Moparts

NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99

Posted By: WadeMetzinger

NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/21/11 08:05 PM

I'm hearing that all NHRA tracks will be enforcing the rule that any car running 10.99 or faster must have a diaper? It was in the 2011 rule book that it will be enforced starting 2012.

I figured they would enforce it at NHRA Divisional and National events but not at the local track events but I'm hearing they will be enforcing it at all events.

It's supposedly tied to insurance, if someone wrecks and the track submits the costs to the insurance company but they didn't have a diaper, they won't cover any of the costs and I guess they could loose their insurace coverage...

It would be hard to swallow for 9.99 and faster but 10.99 and faster is going to be very hard to swallow. When the sport is fighting to keep car counts up, I think this will cause some to give up the sport and a lot of others to travel to non-NHRA tracks.

I think you can get a diaper for $150 - $200 but that's the easy part, I can't imagine putting one on a big block A-Body... trying to keep it off the headers, dealing with the drag link...

For my wife's car, I'll just slow it down to run 11.teens or so and since I don't have stock K-member it won't be that big of a deal for me but I expect this to be a big deal for a lot of racers this year.

What are you guys hearing?
Posted By: fury62

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/21/11 08:21 PM

one of our race track's stated, 9.99 or quicker in 2012. you must have an engine diaper.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/21/11 08:44 PM

S/ST 10.90 cars must have a diaper this year,so expect the tracks to make any car running 10.90 or quicker to have a diaper.
Posted By: moparacer

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/21/11 08:50 PM

Quote:

I think you can get a diaper for $150 - $200 but that's the easy part, I can't imagine putting one on a big block A-Body... trying to keep it off the headers, dealing with the drag link...

Well I am about to find out whatr its like in a 68 Dart with stock suspension and a big block....

Only thing I have going for me is fenderwell headers....
Posted By: BradH

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/21/11 09:18 PM

I certainly hope not... or that's going to severely restrict the # of tracks I'm going to bother to drive the MoPig to.

Gimme an I!
Gimme an H!
Gimme an R!
Gimme an A!

Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/21/11 09:38 PM

If this ends up the rule it will make my next engine alot cheaper!
Posted By: challenger1320

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/21/11 09:49 PM

All you guy pi$$ on moan about a diaper but when you toss a rod at the 1000' mark and drive thru your on oil, hit the wall or worse yet the guy in the other lane that 150.00 dollar diaper and the effort to install it will seem cheap. I think anything with slicks should have to have a diaper.
Posted By: orangedustya

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/21/11 10:36 PM

So you are saying its slicks that causes a car to drop a rod. The 13.50 car with slicks should have a blanket but the 13.50 car on street tires doesn't need one. Hmmm-interesting.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/21/11 10:53 PM

i know safety should be first, but how often are rods dropped. what about a flat at 1000'? u going to run runflat tires? seeya.
Posted By: challenger1320

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/21/11 10:54 PM

What I am saying is if it is a race car but a diaper on it.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/21/11 11:02 PM

If this is the case, anybody want to buy a iron headed 448 incher?

I have a 225/6 I can just build. Sure would be less hassle
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/21/11 11:11 PM

per 2012 rule book for Super Street.

OIL-RETENTION DEVICE
All vehicles must utilize an NHRA-accepted lower engine oil-
retention device; may use a belly pan in lieu of a device attached to
the engine. If belly pan is used, must extend from framerail to
framerail and extend forward of the harmonic balancer and
rearward to rear-engine plate and must incorporate a minimum 2-
inch-high lip on all sides. A nonflammable, oil-absorbent liner
mandatory inside of retention device. See General Regulations 1:8.

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/21/11 11:13 PM

per 2012 rule book for super pro/ pro/ sportsman

OIL-RETENTION DEVICE
All vehicles permitted to utilize an NHRA-accepted lower engine oil-
retention device. See General Regulations 1:8.

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/21/11 11:14 PM

General Regulation 1.8

1:8 LOWER ENGINE CONTAINMENT DEVICE
In classes where specified, must utilize an NHRA-accepted lower
engine oil-retention device. SFI Spec 7.1 or 7.2 Lower Engine
Containment Device permitted. A properly fitting lower engine
ballistic/restraint device mandatory. The NHRA Technical staff can
accept or reject any device. Any device that fails to perform as
required must be replaced or repaired to the satisfaction of the
Technical staff prior to any further runs. When used, an SFI Spec
7.1 or 7.2 Lower Engine Containment Device must cover the sides
of the block and pan up to within one inch of the head mating
surface and extend to within 1 1/2 inches of the front and rear of the
cylinder case area. SFI Spec 7.1 devices must be
updated/recertified by the original manufacturer at one-year
intervals. In classes where specified, a belly pan may be used in
lieu of a device attached to the engine. The belly pan must extend
from framerail to framerail and extend forward of the harmonic
balancer and to the rear of the engine block and must incorporate a
minimum 2-inch-high lip on all sides unless specified in Class
Requirements. Minimum number of slots or holes in the walls to
clear frame, steering, or lines permitted. A nonflammable, oil-
absorbent liner mandatory inside of retention device.

Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/21/11 11:30 PM

From the 2012 NHRA rulebook (Available for download online at NHRA.com in the member section)

OIL-RETENTION DEVICE
All vehicles running 7.49 or quicker must utilize an NHRA-accepted lower engine oil-retention device; may use a belly pan in lieu of a device attached to the engine. The belly pan must extend from framerail to framerail and extend forward of the harmonic balancer and rearward to rear engine plate and must incorporate a minimum 2-inch-high lip on all sides. A nonflammable, oil-absorbent liner mandatory inside of retention device. See General Regulations 1:8.

