Maybe AJ will see this and comment. The heads literally said PONTIAC on them...

I remember asking AJ at St Louis back few years ago, he said that everyone was using a basically Pontiac heads.

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/22/12 08:08 PM

well they must all be weighing the same because they are with in a few .01s IT'S THE AIR

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/22/12 08:27 PM

Well I guess we will see when they come here in a few weeks. I believe we are the last test session before the season starts. My guess is the times will be a bit more representative of the performance we will see on track this year. And yes I realize air makes a difference, but we see this same scenario every year...They do run in some good air during the season as well.

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/22/12 08:31 PM

Quote:

Well I guess we wil see when tey come herein a few weeks. I believe we are the ast test session before the season starts. My guess is the times will be a bit more representative of the performance we will see on track this year. And yes I realize air makes a difference, but we see this same scenario every year...They do run in some good ar during the season as well.

are you in florida? a week or 2 will make a huge difference.do you really think they are going to spend that kind of money to go test something thats not legal? not very smart if they are.

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/22/12 08:32 PM

Vincent come tell these guys whats up

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/22/12 08:35 PM

How about I KNOW they often test with larger than 500" engines. It is less expensinve to use "mule" engines in testing when sorting out a new chassis than to risk hurting a good race motor. It is a VERY common practice.

BTW I do not have to live in Florida to understand the affect of DA on an engine. I race all over the west from sea level to a few thousand feet above sea level. I think I have a pretty firm grip on it's affects thank you.

But hey what do I know

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/22/12 08:41 PM

Quote:

How about I KNOW they often test with larger than 500" engines. It is less expensinve to use "mule" engines in testing when sorting out a new chassis than to risk hurting a good race motor. It is a VERY common practice.

BTW I do not have to live in Florida to understand the affect of DA on an engine. I race all over the west from sea level to a few thousand feet above sea level. I think I have a pretty firm grip on it's affects thank you.

But hey what do I know

I believe that, guess it depends on what they are testing. but being this close to racing they are probably testing a race set up.

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/22/12 11:49 PM

Mule engine
It would not make sense to spend that much $$$ and waste what may be there last test session and not be in legal Race trim.
Ya think NHRA is gonna let them run that mule engine this year
I guess NHRA letting John Force babble so much about his Mopar engine(they let me inside the ropes last year @ Atlanta early Friday morning to get a close look at John's F/C)that is based off the Mopar not ford engine. That I now think like him if AJ and the rest of the Mopar racers can get away with running a chevy mule or any other kind of mule and Win races and call it a Mopar,I'm all for it!
Not just John's crew but John himself are all great guys!! First off you the fan with a pit pass can not get inside the fence where the race cars are at a Nascar race,and if you could and ask to go behind the ropes for a closer look at their car they would have you shot.
Anyone can say what they want but you can not beat the Pro's that race at the NHRA & IHRA races. Even though they do ride mules!

Re: AJ's car goes 6.46! - 01/23/12 12:13 AM

First off I am not sayng anyone is running anything less than legal at all. I dont have any clue. But I know it happens especially in early testing. Buzz is not a bad thing. If you can make a pass and post up a huge number it gets people talking.

Just so you know this is NOT their last session. IN fact it is for many the FIRST mass test session for the new year. They will be in Phoenix next week and then here in Vegas in a couple of weeks before the have a race. In fact the session here is a week long starting on Feb 3.

BTW as for the test mule engines, it is pretty common practice. Build a slightly bigger not NHRA legal engine making similar power numbers to test the cars with. This is not anything new. I have spoken to afew folks in the industrywho sayit is a pretty common practice and actually saves money.

Maybe if you look at this ad it will help you

http://www.racingjunk.com/Drag-Racing/2355611/DRCE-Pro-Stock-Engines-Jim-Yates-Racing.html

Note what is said next to one of the engines...511" USED FOR TESTING

Not saying everyone there is doing this. BUt we see these HUGE numbers thrown down every year at this session. As the other sessions come around the numbers begin to fall more in line with the norm. But once again what do I know
© 2024 Moparts Forums