Moparts

80s truck question

Posted By: volaredon

80s truck question - 02/22/23 04:01 AM

It's a dumb question for sure I know..... And I think I know the answer.....
Did any of the 80s trucks come with a factory tach in the dash cluster?
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: 80s truck question - 02/22/23 10:45 AM

No. The only optional tach I'm aware of was in the diesel trucks and was an add on pod.

Re: 80s truck question - 02/22/23 03:56 PM

That's what i thought too, truck in question is earlier 80s than could be had w/a diesel, and I have the dash completely out of it so I can add everything that a factory AC truck would have had that's different than a non AC truck, so I thought now would be the best time find one if it existed so I only have to dismantle things once.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: 80s truck question - 02/22/23 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by volaredon
That's what i thought too, truck in question is earlier 80s than could be had w/a diesel, and I have the dash completely out of it so I can add everything that a factory AC truck would have had that's different than a non AC truck, so I thought now would be the best time find one if it existed so I only have to dismantle things once.

I see you too are getting lazy more efficient in your old age. grin

Re: 80s truck question - 02/22/23 08:48 PM

I've never liked redo's. I could do the same job on 8 vehicles in a row and I'm alright with that though redundancy gets old.
But as soon as I have to go back into one of those a 2nd time for the same thing, or take all the same stuff apart I just had apart to get at something else that's "right there in the same area" I'm not happy.
Posted By: 4x4 Roundup

Re: 80s truck question - 02/23/23 07:24 PM

This is the factory tach for a '79. I think it was available at least as late as 1980.

Attached picture DSCN7164 (Medium).JPG
Posted By: Wheeler

Re: 80s truck question - 02/23/23 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by ruderunner
No. The only optional tach I'm aware of was in the diesel trucks and was an add on pod.

ruderunner is correct. The 1981-1993 Dodge Trucks were never equipped with a tachometer from the factory.

Mopar Parts used to sell a tachometer for the 1991-1993 diesel trucks.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/factory-tach-real-myth-229787/

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/factory-tach-253923/

Re: 80s truck question - 02/23/23 10:25 PM

I've seen them on the 70s trucks. My brother had a factory tach in one of his trucks over the years, I'm thinking it was his 80 ramcharger. But could have been one of the others
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: 80s truck question - 02/24/23 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4 Roundup
This is the factory tach for a '79. I think it was available at least as late as 1980.

Yes. It was optional but could be substituted with a clock and came with the volt and vaccum guages that went in the same spot on the opposite side of the dash. The dash changed with the rest in 81.
© 2024 Moparts Forums