General Regulations Section 20, page 8
1:8 LOWER ENGINE CONTAINMENT DEVICE
{read this carefully}In classes where specified, must utilize an NHRA-accepted lower engine oil-retention device. SFI Spec 7.1 or 7.2 Lower Engine Containment Device permitted. A properly fitting lower engine ballistic/restraint device mandatory. The NHRA Technical staff can accept or reject any device. Any device that fails to perform as required must be replaced or repaired to the satisfaction of the Technical staff prior to any further runs. When used, an SFI Spec 7.1 or 7.2 Lower Engine Containment Device must cover the sides of the block and pan up to within one inch of the head mating surface and extend to within 1 1/2 inches of the front and rear of the cylinder case area. SFI Spec 7.1 devices must be updated/recertified by the original manufacturer at one-year intervals. In classes where specified, a belly pan may be used in lieu of a device attached to the engine. The belly pan must extend from framerail to framerail and extend forward of the harmonic balancer and to the rear of the engine block and must incorporate a minimum 2-inch-high lip on all sides unless specified in Class Requirements. Minimum number of slots or holes in the walls to clear frame, steering, or lines permitted. A nonflammable, oil absorbent liner mandatory inside of retention device.

So a quick review of the book I found the following

Top Sportsman - required
Top Dragster - required
Super street - required
Super gas - required
Super comp - required
Comp - required

Super Pro, Pro, Sportsman - permitted - see gen. reg. 1.8

NOW for the fun part - Individual tracks can impose there own extra requirements for the season AND/OR special events. So if you you have a turbo car, NOS car, or small tire/overpowered car, I would recommend you look into a diaper for safety and to insure you meet possible rules.

It also looks like, unless your local track adds additional rules, as long as your not running division or national events you can run down to 7.50 without a diaper (not necessarily smart, but permitted).

LOL (Guess I was too slow)
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/21/11 11:55 PM

The diaper is one of the NHRA safety rules I do agree with.

Lots of slower cars oiling down the tracks nowadays, ruining it for others.

Chris..
Posted By: Super Scamp

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 12:20 AM

Quote:

The diaper is one of the NHRA safety rules I do agree with.

I agree with the diaper rule completely I have 71 A body with BB 2" fenderwell headers. I run 9.0's at 150. My DRE 150.00 dollar diaper is not SFI approved but it does the job. Yes the headers did do a # on the top of the diaper, but I can get another year of racing out of it..

If the NHRA techs want me to upgrade to a SFI unit I will just pull it out of the trailer and install it in 20 min. It's not that hard to do.

Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 12:24 AM

i would be interested in seeing pics if anyone has them on their car now
Posted By: cgall

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 12:29 AM

The only addition for next year will be S/ST. Many of the backhalfed cars that ran the class will be gone, reducing an already depleted car count.

Edgewater requires diapers for bracket cars faster than 6.40, Indy requires them for the Rage events.
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 12:36 AM

Me too, as I'm running stock front end and going to a new wedge this year. I have the drag link throught the pan, how the heck does that work. Is it a special order type and does that mean lots of Anyone have pics of one on an A-body I would like to see. Thanks

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 12:54 AM

The only other thing I can suggest is to buy a cheapo diaper and make it fit. I know of one racer that sliced and diced one and it is half back together with velcro holding it up. Tech guy looks from above and sees diaper straps and says OK. Rulebook doesn't say anything about modifying them, or requiring that they work.
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 12:57 AM

contact D R E they can even help with custom stuff on diapers,
as for me I will have one , It's one of those rules they shouldn't have to have , but with the speeds getting ever faster, and the use of sythetic oils, we as racers should have been doing this on our own and not have to have it pushed on us! Maybe some of these crashed drag cars and injured racers, never would have happened?
just a thought
Posted By: 604 Hemi GTX

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 01:37 AM

This rule i can agree with, i was planning on putting one on my bracket car.
Kevin
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 02:03 AM

Quote:

GREG,,,,???..!!!..it looks like a business opportunity to me!!!
Build DIAPERS,,,I'm sure you have a backload inventory of gaskets..get to work,,,expand your business,,make diapers for all of us!! I will let you use my car for a pattern...just come on down..
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 02:15 AM

Quote:

Kevin

Weather I agree or dis-agree I'm getting REALLY FEED UP
with that useless bunch of money grabbing A$$ holes
telling me what I have to do all the time with my
money... thank GOD I dont need a SFI one where it
needs to be re-certed every year... I guess I wont
attend any NHRA events
FLAME ON guys... I dont care
Posted By: mcat4321

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 02:38 AM

this topic cracks me up.. in the grand scheme of things with all the other money tied up in your cars, whats another $200 for your protection and the protection of other?...and the time it will save in clean ups. plus synthetic oil is a [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] to clean up...its like bitching about having to buy a helmit, why should anyone else care if you bash your skull while crashing? its for the greater good.. heres some help.
Ram Jet Racing will be offering custom and universal engine diapers at a discounted price. These are top quality NHRA approved engine diapers.You can contact Adam at S&M MOTORSPORTS (513-236-2355) to place your orders.
Universal diaper-140.00
Custom diaper- 200.00
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 02:41 AM

I'm just going to build a bellypan out of left over stuff I have here.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 02:50 AM

On one hand, there's no such thing as "too many" safety devices....within reason for the car's ET/Speed.

I haven't seen too many oil downs at the bracket level around here in the last couple of years.

That said, the rule making them required for S/ST (an entry level class, by the way...hahahaha) makes S/ST for us a NO GO for this year. If/when they require one for a 10-sec bracket car, we will slow it down to the low-11's...or put it back on the street. That means we're NOT spending $2000 on a Dana, $2500 on a t-brake 727/converter which is money NOT being spent with those vendors. So in our case, everyone loses.

Reason it's deal breaker for us is...NO WAY am I getting a diaper on the Duster with a drag link through the pan and 1 7/8" Hookers that nearly touch the pan in 2 places are in the way of everything.

Therefore, a tube k-member, motor plate, R&P steering and coil overs, new headers and oil pan would be required. At $5000-$6000-PLUS THAT aint happening. OR, MAYBE we could make it work with a motor plate, new oil pan and custom fenderwell headers. That alone is a $1500-$2000 fix. Screw that.

NHRA is doing all they can to reduce car counts even further. This might have been a better idea when there is some economic stability in this country and people are back to work.

Of course to complete my RANT, if it were up to me, S/ST would be limted to 130-or less MPH, with NO electronics, OEM front end and OEM rear frame rails and limited to a max 10.5" wide tire. You know, ENTRY LEVEL. The class has really become Stupid STreet allowing tube frame 150+ mph cars.

