Moparts

PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX!

Posted By: Labratt

PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 12:38 AM

Here are a few pics of the X at the paint shop. The engine compartment was just primed and painted yesterday. It looks 100x better than before! LOTS of scraping..de-greasing..and hand sanding(by yours truly) but it was definately worth it!

Attached picture 6990876-GTXATBODYSHOP(TONY'S)015.jpg

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 12:40 AM

another angle!

Attached picture 6990877-GTXATBODYSHOP(TONY'S)023.jpg
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 12:41 AM

Sweet

Rickster

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 12:42 AM

another!

Attached picture 6990881-GTXATBODYSHOP(TONY'S)022.jpg

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 12:44 AM

And one BEFORE the manual labor!!!

Attached picture 6990885-GTXATBODYSHOP(TONY'S)004.jpg
Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 01:03 AM

NICE,,,,
is it the original green in color ?
Posted By: Uncle Barry

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 01:04 AM

love the green.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 01:12 AM

looking good!
Posted By: Dartin

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 01:18 AM

WOW!!! Randy, that's awesome! Now I'm going to be all nervous putting the motor back in! What's the e.t.a.?

Randy
Posted By: Clanton

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 01:22 AM

sorry to pick on you but you could not take the time to take the brake MC off?
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 01:47 AM

Quote:

Perplexing, isn't it? I hope there's no rust behind it.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 01:51 AM

looks nice!!

i need to do that same thing to my heap.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 02:16 AM

Quote:

looks nice!!

I cheated the fender wells are just laying
in there on this pic

Attached picture 6991058-DSC00091.JPG
Posted By: Dragula

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 02:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

looks nice!!

in there on this pic

Like to see you sand all those little diamonds out of that one.
Posted By: Kam*Kuda

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 03:46 AM

Big improvement Randy
Posted By: Mr340

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 03:59 AM

Looks Great Can't wait to see the rest of the Car

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 04:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

looks nice!!

in there on this pic

Like to see you sand all those little diamonds out of that one.

Naaa.... to lazy to try
Posted By: dvw

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 04:44 AM

Quote:

And one BEFORE the manual labor!!!

Looks great,nothing like a fresh engine bay.
I feel your pain. My buddy that does my paint will only let me do engine compartment,trunk,door jambs. My fingers are still sore from the summer.
Doug

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 06:19 AM

Thanks,everyone! Yeah,Doug...I've NEVER done body work before in my life! At least I'll have that feeling of knowing I contributed to the over-all job! At least the car will be painted the same color this time..not 2 different shades of green! The old,single stage paint, was hard to live with all these years!...just never could scrape up the money to do a "decent" job on it! I'm not expecting a "show quality" job by any means....but I know it will look MUCH BETTER than before!....SHOULD be a little faster,as well!
Posted By: 383man

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 06:47 AM

That looks real good Randy. Glad to see you stuck with the green. Ron
Posted By: John Burdine

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 06:50 AM

lookin good.
Posted By: Joshs68

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 07:03 AM

Color looks fantastic!
Posted By: bonefish

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 01:41 PM

''I GOT A BLISTER ON MY FINGER!!!''
Posted By: B_Body_Bob

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 01:49 PM

Quote:

The MC comes off easy but the plate behind it doesn't especially if the dash is in, and that plate isn't body color, it should be black. The column could've come out too ... and the next thing you know it's stripped down to a shell and you're standing there wondering what the heck happened to that simple job you started.

The bay looks great. From photos I'd seen I always thought the paint on the car was good, I guess photos lie, eh?
Posted By: Clanton

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 02:14 PM

i have to take my drivers seat out to be able to get the brake stuff off intead of working around the roll cage and seat.i did my engine bay when i 1st got my car in 1988 in laquer and it was my 1st and only paint experience.
Posted By: Todd

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 02:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The MC comes off easy but the plate behind it doesn't especially if the dash is in, and that plate isn't body color, it should be black. The column could've come out too ... and the next thing you know it's stripped down to a shell and you're standing there wondering what the heck happened to that simple job you started.

The master cylinder and the plate come off easy. My dad and I redid that area on his 65 plymouth and got the Plate powder coated and replaced all the white foam pieces around the column and painted the master and all the other small parts. Looks tons better. I'm glad you decided to stick with the green.
The bay looks great. From photos I'd seen I always thought the paint on the car was good, I guess photos lie, eh?

