Moparts

Ladder bar bending the diagonal link,UPDATE

Posted By: Cab_Burge

Ladder bar bending the diagonal link,UPDATE - 01/19/12 09:27 PM

I was under my Dister last week and seen that the diagonal link is bending in the middle I do drive it on the street as well as race it several times a year, any suggestions on how to fix it? Or what to do different on the rear suspension to fix it? I fianally got around to taking a picture of the bent diagonal link, it is bent up in the middle and to the right side of the car. The picture amy not show that but that is what it looks lie to me I couldn't find this post so I started another one Please look at this picture and tell me what you think is going on I di add some more information to the other psot on how I adjsuted the diagonal link the last time I put it in, I had to replace it when the ladder bar mounts broke off of the 8 3/4 because of one of the hiem joints in the original link was frozen up and broke off when I treid to adjust it putting it back in the car I had a truck Dana 60 cut down locally and there is around a 1/2 inch toe in on the new set up I'm taking the rear end out now and taking it to Dutchmen in Portland to have that corrected, I'll check the link for straighteness and call 1/4 Max(all thier parts) and ask them the way they want the link installed and adjusted and how to set the ladder bars up in the car as far as straightness
Posted By: poppaj

Re: Ladder bar suspension bending the diagonal link - 01/19/12 09:49 PM

Make one out of chrome moly Cab, that will cure it. poppaj

Attached picture 7026804-IMG_1807.jpg
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Ladder bar suspension bending the diagonal link - 01/19/12 10:01 PM

what size i it? that is probably one of the reasons they tell you not to run one on a street car.
Posted By: Kindafast

Re: Ladder bar suspension bending the diagonal link - 01/19/12 10:22 PM

I run one on my street car and never had that problem. Are the joints on the diag free without any binds ? Are the joints on the bars worn ?
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Ladder bar suspension bending the diagonal link - 01/20/12 01:31 AM

...NO more 'doughnuts' in the intersections with the ricers...
Posted By: jcc

Re: Ladder bar suspension bending the diagonal link - 01/20/12 01:41 AM

Quote:

I was under my Dister last week and seen that the diagonal link is bending in the middle I do drive it on the street as well as race it several times a year, any suggestions on how to fix it? Or what to do different on the rear suspension to fix it?

So if its bending, its binding, or it is under severe compression, but that would be surprising as to why its not ever under tension and straightening the bend back out. Not the case of the mysterious bent front brake strut bar?

And CM would likely not resolve any of your issues enough to be a worthwhile change IMO.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Ladder bar suspension bending the diagonal link - 01/20/12 02:26 AM

if the diagonal is bending, do the brackets on the rear or the front crossmember show any signs of stress ?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Ladder bar suspension bending the diagonal link - 01/20/12 03:07 AM

I run 1 1/8 CM and put a gusset on the rear ladder
bar bracket(its too far out in space for any side loading)
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Ladder bar suspension bending the diagonal link - 01/20/12 06:01 AM

I made mine from 1" DOM - 1/4" thick wall because I heard of this happening.
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: Ladder bar suspension bending the diagonal link - 01/20/12 06:17 AM

steet cars need panhard bars.....if you make the daigonal link better then the ladder bar bracket is next, then the gusset, then........ I have built X braces for street cars.
Posted By: rebel

Re: Ladder bar suspension bending the diagonal link - 01/20/12 07:01 AM

can you post a pic?
Posted By: racerx

Re: Ladder bar suspension bending the diagonal link - 01/20/12 08:35 AM

Quote:

can you post a pic?

^^what he said^^

Re: Ladder bar suspension bending the diagonal link - 01/20/12 04:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

can you post a pic?

^^what he said^^

A pic of a panhard bar?
Posted By: sshemi

Re: Ladder bar suspension bending the diagonal link - 01/20/12 04:52 PM

Either its super weak or something is binding
Posted By: reknapp52

Re: Ladder bar suspension bending the diagonal link - 01/20/12 05:36 PM

You might try adding on to your diagonal and make it an"X".

Attached picture 7028142-LebaronatTexasLODRS.jpg

Re: Ladder bar suspension bending the diagonal link - 01/20/12 05:40 PM

Quote:

You might try adding on to your diagonal and make it an"X".

Correct
Posted By: racerx

Re: Ladder bar suspension bending the diagonal link - 01/20/12 07:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

can you post a pic?

^^what he said^^

A pic of a panhard bar?

No i was refereeing to the x brace.
Posted By: WheelsUp73

Re: Ladder bar suspension bending the diagonal link - 01/20/12 07:38 PM

Quote:

I run 1 1/8 CM and put a gusset on the rear ladder
bar bracket(its too far out in space for any side loading)

We went the same route as Mr. P after we bent our track locator. Solid as a rock now! The alston bar was only 7/8 diameter.

Re: Ladder bar bending the diagonal link. UPDATE - 02/13/12 05:38 AM

Here is a picture of the bent diagonal link, see my first post on top of this post for information update or the other new post I started earlier today on this problem 2nd attempt to attach picture

Attached picture 7068911-MVC-039S.JPG
Posted By: 9 Sec Phill

Re: Ladder bar bending the diagonal link. UPDATE - 02/13/12 05:49 AM

no pic.

Re: Ladder bar bending the diagonal link. UPDATE - 02/13/12 05:57 AM

3rd attempt to attach that picture

Attached picture 7068950-MVC-038S.JPG
Posted By: viperblue72

Re: Ladder bar bending the diagonal link. UPDATE - 02/13/12 10:07 AM

Could you have hit a pot hole or do you need some curb scrapers cab?
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: Ladder bar bending the diagonal link. UPDATE - 02/13/12 03:29 PM

Post hijack alert!!! Cab, What micron screen is in your pre-pump filter? Also, how much higher is your fuel pump than the sump? I'm just seening some potential fuel delivery issues and trying to be constructive, not pointing out any flaws.
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: Ladder bar bending the diagonal link. UPDATE - 02/13/12 04:22 PM

Cab...thats an iddy biddy diagonal you have there..

I know there isnt suppose to be that much side load unless you are taking corners pretty hard or something smacked it hard from above like bottoming out a suspension and having the driveshaft hit it..

I would install a beefier one like suggested....
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Ladder bar bending the diagonal link. UPDATE - 02/13/12 04:36 PM

Quote:

Cab...thats an iddy biddy diagonal you have there..

I know there isnt suppose to be that much side load unless you are taking corners pretty hard or something smacked it hard from above like bottoming out a suspension and having the driveshaft hit it..

I would install a beefier one like suggested....

The drive shaft sould be moving the same amount as
the dia link so it shouldnt hit... unless he took
the shocks off and let the diff hang way down...
thats a cornering or a hit that bent it (tooo wimpy)

Re: Ladder bar bending the diagonal link. UPDATE - 02/13/12 06:33 PM

Quote:

Post hijack alert!!! Cab, What micron screen is in your pre-pump filter? Also, how much higher is your fuel pump than the sump? I'm just seening some potential fuel delivery issues and trying to be constructive, not pointing out any flaws.

The pump entrance is lower than the sump outlet. That is a Aeromtive screen filter, 100 Microns if my memory is serving me correctly I did have a BG 500 filter on it before with there 10 micron paper element filter on it before and it did affect the pump That was my fault Once that was corrected I found that the motor needed .120 needles and seats to be able to jet the carbs. up enough the fatten the AFR enough to slow the car down in the 1/4 MPH It never ends
Posted By: mr_340

Re: Ladder bar bending the diagonal link. UPDATE - 02/14/12 07:12 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckling

Read up on compressive buckling and slenderness ratio (length to diameter). Think of a pushrod, they fail in the same manner. Go to a bigger diameter (increases the area moment of inertia, I). Changing to 4130 from mild steel won't help since the modulus of elasticity is about the same.
© 2024 Moparts Forums