Thanks for listening, I'm done!

Merry Christmas!
Posted By: mcat4321

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 02:53 AM

Quote:

On one hand, there's no such thing as "too many" safety devices....within reason for the car's ET/Speed.

I haven't seen too many oil downs at the bracket level around here in the last couple of years.

That said, the rule making them required for S/ST (an entry level class, by the way...hahahaha) makes S/ST for us a NO GO for this year. If/when they require one for a 10-sec bracket car, we will slow it down to the low-11's...or put it back on the street. That means we're NOT spending $2000 on a Dana, $2500 on a t-brake 727/converter which is money NOT being spent with those vendors. So in our case, everyone loses.

Reason it's deal breaker for us is...NO WAY am I getting a diaper on the Duster with a drag link through the pan and 1 7/8" Hookers that nearly touch the pan in 2 places are in the way of everything.

Therefore, a tube k-member, motor plate, R&P steering and coil overs, new headers and oil pan would be required. At $5000-$6000-PLUS THAT aint happening. OR, MAYBE we could make it work with a motor plate, new oil pan and custom fenderwell headers. That alone is a $1500-$2000 fix. Screw that.

NHRA is doing all they can to reduce car counts even further. This might have been a better idea when there is some economic stability in this country and people are back to work.

Of course to complete my RANT, if it were up to me, S/ST would be limted to 130-or less MPH, with NO electronics, OEM front end and OEM rear frame rails and limited to a max 10.5" wide tire. You know, ENTRY LEVEL. The class has really become Stupid STreet allowing tube frame 150+ mph cars.

Merry Christmas!

just build a belly pan.... problem solved

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 03:07 AM

Belly pan?

The belly pan must extend
from framerail to framerail and extend forward of the harmonic
balancer and to the rear of the engine block and must incorporate a
minimum 2-inch-high lip on all sides unless specified in Class
Requirements. Minimum number of slots or holes in the walls to
clear frame, steering, or lines permitted. A nonflammable, oil-
absorbent liner mandatory inside of retention device.

Funny you say that. I was under the car for 2 hours with cardboard and scissors when I heard about it last year. NO GO with an OEM k-member!
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 03:20 AM

I'm sure all these people that are too lazy to drain their antifreeze before they go to the track will be all over installing diapers.
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 03:36 AM

well it looks like getting ride of my ride may have been a good thing NHRA is getting worst by the day.
I have been looking at a bike to get back to going fast on the cheap and it keeps looking better and better.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 03:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Kevin

attend any NHRA events

I her ya Mike and agree.............when they ask me how fast my car goes I`m gonna tell em it went 11.20`s last time out and that I just freshoned it up and am hopeing for 11.00 flat.
Posted By: pattyboy 572

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 03:40 AM

summit diaper 139.00 jegs 80.00 with shipping on sale prices r in racer program pricing!!!!!!not sfi approved nhra only
Posted By: bonefish

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 04:50 AM

whats gunna happen first time someone throws a rod through a diaper and oils down the trak,KEVLAR?
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 05:31 AM

If you go on yellow Bullet and search you find some good threads on the belly pans. AND you be surprised the NHRA seems to accept a lot less than you read in the rule book about a belly pan. Also on here if you look in the Silverfish progress/chassis build thread there is a pic of a pretty nice belly pan, also Bigtime bob has one on his car. Hey look this really is a Pain but if you kick a rod or whatever, you prob be very happy you or the guy in the other lane had one.
Posted By: 383man

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 09:43 AM

I was hoping for a street car like my 63 I dont have to use one. I mean I only race a few times a year mostly at T & T's as I enjoy running the car every now and then. But I drive it on the street 99% of the time so I hope they dont make me put one on now that I have hit the high 10's. I will do what I have to so I can still race it a few times a year but I wont put one on my 63 unless I have too. Ron

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 02:27 PM

Why is everyone making this out to be a big deal?
#1 saves down time
#2 save your car
#3 save your guys car next to you
#4 some tracks have been awarding you if you run one anyways
#5 it is a smart thing to have, like it or not.
Posted By: julian2007

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 03:02 PM

I know they are a pain in the butt,but the gain in safety out weighs the pain in the but factor.A good friend of mine broke a rod going threw the traps put two holes in the block you could put your fist threw at 150mph.No oil on the track and didn't wreck,saved a two hour cleanup,his car and maybe his life.Its a great Idea guys think about how many times you sat waiting on a clean up I bet you could cut that time by 75% or maybe a containment tray
Posted By: tboomer

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 03:15 PM

Even if it is an option for a slow pooch like mine...It isn't that bad of an idea. I can live with it. I have seen mid 11 second cars puke thier guts out on the track. So yeah...I will go ahead and get one..
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 03:27 PM

This is why I love outlaw tracks.
Posted By: rt66jim

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 05:25 PM

Quote:

This is why I love outlaw tracks.

Me too Chip. Jim
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 05:41 PM

I don't mind running on its just I don't know how the heck I'm going to with the stock front end and the drg link going through the pan... Should be fun
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 05:54 PM

Quote:

You know, ENTRY LEVEL. The class has really become Stupid STreet allowing tube frame 150+ mph cars.

Merry Christmas!

I cant help but feel the bullseye on my back. Ouch...All I can ad is the rules are what they are and if anyone wants to play thier game it has to be by thier rules.

As for the diapers anyone can make one work IF YOU REALLY WANT TO....We had the same issue with the Hemi and have it with the 99 hemi in the other car. They can make a diaper with heat resistant material added to those areas. But you have to WANT to do it. is it $150 bucks, nope but if you want something bad enough you will find a way to make it work...

Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 05:54 PM

meh, i ain't real tore up about this one. i'll put a diaper on if i got to. the locking dipstick debacle- THAT chapped my heart. oh man. preposterous.
Posted By: Dartsport540

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 06:08 PM

I have been running a DRE diaper on mine for the last 3 years. Mine is a chassis car, very easy to go on.
Posted By: 71cuda

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 07:01 PM

the thing i don't like is the 9.90 cars are not the problem at our track.almost all the engine falures come from from the guys with junk cars that come to the track just to test and tune or get that fast et ticket.
the weekly racers that do proper mantenance are not the problem.