Attached picture 6991709-DSC00814(Large).JPG
Posted By: bobs66440

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 02:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The master cylinder and the plate come off easy. My dad and I redid that area on his 65 plymouth and got the Plate powder coated and replaced all the white foam pieces around the column and painted the master and all the other small parts. Looks tons better. I'm glad you decided to stick with the green.

I would have left them in for just for a repaint too. Looks great.
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 02:52 PM

I kinda wish I would have left mine in the car also, After all the paint work, I had ended up with a leaky brake line, and that took care of the paint on the drivers lower inner fender, and frame rail. When I repainted the car last time, I left all the brake parts in tact, I took the master cylinder off, and tapped it up and let it hang on the brake lines, Made sure I didnt kink any of them, and then shot it.

Sometimes a complete tear down gets overwhelming...

Nice looking job by the way.

Kasey

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 03:27 PM

Thank You ALL for the support! Yes...we could have stripped it down to a shell,but that was NEVER our intention! Tony's been doing cars in this state of disassembly for MANY years,and he does EXCELLENT work...at a VERY fair price! I did some of the trim disassembly...but he did the majority of it. For as picky as he was on the engine bay metal prep..and how well it came out,I'm sure the rest of the car is going to look REAL GOOD! And to answer your questions about pictures being deceiving....THEY SURE ARE! Maybe my good friends who have seen the X in person can chime in? Go ahead guys....you won't hurt my feelings!

Attached picture 6991779-GTX---NEWSTANCE---LOWERED002(Small).jpg

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 03:35 PM

Quote:

Thank You ALL for the support! Yes...we could have stripped it down to a shell,but that was NEVER our intention! Tony's been doing cars in this state of disassembly for MANY years,and he does EXCELLENT work...at a VERY fair price! I did some of the trim disassembly...but he did the majority of it. For as picky as he was on the engine bay metal prep..and how well it came out,I'm sure the rest of the car is going to look REAL GOOD! And to answer your questions about pictures being deceiving....THEY SURE ARE! Maybe my good friends who have seen the X in person can chime in? Go ahead guys....you won't hurt my feelings!

Yeah it had a couple of shades of green on it which
bugged him..... it'll look great when done
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 03:35 PM

looking good. what green did you go with?
Posted By: tboomer

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 03:48 PM

Looks great,Randy! My engine compartment was painted before the 512 went in...Just wish the rest of the car looked that nice!
Posted By: dvw

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 04:16 PM

Quote:

I kinda wish I would have left mine in the car also, After all the paint work, I had ended up with a leaky brake line, and that took care of the paint on the drivers lower inner fender, and frame rail. When I repainted the car last time, I left all the brake parts in tact, I took the master cylinder off, and tapped it up and let it hang on the brake lines, Made sure I didnt kink any of them, and then shot it.

Sometimes a complete tear down gets overwhelming...

Nice looking job by the way.

Kasey

I agree. My tear downs always end up with every nut and bolt removed. The next one I do will be done with the wheels still on. For what it's worth I would recommend silicone brake fluid. All the O.E. Chrysler master cylinders leak some fluid. Nothing worse than brand new paint peeled off by brake fluid. I use it in all my cars. You can replace the existing fluid by siphoning the old fluid out,then open the bleeders and let gravity do the rest. A small amount of old fluid hasn't had any effect on performance.
Doug
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 04:23 PM

Looks great.. I would love to see the car in person. I have always like your car...

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 04:25 PM

Lew...went with the original F-5 Limelight Green. This appears a tad darker than most other F-5'S I've seen in person,though. I REALLY like it!

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 04:29 PM

Thanks,Raff..Ted..Ron..and John! Doug,thanks for the info...I'll definately use the silicone fluid when I re-fill the system! It was drained before the body work was started.
Posted By: Get-X

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 04:59 PM

Well Randy, seeing that you're now well versed in GTX engine compartment restorations........

Looking great man, can't wait to see the finished product. In regards to how bad the old paint was, coming from my 20'er perspective your 10'er looked pretty good!

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 05:13 PM

No thanks,Marc!....I'll let You have ALL THE FUN! It will give you a great feeling of accomplishment!
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 05:28 PM

Lookin great...............
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 05:42 PM

Wow that looks fantastic Randy! It'll be like brand new! Very exited for ya
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 10:39 PM

Looking good Randy. Good to see you went with the original color. I'm not a purist, just like seeing other colors then black and red.

