Moparts

BB Oil line pics

Posted By: LA360

BB Oil line pics - 12/24/11 05:46 AM

Was hoping people could share how they plumbed their single and dual line external pick ups for their oil systems? Particularly interested in those running a World Block.

Thanks in advance, and Happy Holidays!
Posted By: Deepockets

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/24/11 03:06 PM

here's mine, pretty simple with single line.

Posted By: firefighter3931

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/24/11 06:09 PM

Dual line swinging PU & Charlies race pan. Stock k-frame, stock mounts and power steering....street/strip car.

Ron

Attached picture 6982558-572-10.jpg
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/24/11 06:13 PM

Pic of my old Hemi. On the B1 I run a Wescott oil pump with a single swinging -16 line.

Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/24/11 06:18 PM

As has been stated,,,pretty simple..

Attached picture 6982572-freddy'stoy005.jpg
Posted By: 68 HEMI GTS

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/24/11 06:33 PM

Posted By: astjp2

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/24/11 07:26 PM

How does your lower radiator hose fit with the oil line right there? Tim

Quote:

Posted By: RBDuster

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/24/11 07:49 PM

pretty simple

Attached picture 6982718-520003.jpg

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/25/11 04:10 AM

Quote:

How does your lower radiator hose fit with the oil line right there? Tim

isn't a issue, there is a rubber hose that will work also. not sure of the part number.

Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/25/11 05:27 AM

Mine, single line with swinging pick up and remote oil filter.

Brian Dunnigan

Attached picture 6983430-100_2975.JPG
Posted By: rebel

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/25/11 05:31 AM

modified Milodon pump cover. pump doesn't loose prime when there's oil trapped in the supply hose from the pan.

Attached picture 6983434-30-07-10_13321.jpg
Posted By: MRMOPAR

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/25/11 06:00 AM

Titan Oil Pump, AN-20 feed!!

Attached picture 6983465-Copyoftitanpump.jpg

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/26/11 05:13 AM

I thought that the lines should go higher than the pump so it wont ever lose prime. Is it myth or fact?

Are their any pics with the K-member mocked up with a steering box and Headers?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/26/11 08:04 PM

Quote:

I thought that the lines should go higher than the pump so it wont ever lose prime. Is it myth or fact?

Are their any pics with the K-member mocked up with a steering box and Headers?

Myth on the line hiegths, IMO.I 've had systems loose prime and fixed them without raising the lines They need to be airtight on the inlet side Here is one picture of one of my motors with low lines, it holds the prime

Attached picture 6985327-MVC-004S.JPG

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/26/11 08:06 PM

Myth on the line hiegths, IMO.I 've had systems loose prime and fixed them without raising the lines They need to be airtight on the inlet side Here is one picture of one of my motors with low lines, it holds the prime

2nd system wih low inlet lines

Attached picture 6985331-MVC-005S.JPG

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/27/11 12:17 AM

myth, mine never has a problem with priming either.
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/27/11 12:32 AM

Quote:

myth, mine never has a problem with priming either.

Well I did have priming problems, re routed lines, replaced o-rings finally gave up and bought a Titan pump. Priming problem solved..
Posted By: Stanton

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/27/11 12:39 AM

Needing a guard on a table saw is a myth too, as is wearing safety goggles when grinding! Having used neither for years I'd say I'd say I'm just lucky. For the sake of a couple extra feet of line, is it worth the risk?
Posted By: rebel

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/27/11 01:40 AM

when parked for a couple of weeks, my engine would loose prime every time. would wind the engine over for 20+ sec's before the guage would show signs of movement. after increasing the line so it keep a supply of oil at the pump intake you could see the guage move instantly. the only down side of this was oil would drip off the back of the head when you were checking rocker clearences.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/27/11 02:10 AM

Quote:

the only down side of this was oil would drip off the back of the head when you were checking rocker clearences.

I always jack up the back of the car when I check valve lash to prevent this.

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/27/11 02:33 AM

Quote:

Needing a guard on a table saw is a myth too, as is wearing safety goggles when grinding! Having used neither for years I'd say I'd say I'm just lucky. For the sake of a couple extra feet of line, is it worth the risk?

i've checked the bearings in my Hemi twice in the last 4 years, and have put them back in every time. doesn't look like it runs dry to me. so yea, in my case myth..

Posted By: Ari440

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/27/11 03:00 AM

Posted By: JCCuda

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/27/11 05:34 PM

This is an engine I put together around 1985 it had a Milidon system. I never had an issue with losing oil pressure on startup. The engine was a turd and broke a 6 pack rod after about 120 passes but the bearings still looked good when it came apart.

Attached picture 6986608-02-09-2009Cuda440solidcam.jpg
Posted By: jamesc

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/28/11 06:08 AM

seems a lot of people have had problems losing prime so i can't say it's a myth but it's a problem i've never encountered. this is a home brew pump cover, i never cared for the milodon.

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/28/11 06:53 AM

I take it with the dual pick ups, most people are using a swinging pick up?

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/28/11 07:04 AM

Quote:

I take it with the dual pick ups, most people are using a swinging pick up?

yes, there are static pick ups available but i would steer clear of them. though i never personally used one a reputable engine builder had told me they were damaging bearings in the shutdown with a static pick up, a swinging pick up solved the problem. i guess pan design has a lot to do with it as well.

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/28/11 07:12 AM

Personally, on anything that would be considered a race engine i'd run a properly baffled and trap doored pan. It amazes me as to how many engines I see where oil control isn't emphasized, where more capacity and a windage tray tends to be all that is used. Most of the BB pans I have come across don't have all the bells and whistles, I have often wondered why.

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/28/11 07:22 AM

i use the milodon pans which have trap doors, windage tray and swinging pick up. i've never experienced any oil pressure problems.
Posted By: mosweethemi

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/28/11 08:26 AM

Hey Here is a picture of my 496 with a Charlies race pan
Posted By: 65dragnet

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/28/11 04:54 PM

Here is mine:

Attached picture 6988259-DSC02471.JPG

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/28/11 05:34 PM

Ok what is your pump cover? Who made it? Can you get another?

Quote:

seems a lot of people have had problems losing prime so i can't say it's a myth but it's a problem i've never encountered. this is a home brew pump cover, i never cared for the milodon.

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/28/11 06:05 PM

it's a modified stock cover, i got the idea from a very old mopar performance tip publication. if you look at the fluid flow of the pump you'll see that the cavity where any oil released from the relief valve spills back into the suction. if you're careful you can drill into this cavity and use that for your second pickup. the performance tip said to use 1" but i used a piece of 3/4" 4130 and brazed it into the cover. on the end of that i silver soldered a steel AN fitting that can be obtained from a hydraulics supplier. it does require some careful whittling to do it but imho it works out better than most of what is out there. i was never really fond of aluminum oil pumps and really don't care for an aluminum cover at all. muscle motors was/is making a cover that will help most guys but i don't know if they're still available. there was another machine shop making a really trick cover but afaik they ceased production which is a shame cause it was a slick setup.

Re: BB Oil line pics - 12/28/11 08:17 PM

Your cover lokks exactly what I remember seeing on a old Petty Engr. prepared NASCAR motor I had the opportunity to work on Can you say I had the opportunity to do some reverse Engr. after that
© 2024 Moparts Forums