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 07:07 PM

Quote:

the thing i don't like is the 9.90 cars are not the problem at our track.almost all the engine falures come from from the guys with junk cars that come to the track just to test and tune or get that fast et ticket.

what REALLY gets me are the guys (and gals) who know (or strongly suspect) that their junk is gonna blow. a couple years ago there was a racer at our track who KNEW ( they were overheard saying "i think i can get one more run out of it") it was gonna blow. well, she kicks a rod out at about the 60', AND COASTS THE LENGTH OF THE TRACK, RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE. they don't race at our track anymore. can you say "lynch mob"?
Posted By: 71cuda

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 07:13 PM

we have a guy that brings a blown altered,everytime it breaks and oils the track.
we now have a test and tune class.$500.doller deposit,you get it back at the end of the day.it has cut down on the problem.
our bracket racers get one oil down a season after that it's $150.

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 07:41 PM

71cuda, that is a very reasonable solution. Which leads me to ask, is NHRA concerned more about safety, or is the conspiracy theory that they are receiving massive kickbacks from safety equipment companies true? I know of no outbreaks of oildowns in S/ST, do they have data to show that this class is responsible for a lot of downtime?

While I have no problem with Al or Chris running fast cars in S/ST, this rule is going to eliminate all but chassis and aftermarket front-end cars from the class. Which then leads one to wonder how it is any different from S/G and how long will it survive.
Posted By: jake4cars

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/22/11 11:14 PM

Quote:

Kevin

Anyone remember Terry wrecking his beautiful aluminum 64 Plymouth at Norwalk a couple of years ago, maybe could have been prevented if the car that ran before him had one. The belts rule has always ticked me off to no end but this rule isn't so bad........... of course, I don't own a big block A-body with underchassis headers either,lol!

Joey

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/23/11 12:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You know, ENTRY LEVEL. The class has really become Stupid STreet allowing tube frame 150+ mph cars.

Merry Christmas!

I cant help but feel the bullseye on my back. Ouch...All I can ad is the rules are what they are and if anyone wants to play thier game it has to be by thier rules.

As for the diapers anyone can make one work IF YOU REALLY WANT TO....We had the same issue with the Hemi and have it with the 99 hemi in the other car. They can make a diaper with heat resistant material added to those areas. But you have to WANT to do it. is it $150 bucks, nope but if you want something bad enough you will find a way to make it work...

Holy crap Al...didn't mean YOU per say. You're just playing by the rules that NHRA has set forth...I get that. I blame NHRA for having their collective, overpaid heads up their...
Posted By: Troublemaker427

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/23/11 01:15 AM

X2
Very few N/A 9 second cars oil the track. I also notice that most people who critisize those of us who complain about diapers seem to have combinations that are easy to install a diaper on.

Anyone watch the Street Machine race from Vegas last month. Pro Mod after Pro Mod oiled the track. They were required to have diapers...

Put them on power adder equipped cars if you wish but N/A cars aren't the problem!

I've also talked to a track owner who does not want the diaper rule. He said it's being rammed down his throat by the Div. 1 office.

IHRA is looking better every year!!

Quote:

Posted By: slippery440

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/23/11 01:51 AM

Not a problem here I run at IHRA tracks.The nhra tracks that decide to adhere to the diaper ruler will be turning a bunch of street cars away every weekend.Its nothing to have a 10.90 turbo or nitrous street car.Can you imagine what a new car delership would say if they found a engine diaper on a new challenger?
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/23/11 02:04 AM

Quote:

I certainly hope not... or that's going to severely restrict the # of tracks I'm going to bother to drive the MoPig to.

Gimme an I!
Gimme an H!
Gimme an R!
Gimme an A!

I stopped going to NHRA tracks several years ago. And this confirms I made the right decision. The problem isn't the normally aspirated 9 and 10 second cars that run every week. Put the rule where it is needed, not on the cars it isn't needed.

I went to a "test and tune" and the non-regular racers break all the time, causing delays. Import vs Domestic "World Race" and tons of over boosted (N20, turbo, etc) ricers wrecked and blew up so often there was more down time than race time.
Posted By: Eric

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/23/11 02:19 AM

I have a diaper...to lazy to put it in this year...

Result=

Attached picture 6979945-oops.jpg
Posted By: old_racer

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/23/11 04:05 AM

Hi,
does anyone have a picture of one mounted on a non chassis , regular car, where do they mount to?
just go around the oil pan? never seen one.
thanks
Russ
Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/23/11 07:31 AM

I love threads like this that bring "street car" guys and "local only" racers out to complain about NHRA. NO WHERE in the rules does it say you need a diaper unless your running an NHRA "class" or you are faster than 7.50.

NHRA "class" races are run at National and Divisional races.

The national and divisional races tend to have far more entries than most special events and local races. Therefore precautions are taken to try and keep the program running with minimum down-time.

So unless your local track or special event decide to add a diaper rule on their own, you only need to worry about it olny if you plan to run a "super" class "top" class, or "Pro" class (nitro burning, not "no-box" type pro class).

The SFI diapers are only need in the "Pro" classes, so for 90% of the fast racers, any blanket or pan will be sufficient.

As an NHRA divisional tech, I have seen the blankets and pans work well, containing a large percentage of potentially dangerous situations. NOTHING will prevent all possible incidents. I know I will have something (pan or diaper) on my next street/strip project whether it is fast enough or not.

Also, if you think the guys working the races are making "a fortune" because they have an NHRA shirt, think again, as I/they effectively volunteer their time and knowledge to help run the divisional and national races to help ensure WE have a place/venue to run at.

Scott

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/23/11 12:53 PM

We got a $250.00 bill from NHRA for oiling down the track at the National event @ Firebird Raceway, Phoenix running S/ST 2008..

Oil retention can save you $$$$ too..

Carry On..

Chris..
Posted By: Dartsport540

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/23/11 12:57 PM

Quote:

Hi,
does anyone have a picture of one mounted on a non chassis , regular car, where do they mount to?
just go around the oil pan? never seen one.
thanks
Russ

My picture is on my chassis car, but you can see how it mounts. There are 4 brackets that attach to my header bolts, and then a strap at each corner of the diaper goes through each bracket. Here is a pic of an attachment point.