Jeff
Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 11:40 PM

I will order you some mirrors to put under it for the car show,,,,

going to be too nice to RACE.....

Posted By: lewtot184

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/30/11 11:49 PM

Quote:

Lew...went with the original F-5 Limelight Green. This appears a tad darker than most other F-5'S I've seen in person,though. I REALLY like it!

that'll be real nice when done, .
Posted By: firefighter3931

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/31/11 01:29 AM

The engine bay looks great buddy ! I'm sure the rest of the car will look outstanding

Have a Sleemans to celebrate !

Ron

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/31/11 01:33 AM

Thanks,Dom..Lew! Zippy!...if/when you decide to re-do the X,I have just the guy to do it! Jeff..I was VERY close to getting it painted a darker shade of RED...but,like you said....don't really see too many green GTX's out there! Doug...under-carriage resto will have to wait...hold the purchase on those mirrors for a while! Or...maybe you can purchase them and break them in for me!....got a good ceiling surface to attach them to?

Attached picture 6992709-GTXATBODYSHOP(TONY'S)006.jpg

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/31/11 01:46 AM

Thanks,good buddy! Raff and I celebrated yesterday at his shop..couple of Bradors..and a couple of Labatt Blue's! Still enjoying that excellent Canadian beer you so graciously donated to your Yankee pals! I had a hard time in the past with people getting close...and even LEANING on the car,at a car cruise!....don't know how I'm going to react with a fresh paint job??? Hope I can keep my cool!

Attached picture 6992726-GTXATPAINTSHOP.jpg
Posted By: EDDIEB

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/31/11 04:19 AM

Looks GOOD Randy,can't wait to see it when it's done,keep the pics coming.
EDDIE B

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/31/11 05:30 AM

Sure thing,Eddie!

Attached picture 6993209-GTXONTRAILER003.jpg
Posted By: Blown 68 R/T

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/31/11 03:54 PM

Lookin good Randy,
2012 will have a couple B-bodies with fresh paint hangin out. You'll be a little edgey after its painted but after the first chip or scratch you'll mellow out after.LOL

Ease up on those Bradors! We'll resupply ya again in the new year.
Posted By: deaks

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/31/11 05:28 PM

looking good Randy, one of the nicest cars on here and i'm sure, soon to be a 10 sec one.
Have a nice new year
Mick

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 12/31/11 07:05 PM

Thanks,Kevin....Mick! Yeah,Mick...10's SHOULD definately be attainable next season,with those "high-flowing" Eddy's from MCH! Kevin..I'll probably be as nervous as a h**ker attending Mass! Don't even want to think about ANY scratches! But,that would be living in a FANTASY WORLD!...gonna happen sooner or later!...hopefully MUCH later! Thanks again for your limitless generosity! The Canadian beer is AWESOME!!! Hope you have a GREAT NEW YEAR! Green will RULE in 2012!
Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 01/01/12 12:15 AM

Lookin' good!!

I'm sooooo glad you chose to go with the factory colour!

I just sprayed my lower motor compartment to my 69 RR, after 10 years of sitting. It was a blast! In more ways than you'd figure. I dig painting. The spring clamp on the m/c has little to zero pressure on the m/c lid. It lifted all the paint from there on down. Pulled the reinformencement plate as others mentioned. It's kind of a pain to get at the nuts from inside with the dash in there. Had to use a variety of extensions to get just the right length.

Now, the big task is finding all the pieces to the Mopar puzzle after emptying out my garage several times. Hoping to have her together this summer but 55 hr work weeks don't help. Got all the suspension pieces and K-member blasted and painted already, been on once to make it into a roller last summer. Can't seem to find that package of T-bar seals anywhere.

Post more pic's as you go.

Re: PROGRESS PICS ON THE GTX! - 01/02/12 02:58 AM

Thanks,Dean! Yeah..EVERYONE knows the GREEN GTX belongs to Lab Ratt! This F-5 appears a little darker than most F-5's I've ever seen...which is OK by me! I REALLY like it! Best of Luck with your RR project!

Attached picture 6996980-GTXATBODYSHOP(TONY'S)008.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums