Moparts

Aluminum Vs. Factory Radiator

Posted By: 10.90 Racer

Aluminum Vs. Factory Radiator - 12/28/11 12:31 AM

On an A body. How much weight savings have you seen going to an Aluminum rad??
Posted By: rebel

Re: Aluminum Vs. Factory Radiator - 12/28/11 12:41 AM

i changed from a 4 row rad to a ali 2 row of similar size. the difference in weight was huge but i didn't scale it. the difference in running temp was also significant too.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Aluminum Vs. Factory Radiator - 12/28/11 12:52 AM

I went from a six cyl factory rad to a howe 19x26 two core alum and it was 6 lbs lighter if I remember correctly. As stated it works alot better also.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Aluminum Vs. Factory Radiator - 12/28/11 06:16 AM

Would you Guys happen to know what the fluid volume difference (if any) would be?
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: Aluminum Vs. Factory Radiator - 12/28/11 08:11 AM

Quote:

Would you Guys happen to know what the fluid volume difference (if any) would be?

Yeah - to compare apples to apples you would have to compare the radiators full of coolant.
Posted By: rebel

Re: Aluminum Vs. Factory Radiator - 12/28/11 08:23 AM

Quote:

this i do know. they were the same. the 4 row i swapped away from had small cores & the ali has 2 large cores & the tanks were about equal. my rad swap was almost an exact copy, they were made to fit the same mount real easy.

Attached picture 6987972-25-07-09_22071.jpg
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Aluminum Vs. Factory Radiator - 12/28/11 02:15 PM

I replaced my factory 26" copper radiator w/ a big Griffin aluminum radiator. The radiator itself may have been lighter, but it holds a lot more water. I wanted to get the car to run cooler though, so I didn't care. It was some of the best money I spent as far as street driving.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Aluminum Vs. Factory Radiator - 12/28/11 02:20 PM

Ithink once it's filled there isn't much difference in weight. But a 2 core Aluminum will cool as well as a 4 core copper. The cores are much larger. I got mine off of e-bay for $190 w/ stock b-body mounts and trans line hook-ups. So far it runs nice and cool.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Aluminum Vs. Factory Radiator - 12/28/11 05:08 PM

My alum holds more water then my factory rad did so it is heavier over all. But worth it, I can drive my car in rush hour and not over heat.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Aluminum Vs. Factory Radiator - 12/28/11 05:21 PM

Given the same outside demensions, the 2 row aluminum and the 3 - 4 row brass are close in coolant capacity. The aluminum is more efficient and a lot lighter.
© 2024 Moparts Forums