Moparts

What clutch and flywheel do you recommend?

Posted By: MadMopars

What clutch and flywheel do you recommend? - 01/15/12 05:03 AM

I'm getting ready to order a clutch and flywheel for my Dart and am trying to decide what to go with. What flywheel and clutch setup are you guys using and what kind of ET's and 60' are you getting with them? This will be mostly for track use with limited street use.
Posted By: Rich970

Re: What clutch and flywheel are you using? - 01/15/12 12:54 PM

i have a long style adjustable p.p with a sintered iron disc . built by hyatt racing service
Posted By: mloboda

Re: What clutch and flywheel are you using? - 01/15/12 01:39 PM

Go to www.umtrnorth.com
It is a website dedicated to stick shift drag racing.
look under the "clutch tech" section of the forum on that website.
You'll find all the answers to your questions there.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: What clutch and flywheel are you using? - 01/15/12 03:38 PM

McLeod Soft Lok, 12# aluminum flywheel. 3430lb car, has gone 1.37 60'. Bought the clutch from McLeod but it has since been reworked by Tim Hyatt, and it's the best money spent since buying the clutch.

Attached picture 7019670-gtx3.JPG
Posted By: MadMopars

Re: What clutch and flywheel are you using? - 01/15/12 05:48 PM

Is it better to have the 143T flywheel or the 130T? Does the extra contact surface justify the additional weight? Along that line of thinking is it worth the money to step up to an Aluminum or Billet or should I just stick with an OEM flywheel? Does the reciprocating weight of the steel flywheel or larger diameter offer any benefits?
Posted By: oldiron

Re: What clutch and flywheel are you using? - 01/15/12 06:53 PM

McLeod/Hyatt soflok also w/best of 1.35 60' in the barracuda. Had a aluminum flywheel but kept warping the steel insert on the flywheel and on the pressure ring (aluminum pressure ring with steel facing riveted). I generally run 2 classes so lots of hot lapping and the steel facings would 'potato chip' so it was getting expensive to replace those. So went back to a steel flywheel with a steel pressure ring which saved money and the car was more reliable/predictable. The aluminum parts save weight but the difference is not that great. Also I figured I don't get paid to go faster by .01. I would get away from the OEM flywheel and get an SFI FW. You can get the steel fw lightened. W/r to size, some of that depends on the bellhousing. If you have a lakewood (which I think they don't make now that they bought quicktime) then you can use 143t fw and get a bigger clutch. If you are using a quicktime then you're stuck with the 130t and a 10" clutch. It works OK for me, but don't really like the quicktime except it is about 20lbs lighter than the lakewood.
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: What clutch and flywheel are you using? - 01/16/12 02:23 AM

Advanced Clutches. Talk to Rob Youngblood. Best clutch guy in the business.
Posted By: jcc

Re: What clutch and flywheel do you recommend? - 01/16/12 02:52 AM

How about the 9.5" multi plates with alum FW?
Posted By: joe teuton

Re: What clutch and flywheel do you recommend? - 01/16/12 04:22 AM

I use mccloud. Call scooter at southland speed he will make you a deal. He's a dealer. Tell him joe Teuton said to call.
© 2024 Moparts Forums