Moparts

Torque Convertor, 8HP-70

Posted By: Andyvh1959

Torque Convertor, 8HP-70 - 07/22/23 04:01 PM

As I shop for a used 8HP-70 I'm finding a lot of what looks like good deals, but often without the torque converter. The 8HP-70 has a strong reputation for a reliable trouble free transmission. My goal is a daily driver, with a strong torquey engine, so I won't need a high stall speed converter. Thinking a stock torque converter for a 8HP-70 trans from a Charger or Challenger will be fine for a street road vintage pickup. But what cautions should I consider when buying a pre-owned torque converter, especially if i buy one separate from the transmission I buy.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Torque Convertor, 8HP-70 - 07/22/23 06:27 PM

i don't know a thing about those transmissions, let alone the converters for them, but possibly look at a reman unit from a reputable company instead of taking a chance on a used one ? shruggy
beer
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Torque Convertor, 8HP-70 - 07/22/23 09:46 PM

I would install a reman converter if the trans doesn't come with a converter. Could be expensive without a core. Frankly, I'm surprised the used trans doesn't come with a converter, must have a big core charge if the people are willing to sell the trans without the converter.

Re: Torque Convertor, 8HP-70 - 07/22/23 11:16 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into a remanned torque converter as it sounds like the best choice. What though is the cause to reman a torque converter? What in essence goes wrong with a torque converter?
Posted By: Moparite

Re: Torque Convertor, 8HP-70 - 07/23/23 03:59 PM

Where are you looking? They may have the converter at additional cost. The customer may want a different stall speed than stock. If a trans fails contaminants get into the converter and then it cant be used. If it's rebuilt it's cut apart cleaned and any damaged parts replaced.

Re: Torque Convertor, 8HP-70 - 07/24/23 05:11 AM

Mostly been shopping FB Marketplace. Some of the sellers only show the trans without the torque converter. Other show the trans with everything, hoses, tube, harness, torque converter. Since I only want a dependable daily driver, a stock torque converter is likely fine for me.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Torque Convertor, 8HP-70 - 07/24/23 05:05 PM

what kind of price difference is there between the ones with and without the converter ?
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums