Moparts

Engine Diaper?

Posted By: 604 Hemi GTX

Engine Diaper? - 12/15/11 07:24 AM

Who's diaper and why? I'm going to put one on my engine and would like info on fit and finish. How did you measure them so they fit properly?
Thanks for any and all info
Kevin
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: Engine Diaper? - 12/15/11 07:35 AM

I just called DRE and told the guy which motor I had, what oil pan and a verbal description of the headers..

He took it from there and built one for me... also included a free t-shirt too..
Posted By: 65dragnet

Re: Engine Diaper? - 12/15/11 11:56 AM

O K how does it fit ?
Posted By: Dartsport540

Re: Engine Diaper? - 12/15/11 12:34 PM

Mine is fro DRE. It fits good....

Attached picture 6967929-tn_142_4234.JPG
Posted By: 604 Hemi GTX

Re: Engine Diaper? - 12/15/11 04:20 PM

Only reason I'm asking is I need one for a center sump pan with an external pick up. I've seen pictures with a rear sump and external pick up.
Thanks
Kevin
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: Engine Diaper? - 12/15/11 04:25 PM

Here is my belly pan pic works very well for me. Easy on & off, doesnt hold heat,contains the fluid.

Attached picture 6968122-CopyofIMG_0207.JPG
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: Engine Diaper? - 12/15/11 04:49 PM

I thought about one of those belly pans. One of my friends has one on his car and I've helped him R&R it.

It is easy to deal with but after my motor came apart at the end of 09 I can say with certainty a pan would NOT have kept all the fluid and parts off the track. Not even close.
Posted By: 23T Hemmee

Re: Engine Diaper? - 12/15/11 05:08 PM

About the only way a pan will work is on a tube chassis altered or dragster where you can run the sides, front and back inside the rails to form a real containment area, really hard to do on a stock bodied chassis.

Re: Engine Diaper? - 12/15/11 06:44 PM

Mine is a stock front end w/a Bobsprofab front suspension (K member lower control arms, rack & pinion)
Posted By: 23T Hemmee

Re: Engine Diaper? - 12/15/11 10:50 PM

David, Is the front lip of your pan angled forward? If so and you kick a rod through your oil pan, you're going to have a shi-load of oil underneath your tires under decel. Not trying to be argumentative, the workmanship on the pan looks really nice and I'm sure it keeps the ground a lot drier than not having one but it really needs higher sides and to hug the block and pan a lot closer than what it appears like in the picture. Can you post any other pics?

Re: Engine Diaper? - 12/16/11 12:16 AM

The front is about 8 " the sides are about 3" high as is the back. If went 6s in the 1/4 instead of 9s a serous diaper would be in order.I'll try to post more pics later.
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Engine Diaper? - 12/17/11 06:21 AM

I learned a lesson with diapers and would like to pass the info on to anyione considering buying one. The sportsman do not need to have a SFI certificatioon. That also translates into NHRA not having any spec or requirements as to design or construction materials.
Like everyone else I decided to buy what the required diaper.
I checked around and found a company that many people had used and seemed happy with the product.
OK so I send a pattern and it comes back in a reasonable time and fit pretty good.One of my helpers installed it .
Then about a month later I see something hanging under the car it was the diaper.
One of the catches broke allowing the diaper to flap and melt on the header while a section hit the ground and got ripped up. It was then that I took the time to see what I had purchased. The catches are plastic the type a kid has on his school bag. The straps are made out of another man made material often seen on school bags and those things you wear around your waist to hold valubles. The diaper is made of some synthectic that melts just like nylon. It would shock me if the materials cost more than 5 or 10.00. I* can't post pics from the laptop but will first chance I get

Judging by what I spennt my money on this next5 one will be SFI Kevlar or a homemade one better material and metal latches.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Engine Diaper? - 12/17/11 07:11 PM

So what IS the currant rule on the diaper and when it is needed?
Posted By: 65dragnet

Re: Engine Diaper? - 12/17/11 08:20 PM

I think that there is an absorbant mat inside the belly pans that some of you are not aware of. The pan doesn't or shouldn't be a liquid containment on it's own. Also the diaper pictured above looks to have plastic buckles.
Posted By: M_D

Re: Engine Diaper? - 12/17/11 08:44 PM

I agree with 23T. The pan would be ok to keep drips off the garage or trailer floor. If the engine comes apart most of the oil and water will be violently expelled out the side(s) and the drip pan will likely not catch or contain much (even with an absorbent pad). When the mph is getting up there the turbulent air will really blow the liquids around.
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Engine Diaper? - 12/17/11 10:45 PM

JUST ona' side-note .....I wood run a SFI diaper on any builders' motor that suggests FAT rod-side-clearance ...

J/K ...

Re: Engine Diaper? - 12/18/11 01:10 AM

Mine has a Jegs pad in the bottom the same pad as used in thier diaper. I had a serous coolant leak from the lower radiator hose. It had several quarts of coolant and was absorbed by the pad. I didn't realize how much coolant was there till I pulled the pan and emptied it out. It was contained
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Engine Diaper? - 12/18/11 02:07 AM

Quote:

I agree with 23T. The pan would be ok to keep drips off the garage or trailer floor. If the engine comes apart most of the oil and water will be violently expelled out the side(s) and the drip pan will likely not catch or contain much (even with an absorbent pad). When the mph is getting up there the turbulent air will really blow the liquids around.

I'm going to build a belly pan since my car is a chassis car. I don't run the big numbers and have never hurt an engine on the big end so I'm not real concerned, in fact even the two catastophic failures I have experienced in my lifetime (over 36 years) never put a drop of fluid on the track. Big horsepower engines may explode and shed parts and that's why they need a ballistic diaper but my junk doesn't do that and I would say that most cars running in the 8 to 9 second range aren't going to be shrapnel producers either, well unless they are Chevies or on nitrous.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Engine Diaper? - 12/18/11 04:15 AM

I have a DRE and a Taylor. The tube car has the DRE one and the stock front end car with the 99 Hemi has the Taylor one. I have also used a stroud one in the orange car when it had a Hemi in it.

This is the stroud that was on the car when the Hemi let go in the orange car. I woudl not run a car this fast without one period. Not one drop of ANYTHING on the track...

car in the traps at 155
Posted By: Dads426

Re: Engine Diaper? - 12/18/11 05:44 AM

We run a DRE. With a dragster pan, kickout, external pickup, sight glass, drag link tube, I just sent the pan to Dennis and he fabbed one up. He stitched kevlar near the headers, but it still melted some material. Sent it back and he fixed it for free. Not cheap, but good peace of mind.

Attached picture 6972080-Atco2011.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums