Moparts

CA Autoparts - what the...

Posted By: olwhite64

CA Autoparts - what the... - 09/12/23 08:36 PM

I'm trying to buy a set of headers off of this website.

Am I so stupid that I can't figure out how to get past the legal release page that says I won't put these on an emission controlled vehicle?

Is it because of my Ad blocker?

Anybody else willing to try to get farther than I did?

https://caautoparts.com/products/hd...totd6A9KzVcvLDqnEFFRGOWCCnQaAstwEALw_wcB
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: CA Autoparts - what the... - 09/12/23 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by olwhite64
Anybody else willing to try to get farther than I did?

I did, no problem at all. Fill out the boxes, sign your name, check I agree, done.

Currently only running Adblock Plus - free ad blocker. Ghostery, AdNauseam and NoScript currently disabled

Attached picture CA.png
Posted By: John Brown

Re: CA Autoparts - what the... - 09/12/23 11:48 PM

Looks like a candy store to me.

https://caautoparts.com/collections/exhaust-headers

Re: CA Autoparts - what the... - 09/13/23 12:37 PM

Finally called them last night - it was my email.

If you have a period in your email before the "@" sign it will kick it back - they told me to remove the periods and try it which worked just fine.

Headers are ordered - we'll see how they look when they show up.

Stainless steel headers for $199 shipped to my door? *Sounds* too good to be true; we shall see but the fact that I got a real person who spoke clear and fluent English on the phone seemed like a good sign to me...?

Or the scam of the century!!!
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: CA Autoparts - what the... - 09/14/23 01:28 AM

I poked around in there too. Here's some for a small block pickup or Ramcharger.
https://caautoparts.com/products/hds-dpu67-2wd-lt
Posted By: Hugh Jorgan

Re: CA Autoparts - what the... - 09/14/23 01:26 PM

Stainless steel headers for $199 shipped to my door?

shock
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: CA Autoparts - what the... - 09/14/23 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgan
Stainless steel headers for $199 shipped to my door?

shock

And when they show up you find out the pic of them is actual size......... laugh2

(anyone remember the thread about the vise many years ago where this happened?)
Posted By: Hugh Jorgan

Re: CA Autoparts - what the... - 09/21/23 12:11 AM

Did you get them yet?

popcorn

Re: CA Autoparts - what the... - 09/26/23 08:41 PM

Fellas - I don't know what to tell you... but they're amazing. They're highly polished and the welds are awesome. Literally speechless when I pulled them out of the box. I bolted them right up to a motor I had on a stand; the flanges are super thick and as of right now, straight as an arrow!

I can only assume the will not fit in the chassis in some way/shape/form!?!

Attached picture IMG_5388.JPG
Attached picture header.jpg

Re: CA Autoparts - what the... - 09/26/23 08:49 PM

They look really wide for a truck chassis? I hope I'm seeing this wrong.

My '93 5.7 Ramcharger needed a Jeep Grand Cherokee exhaust manifold on the drivers side to clear the frame, they tried notching the frame but there wasn't enough room.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: CA Autoparts - what the... - 09/26/23 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by 3hundred

My '93 5.7 Ramcharger needed a Jeep Grand Cherokee exhaust manifold on the drivers side to clear the frame, they tried notching the frame but there wasn't enough room.

The 5.7 is a different critter then a 5.2 or 5.9 Magnum. These headers appear to be bolted to either an LA or a Magnum motor.

If possible, I would like to see a picture from the front of the motor so we can see how close the headers tuck in towards the block. That will give a better idea if they would work on a tight chassis.

Re: CA Autoparts - what the... - 09/26/23 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by poorboy
Originally Posted by 3hundred

The 5.7 is a different critter then a 5.2 or 5.9 Magnum. These headers appear to be bolted to either an LA or a Magnum motor.

If possible, I would like to see a picture from the front of the motor so we can see how close the headers tuck in towards the block. That will give a better idea if they would work on a tight chassis.

You're right, the hemi head is much wider. IIRC, the JGC manifold didn't exit too far off the starter? Can't go out and look anymore, sold the truck earlier this year.

It's a B engine, guessing the collector is outboard the engine by about a foot?

It's probably fine and I'm over or under thinking it.

Re: CA Autoparts - what the... - 09/27/23 01:58 PM

It's actually for a 440 I'm putting in an '86 Ram 2wd 150.

60k Motorhome motor; just for towing basically - anybody got any cam recommendations (cheap)?

Re: CA Autoparts - what the... - 09/28/23 12:01 AM

Guess I should have looked at the block a little closer. Now its pretty clear its a big block.

In my defense, its been 25 years since I've seen a big block on an engine stand. a poor excuse is better then no excuse... : blush grin
Posted By: 360view

Re: CA Autoparts - what the... - 09/28/23 11:40 AM

It's actually for a 440 I'm putting in an '86 Ram 2wd 150.

60k Motorhome motor; just for towing basically - anybody got any cam recommendations (cheap)?

Not a cam, but you might consider hyd lifters with “variable duration” design of which the Rhoads Lifter is the best known.

These improve fuel economy at highway cruise, but produce more torque after a downshift to climb a hill at higher rpm.

For ultimate “cheap” you could have your present lifters modified by precision grinding the sides of the lifter piston on two sides.

The third Rhoads lifter US Patent details grinding one or two “flats” a few thousandths deep on the side of the hyd lifter internal piston.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US4524731A/en

If you read the Patent Jack Rhoads’ father got 2 patents before this one. Jack’s son Justin got more Patents.

Improvements on the Rhoads,
of which there are many,
grind a “Trapezoid” shape on either side of the hyd lifter internal piston
or similar.

These hyd lifters do make extra noise at idle.

Some of the US Patents claim one to three MPG improvements for pickup trucks on the highway.
By law, US Patent claims are like “testifying in court under Oath”.

Any hydraulic lifter in an engine with more than 100,000 miles on it
is kind of like a new from the box Rhoads lifter
in that oil is leaking enough inside that the valve lift is shorter and over a shorter duration.
Posted By: Andyvh1959

Re: CA Autoparts - what the... - 10/02/23 02:04 AM

These look really tempting for $199, stainless steel. But, am I missing something? How come the tubes aren't fully welded to the head flange?
Posted By: stumpy

Re: CA Autoparts - what the... - 10/02/23 02:31 AM

most likely welded on the block side of the flange.

Re: CA Autoparts - what the... - 10/02/23 02:31 AM

Header tubes are generally welded to the flanges on the motor side, then surface ground so the welds are what actually seal to the heads with the header gaskets. The few tack welds on the outside are most likely to hold the flange in the proper location while the tubes are positioned on a jig for proper angles.

Re: CA Autoparts - what the... - 10/02/23 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by stumpy

Correct in this case; these are fully welded and machined flat on the inside.
Posted By: moparx

Re: CA Autoparts - what the... - 10/03/23 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by stumpy

Correct in this case; these are fully welded and machined flat on the inside.

agree as well. even TTI pipes are constructed this way.
beer
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: CA Autoparts - what the... - 10/03/23 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by poorboy
Header tubes are generally welded to the flanges on the motor side, then surface ground so the welds are what actually seal to the heads with the header gaskets. The few tack welds on the outside are most likely to hold the flange in the proper location while the tubes are positioned on a jig for proper angles.

That's what i was told by whoever makes Blackjack.
I bought a set back in the day of AK5000. They were tacked outside, but insides were a major fail. So many spots missed they leaked bad.
AK5000 were a stab at a coating, hot metal spray on them.
Only way to fix them was to weld all the flanges inside and machine flat. It would ruin the coating.
Sadly they did not care.
I have followed this thread glad to see you got the headers and thet look so nice. I have been screwed by.major companies so evey order no matter who you buy from.is a gamble now
© 2024 Moparts Forums