Moparts

Head Gaskets.....Early Hemi

Posted By: TrWaters

Head Gaskets.....Early Hemi - 12/18/11 01:40 AM

Are steel shim head gaskets obsolete? The old school type....single stamped pieces. If not, what is the limit when using them as far as compression ratios?
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Head Gaskets.....Early Hemi - 12/18/11 02:08 AM

Quote:

Are steel shim head gaskets obsolete? The old school type....single stamped pieces. If not, what is the limit when using them as far as compression ratios?

They work very well. Spray them with copper coat and rtv water passages, and your good to go. Only limit is finding them and to what bore size. We run them on any hemi that the bore will fit. The max on the 426 is +.060", not sure on the 392's..
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Head Gaskets.....Early Hemi - 12/18/11 02:35 AM

I don't think any of the early Chrysler(don't know about Desoto and Dodges) came with steel shim head gaskest, I had a bunch of them. All of the ones I have seen used a multi layered composite head gsaket, in fact I may have two of them left from master overhaul sets
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: Head Gaskets.....Early Hemi - 12/18/11 02:52 AM

Quote:

I don't think any of the early Chrysler(don't know about Desoto and Dodges) came with steel shim head gaskest, I had a bunch of them. All of the ones I have seen used a multi layered composite head gsaket, in fact I may have two of them left from master overhaul sets

my 1955 331 hemi had steel shims.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Head Gaskets.....Early Hemi - 12/18/11 02:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

my 1955 331 hemi had steel shims.

Mine didn't, but it had been tweak some before I got it(the heads had been cut .125 according to the former owner ) None of the 354 or 392, two 300 motors included I had came from the factory with steel shim head gaskets that I saw I only saw around eight of them altogether I have learned a long time ago to never say never about OEM parts, especially on Mopars
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: Head Gaskets.....Early Hemi - 12/18/11 03:10 AM

I'll have to get out to the garage and snap a few pix of them - I am 99 % sure they are shims.

The car was a low mileage original, but your right - never say never..lol
Posted By: TrWaters

Re: Head Gaskets.....Early Hemi - 12/18/11 04:36 PM

I have several sets of NOS Victor and Fitzgerald steel shim headgaskets, which is why I am asking. I was just curious as to any limits in using them.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Head Gaskets.....Early Hemi - 12/18/11 04:45 PM

My 57 was never touched and they were steel.Same with the NOS gasket set I bought.They were steel also.Rocky
© 2024 Moparts Forums