Attached picture 6980439-tn_142_4244.JPG
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/23/11 01:03 PM

I have encountered other racers oil on the track at 150+ speeds and I don't like it one bit

If it's a race car PUT A DIAPER ON IT....

Rickster
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/23/11 03:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

GREG,,,,???..!!!..it looks like a business opportunity to me!!!
Build DIAPERS,,,I'm sure you have a backload inventory of gaskets..get to work,,,expand your business,,make diapers for all of us!! I will let you use my car for a pattern...just come on down..

Fred I'd rather sell gaskets & seals to keep oil off the track
I may take you up on your offer to visit and have a sometime though

I know it's safer to have one but can't imagine the headaches I'd encounter. BB A Body with 2 #12 lines from the pan, center link through pan and the K member right close to the pan among other clearance & fitment issues.
Can you get a zipper on one to access the drain plug when changing the oil?
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/23/11 04:23 PM

"Put them on power adder equipped cars if you wish but N/A cars aren't the problem!"

Posted By: OUTLAWSSAA

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/23/11 04:31 PM

Quote:

Rickster

You guys that make statements like that make me laugh. Its the one size fits all theory."I've got one on mine so everybody should be able to fit one on" When this diaper stuff came up originally about 4yrs ago,I took my car over to get the cage recertified. I told the tech director to get down and look and see what he thought about putting a diaper on an A-body with a hemi in it. He got up off the ground with his head shaking. He said no way. Why do you think the west coast hemi team petitioned NHRA to let them put racks on there SS/AH cars? Because it would have been a nightmare with the drag link,#12 oil lines,the headers lay right next to the block and the simple fact there is no room.Right after the NHRA refused to let them alter the steering,they dropped the diaper rule.There were even some chevys complaining because on certain yrs the drag link is right next to the pan. Ya, having a diaper is a great idea, but on some cars is just isn't feasible.
Posted By: julian2007

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/23/11 05:03 PM

Its been a long time sense I had a old race car (dragster guy now for long time) so just asking how hard would it be to put a containment pan under your car?Would it be too low to the ground?I think the rule is two inch lip and from the damper to the mid plate and from rail to rail.I have seen some killer pans on some chassis cars but don't know if this would be a option for you guys.
Posted By: RADAMX

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/23/11 05:14 PM

I mounted mine to tabs on the block rather than to the header bolts. Keeps it tighter to the block.
this is a DRE bought about 5 years ago.
What a waist of a chrome pan
Posted By: Duner

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/23/11 05:26 PM

I like the idea of a diaper.... I just don't have any idea how I will get one to work with my junk. My crossover pipe and turbo manifold REST against the side of the block. You couldn't get a .020" feeler gauge between the pipe and the block. And I don't think a pan running under the stock Dakota truck frame is gonna work either.

Now what? LOL

I guess I now have an 11.0 truck.
Posted By: RADAMX

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/23/11 05:53 PM

Quote:

I like the idea of a diaper.... I just don't have any idea how I will get one to work with my junk. My crossover pipe and turbo manifold REST against the side of the block. You couldn't get a .020" feeler gauge between the pipe and the block. And I don't think a pan running under the stock Dakota truck frame is gonna work either.

Now what? LOL

Come down to Tucson IHRA you don't even need a license untill 8.99
Posted By: Duner

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/23/11 06:09 PM

I just might do that.

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/23/11 06:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Rickster

You guys that make statements like that make me laugh. Its the one size fits all theory."I've got one on mine so everybody should be able to fit one on" When this diaper stuff came up originally about 4yrs ago,I took my car over to get the cage recertified. I told the tech director to get down and look and see what he thought about putting a diaper on an A-body with a hemi in it. He got up off the ground with his head shaking. He said no way. Why do you think the west coast hemi team petitioned NHRA to let them put racks on there SS/AH cars? Because it would have been a nightmare with the drag link,#12 oil lines,the headers lay right next to the block and the simple fact there is no room.Right after the NHRA refused to let them alter the steering,they dropped the diaper rule.There were even some chevys complaining because on certain yrs the drag link is right next to the pan. Ya, having a diaper is a great idea, but on some cars is just isn't feasible.

Well said Outlaw... Try putting one of them on a Fairlane with a FE in it and big tube headers.....

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/23/11 07:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Now what? LOL

Come down to Tucson IHRA you don't even need a license untill 8.99

Now THAT`S what I`m talkin bout..........
Posted By: 68 HEMI GTS

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/23/11 08:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Rickster

i can't even imagine putting a diaper on my dart, guess if they enforce that its gonna be a street only car.
Posted By: Super Scamp

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/23/11 09:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Rickster

i can't even imagine putting a diaper on my dart, guess if they enforce that its gonna be a street only car.

Maybe you need to be Just a street car. Pretty soon Track liability will catch up with the rules.

Put a diaper on the 10 second Hemroid, I know of 3 outlaw 68 Hemi cars that have Diapers on them.
one with draglink bar through the pan.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/23/11 11:11 PM

Division One and a notice on our local tracks website, any car running 9.99 and quicker requires a diaper. especially participants in the Summit Racing Series.

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/24/11 12:05 AM

Quote:

especially participants in the Summit Racing Series.

what, they blow up the most?

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/24/11 01:53 AM

we need more outlaw tracks

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/24/11 01:54 AM

and we wonder why there is so much street racing.
Posted By: 572_dup2

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/24/11 02:01 AM

I bought a $90 from jegs last year an made it work. I cant see spending hundreds of dollars on something like that.

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/24/11 02:50 AM

No one should be against doing everything we can to maximize safety.....but, you've got to be practical. We could all build our cars to have the protection of a 40 ton WWII Sherman Tank, and it would be safe, but would it be practical? Is the cost and the hassle worth the result? With a diaper on a stock type, N/A car, I personally don't think so. And, I am not a johnny come lately at this...I've been doing it for over forty years. I have a good cage, good car, and my stuff is up to snuff. But, you are never going to make what we do 100% safe.

Very, very seldom do you see a prepared, Stock/SS type N/A car oil the track down. It rarely, rarely happens.

Who oils the track are the guys who have the money for a 200 shot of nitrous but not enough for good stuff in the motor. Go to any local track on a Saturday night, and you'll see cars in the lanes that you would be scared to sit in while it was standing still...but it gets through tech. Or, a Pro Mod type guy who just don't have quite enough money to do what he's doing, and makes up for it with nitrous or blowers. And, of course, at the big races, the fuel boys.

Call me too cynical, but this is what I see. Once diapers are mandated, it will be discovered that your front runner tires have an adverse effect by UV rays and have to be replaced every two years, or your braided fuel lines will need to be replaced every six months, or.....

Just another way to beat money out of everyone they can.
Posted By: W2DODGE

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/24/11 03:32 AM

I am with you MR P I would hate to try and put depends on my 69 dart.

Quote:

Quote:

Kevin

attend any NHRA events

Posted By: plycuda

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/24/11 03:35 AM

it's all them junk nitrous cars with stock rods and crank with their pg trans, cowl hoods and 9" rears. I would make them put a diaper around the whole car.
Posted By: 10 o to go

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/24/11 05:23 AM

Quote:

I have encountered other racers oil on the track at 150+ speeds and I don't like it one bit

Rickster

isn't a racecar anything that goes down the track ?
Posted By: 68 HEMI GTS

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/25/11 07:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Rickster

Maybe you need to be Just a street car. Pretty soon Track liability will catch up with the rules.

Put a diaper on the 10 second Hemroid, I know of 3 outlaw 68 Hemi cars that have Diapers on them.
one with draglink bar through the pan.

thats why its a 10 second hemi. i don't want window nets, jungle gym bars, bars through the dash, pants, shoes, certs, a diaper. this stuff is just getting stupid. if i wanted to deal with it i would have already stepped the motor up a long time ago to run 9's. but i prefer to keep my dart resembling a dart.

stock seats and the radio works

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/25/11 03:09 PM

Quote:

YOU HAVE THAT RIGHT TO GO OUT AND KILL YOUR SELF , PLEASE TRY NOT TO TAKE SOME INNOCENT BYSTANDER WITH YOU!
just because those tracks welcome cars that shouldn't be on the track , there is alot more at stake that just your idea of having fun with a car that cannot pass a mild tech inspection!
there are reasons that they have safety, insurance is big one, keeping spectators from being killed another, bad rep is another, no way I'm taking my 25tho dollar car race against someone who hasn't got the sense to proper lug nut on his car, or put new slicks on when they are in the cords,, or has 10 ft of rubber hose on his fuel line that runs next to his header held up by a plastic tie!
you want to run at a track that could care less of you being in a car with just a roll bar when you should have a full cage, and at least belts that are 5 years old, I have been to those tracks back in the day, yep nice tracks , treat you great , wounder how they fell when they have to peel you out of that car and tell your wife or kids well he did what he loved,sure looked good till caught on fire, mid track,or, man those seat belts looked good on him cant believed they where held on by just a 1/4 bolt threw that rotten floor!
Merry Christmas,
Posted By: moparts

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/25/11 03:32 PM

Quote:

YES

But many STREET cars can and do run in the 10's

The 9.99 cut off for just about all the Race Car only stuff is great, but a dipper required on a street car that races couple times a year

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/25/11 04:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

YES

But many STREET cars can and do run in the 10's

The 9.99 cut off for just about all the Race Car only stuff is great, but a dipper required on a street car that races couple times a year

SAY IF YOUR CAR IS REQUIRED A CAGE, THEN A DIAPER, 10.99 faster rule work , it shouldn't have to be ruled, it is a smart thing, they(nhra/ihra/ whom ever) shouldn't have to make it a rule, they fine the pro teams that oil down points and money,, we should do everything 'we' can to present our cars as safe and quality items ,Tey (track owners/managers) present us with a safe track for us and spectators to race on and to watch, I have watch car oil down clean up hour , throw the next pair down , guess what another oil down , wounder why we stay till 2 in the morning?
its cheap, and yes on some cars that are built , it is very hard to put a diaper on , I understand, but , there is something they can put on ! look we build these cars, with alot of money, time ,quality parts, and for some reason we will stumble over the easiest and sometimes the most important parts . What I thought abnout my car was one that first off was safe, for me and others around my car, I thought of things for 'down the road' improvements,

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/25/11 04:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

YOU HAVE THAT RIGHT TO GO OUT AND KILL YOUR SELF , PLEASE TRY NOT TO TAKE SOME INNOCENT BYSTANDER WITH YOU!
just because those tracks welcome cars that shouldn't be on the track , there is alot more at stake that just your idea of having fun with a car that cannot pass a mild tech inspection!
there are reasons that they have safety, insurance is big one, keeping spectators from being killed another, bad rep is another, no way I'm taking my 25tho dollar car race against someone who hasn't got the sense to proper lug nut on his car, or put new slicks on when they are in the cords,, or has 10 ft of rubber hose on his fuel line that runs next to his header held up by a plastic tie!
you want to run at a track that could care less of you being in a car with just a roll bar when you should have a full cage, and at least belts that are 5 years old, I have been to those tracks back in the day, yep nice tracks , treat you great , wounder how they fell when they have to peel you out of that car and tell your wife or kids well he did what he loved,sure looked good till caught on fire, mid track,or, man those seat belts looked good on him cant believed they where held on by just a 1/4 bolt threw that rotten floor!
Merry Christmas,

just so your know my car was certed to 7.50 and had every thing but a diaper and a chute,and was 1 of the nicer cars at every track I ran.I had close to 40k in the car.
I just get tiered of some bozo's telling me what all I have to do weather I like it or agree with it or not.If you can't take a little risk to have some fun than you should keep your azz on the porch.
Hell I have been in cars that would run deep in the 9s that had no roll bar at all but then again I ain't skeerd.

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/25/11 04:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Merry Christmas,

BS... so you think you cant blow a tire on the track
and cause a major issue... lets step back a little
here... you remember when NHRA said you had to have
a locking dip stick on your trans.... when did you
ever see oil coming out of the dip stick... remember
we have vents on the same trans... sure the locking
dip stick is cheap but come on... I still have never
seen oil come out of it.... maybe they should
make us put a complete catch tray under the whole
damn car... I think I remember someone said that
this sport CAN BE DANGEROUS

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/25/11 04:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Merry Christmas,

BS... so you think you cant blow a tire on the track
and cause a major issue... lets step back a little
here... you remember when NHRA said you had to have
a locking dip stick on your trans.... when did you
ever see oil coming out of the dip stick... remember
we have vents on the same trans... sure the locking
dip stick is cheap but come on... I still have never
seen oil come out of it.... maybe they should
make us put a complete catch tray under the whole
damn car... I think I remember someone said that
this sport CAN BE DANGEROUS

exactly they just keep coming out with more BS
if you can't assume some risk with the sport than you need to stay home

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/25/11 04:58 PM

The locking dipstick deal is a chevy power glide deal, yes I have seen it on those trans. maybe not on your high dollar piece.
accidents are rare, granted, tires ,oil, trans breakage is the biggest issue,and the one that causes the greatest risk.
I think its funny what we will accept till someone who is running something that hurts someone else or destroys another mans car in the other lane, because he's top lazy or well 'THAT'S RACING' attidude.
Wasn't to long ago a pro racer was told not to run certain hoosier tire, did it anyways, lost his car and took out another, everyone said he needed to step up replace his car,! wounder what they say, "WELL ITS RACING" "ITS DANGEROUS" TO BAD SORRY"
we will spend thousand of dollars building cars that run faster than they ever had, and we want to run them like we are still in the 50s

Posted By: Quicktree

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/25/11 05:11 PM

Mr. do gooder at his best
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/25/11 05:30 PM

Quote:

The locking dipstick deal is a chevy power glide deal, yes I have seen it on those trans. maybe not on your high dollar piece.
accidents are rare, granted, tires ,oil, trans breakage is the biggest issue,and the one that causes the greatest risk.
I think its funny what we will accept till someone who is running something that hurts someone else or destroys another mans car in the other lane, because he's top lazy or well 'THAT'S RACING' attidude.
Wasn't to long ago a pro racer was told not to run certain hoosier tire, did it anyways, lost his car and took out another, everyone said he needed to step up replace his car,! wounder what they say, "WELL ITS RACING" "ITS DANGEROUS" TO BAD SORRY"
we will spend thousand of dollars building cars that run faster than they ever had, and we want to run them like we are still in the 50s

It wasn't that long ago the the Goodyear tires on the TF's and FC's were falling apart every few runs and NHRA was running them anyway.

Oh I forgot. NHRA makes the rules and were looking out for the racers saftey instead of money issues.

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/25/11 05:31 PM

Quote:

,no-one will ever agree,
just funny that the things we will accept , and not accept!
Personally if your building a car, tons of money involved, make it as safe as you can , don't wait til something has to be mandated, then cry about it when it does!
tech at almost all tracks, is mild , unless your running a national event, otherwise all they care about is belts helmet,neutral safety switch, that's about it.
chevy guy goes out and for some reason his whole tire wheel axle an all comes out the other side, hits gaurd rail , I have seen that happen on no less than 2 on the same night,,mmm and I'm a 'do gooder', whatch a guy make a run and throw oil all the way down the track, only to see him run again later blow up turn his car upside down down track , ,and I'm a 'do gooder'?
see what I mean ,

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/25/11 05:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Merry Christmas,

just so your know my car was certed to 7.50 and had every thing but a diaper and a chute,and was 1 of the nicer cars at every track I ran.I had close to 40k in the car.
I just get tiered of some bozo's telling me what all I have to do weather I like it or agree with it or not.If you can't take a little risk to have some fun than you should keep your azz on the porch.
Hell I have been in cars that would run deep in the 9s that had no roll bar at all but then again I ain't skeerd.

Well said and each man his own opinions which are well taken. WHEN I get the boot, I may go ahead and finish my cage, get a net yada, yada, yada IF I choose to keep racing............at a track theat is. I`ll probably go where the real money is and street race where ANYTHING goes. I live on the edge.............always have, always will.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/25/11 05:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

,no-one will ever agree,
just funny that the things we will accept , and not accept!
Personally if your building a car, tons of money involved, make it as safe as you can , don't wait til something has to be mandated, then cry about it when it does!
tech at almost all tracks, is mild , unless your running a national event, otherwise all they care about is belts helmet,neutral safety switch, that's about it.
chevy guy goes out and for some reason his whole tire wheel axle an all comes out the other side, hits gaurd rail , I have seen that happen on no less than 2 on the same night,,mmm and I'm a 'do gooder', whatch a guy make a run and throw oil all the way down the track, only to see him run again later blow up turn his car upside down down track , ,and I'm a 'do gooder'?
see what I mean ,

the problem with all of that is they are slowly pushing people out of racing with all of their so called safety rules. it's getting harder for the average person to afford the cost of racing. If I thought for a second that my belts were unsafe or anything for that matter I wouldn't take the car down the track. I have been racing for over 30 years and have only seen a handful of racers getting hurt or injuring others due to a failed safety device. and I have never seen a safety belt fail even before they came up with these BS rules.

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/25/11 05:51 PM

Quote:

When I was building my car I needed to talk to the
head tech guy for the IHRA... I will always remember
what he said.... "we are not your baby sitter" he
also said if you build a solid car you wont have
any issues... If you notice that its the NHRA with all
the BS rules...they can fall by the way side and it
wouldnt hurt my feelings a bit

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/25/11 06:30 PM

As it progresses ,ihra ,adrl whom ever, will all go to some sort of updated rules or already have rules, they will move rules to suit what they have more or less.
as we move ahead more rules will come down, some will just pass on it and move out of racing.others will just update move forward for the betterment of racing.
I decided to have a car that could easily pass 9.90 rules , but only run it in 10,o classes, but it will be as safe or even safer than alot of cars out there.
as for belts, yeah it stinks, but i can get free update on them so close to 4.5 years on belts then replace is alright by me, besides they're only 75-80$ really cheap to keep your a$$ in the car !

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/25/11 06:41 PM

Quote:

As it progresses ,ihra ,adrl whom ever, will all go to some sort of updated rules or already have rules, they will move rules to suit what they have more or less.
as we move ahead more rules will come down, some will just pass on it and move out of racing.others will just update move forward for the betterment of racing.
I decided to have a car that could easily pass 9.90 rules , but only run it in 10,o classes, but it will be as safe or even safer than alot of cars out there.
as for belts, yeah it stinks, but i can get free update on them so close to 4.5 years on belts then replace is alright by me, besides they're only 75-80$ really cheap to keep your a$$ in the car !

That's fine if you buy the cheap belts but I buy good cam lock belts.
But the guy running a 11 sec car with stock seats can have 40 year old belts and that's ok but let him install a 5 point belt to be a little safer and now he needs new belts every 2 years that's STUPID I don't care how you look at it.
Just like a lot of there rules.

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/25/11 08:05 PM

Rules are fine, and should be updated as new problems arise, but, one has to be practical.

Although I have no issues with updating my belts every two years, you will never convince me it is nothing but a way to have contingency sponsors sell more belts. No one will ever convince me of a practical need for two year replacement. Maybe in something where you clean out the inside with a hose, but not in enclosed cars not unlike those driven daily. Ain't buyin' it.

Same with the diapers. You can count on one hand the number of times an AH car oiled down the track within the last five years, and they run those to 10K rpm. It's the matter of running good stuff, putting it together right, and using your head. Use a good cage, make sure your stuff is clean and right, stay away from the nitrous unless you've got the motor to take it. As Mr. Peabody so well put it..."they aren't your baby sitter". So true.

As far as the argument "well it might happen", yeah it might. Why don't you make everyone race a Sherman tank? How about outlawing locking up the brakes on the big end to keep from breaking out? Or, how about outlawing delay boxes so you don't have a 160mph car going past a 100mph car in the lights? How about something simple as trained tech people and tightening up the rules that are in place?

This is a deal where it is designed to sell stuff, plain and simple. I'm not opposed to a diaper if one wants to run one, if it gives someone some peace of mind, go for it. But making it a requirement is dumb.

And, as Jody said earlier, it's not only a MoPar pain in the butt rule, the Fairlanes are as bad if not worse than us.

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/25/11 08:27 PM

Steve, you and I think alike, getting to the root of the problem. When they came out with the blanket muffler rule in 2000, there was no specification for limits on decibels. The Stock and S/S guys said "no way", and the rule was waived for them.

Go tell those guys on Classracer that they need diapers and let us know what they say...
Posted By: 10 o to go

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/26/11 07:20 PM

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with one of the posters ,we've been down that road on other websites with him .

If someone is so safety minded in bracket racing at the speed and et they are running then wouldn't they be scared against a 12.99 car verses their 10.00 car ? That car car doesn't have the safety items they have .

Another if the guy has been racing for years ,WHY haven't you worn the neck collar ,gloves, fullface helmet ,fire jacket pants,window net put a cage in a 14 sec car put heavier tubing in a car or go with moly verses milddom tubing ?SAFETY FIRST THE WHOLE TIME
put a onboard fire extingisher system ,bead wheel locks,etc.
What drum is in the 727 trans ,LBA brake ,etc ,etc .

FORGET THE ET BRACKET RULES go straight to TOP FOOL RULES .

Attached picture 6985271-beating_a_dead_horse.jpg
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/26/11 09:41 PM

with Steve

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/26/11 11:34 PM

I personally don't like many of NHRA's "Safety Equipment" rules, as I just replaced my seat belts..

They had a dozen runs on them and were really never used in 2 years..

Oh, and yes just bought a new window net too.. Love spending money that's not necessary..

What about the trans shield I have that's never been used.. Out of date..

BUT.. The diaper rule makes sense.. To each his own.. If someone decides to no longer race because of it..

So be it.. More track time for me.. less oil downs..

This one I agree with..

Chris..
Posted By: Leon441

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/26/11 11:36 PM

I wish the guy who ran in front of me at Bristol in 2005 at The Mopar Race in the 68' charger that oiled down the track had had something to retain his oil. Guess what, he was only running in the 12's. Our class ran behind him. Try running 8.0's with oil spewed all over top end. I don't want to ruin everyone's day but even slow cars oil tracks. This was a stock street car that just wanted to make a pass. No prior issues.

I wrecked several times on this pass just didn't hit anything. If the officials did a better job keeping up with the track it would help. They don't so diapers can't hurt. Well unless the extra heat caused the engine to blow early.

Personally a pan is my idea. I'll bet a peice of sheetmetal with some pig mat on it zip tied to the frame would do wonders.

Leon

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/26/11 11:50 PM

Well, then maybe 12 and 13 second cars should be forced to run a diaper, too. That settles that.

I guess the class guys are exempt from this? No one on class racer seems to know anything about it.

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/27/11 12:52 AM

if we don't pay attention to it,, maybe , it will go away.
hey 10 0 to go Don, Merry Christmas!

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/27/11 12:56 AM

where does it stop by this mentality then you should have to have a diaper around the transmission,the rear end,all the calipers and the master cylinder to oh yeah lets not forget the radiator.
You will never stop oil downs of some kind it is the tracks problem to do a better job at cleaning it up.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/27/11 01:09 AM

that sums it all up rite there. containe all fliuds or nothing. seeya.

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/27/11 04:02 AM

Face it, NHRA only wants us to run chassis cars and dragsters. This is another rule with little or no thought put into it. I had a Div.#1 track owner tell me lastyear to complain to the Div.#1 office about the pending diaper rule. He wants no part of it. He said Maple Grove is the track who was spear heading this in Div.#1. Of course the track owner I was speaking with wanted to remain unknown to avoid retaliation.

This, the seatbelt 2yr. recert., increased license and cage recert. fees and now the 2yr. window net recert. rule just makes me wonder if it is really worth it...

Re: NE1 else hearing that Diapers will be required on 10.99 - 12/27/11 04:07 AM

This, the seatbelt 2yr. recert., increased license and cage recert. fees and now the 2yr. window net recert. rule just makes me wonder if it is really worth it...

Your correct... I am really thinking about selling
my car... my interest is shifting to street rods anyways
© 2024 Moparts Forums