Moparts

tire eating dodge

Posted By: coronetville

tire eating dodge - 01/24/19 10:42 PM

my 1997 dodge dually 4x4 eats front tires, worst is drivers side after 20 some years told "nothing can be done" is there?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: tire eating dodge - 01/25/19 12:22 AM

It needs to be aligned properly for the tires to last like they should, even if it includes having the front axle housing straightened.
Maybe you need to take it to a shop that CAN fix it work scope
Posted By: GarageDodge

Re: tire eating dodge - 01/25/19 02:01 AM

Needs to go to a aligment shop that can do it correctly.Alot don't want to mess with rusted&frozen adjusters,they say nothing else can be done,if you want to spend the money it can be fixed.
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: tire eating dodge - 01/25/19 06:25 AM

Happened to me on my '01 Ram 4X4 through a couple sets of tires. Now fixed. Long story short, find another alignment shop
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: tire eating dodge - 01/25/19 03:00 PM

Find a front end shop that doesn't sell tires, that is where the experts really seem to be.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: tire eating dodge - 01/25/19 11:09 PM

Isn't there a heavy duty track bar that's supposed to help with tire wear?
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: tire eating dodge - 01/26/19 04:45 AM

4x4.... caster and toe adjusters only. Any camber adjustments requires “manipulating” front axle or using “offset” ball joints. Honestly I rarely find anyone who wants to spend the money as it can be a time consuming venture.

....and you can get it closer: example if the truck is used mainly for towing, perform align with weight added to simulate tongue weight.
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: tire eating dodge - 01/26/19 07:32 AM

Originally Posted By J_BODY
4x4.... caster and toe adjusters only. Any camber adjustments requires “manipulating” front axle or using “offset” ball joints. Honestly I rarely find anyone who wants to spend the money as it can be a time consuming venture.

....and you can get it closer: example if the truck is used mainly for towing, perform align with weight added to simulate tongue weight.

I'm not an alignment guy, but here's the long story: I bought my '01 in 2006. It needed new tires, and also slightly pulled to the right. Had the alignment checked when the new tires were installed and they claimed it was good. Wore the right front outside edge slightly. Next set of tires, repeat previous scenario. I recently bought tires (new) off the internet and took them to a local shop for installation. A friend recommended this particular (small) shop, said it's the best alignment shop in town. Sure enough, it runs straight, no pull to the right, and it needed no new parts. We'll see how they wear, but I'm confident they'll be good.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: tire eating dodge - 01/29/19 01:15 PM

Run high psi, especially with a diesel
Posted By: coronetville

Re: tire eating dodge - 02/03/19 07:32 AM

thanks i will look into to it the truck has been towing all of its life [64000]
© 2024 Moparts Forums