Moparts

Dashboard cracked again

Posted By: 135sohc

Dashboard cracked again - 12/26/18 04:14 AM

02 1500, the plastic top cap on the dash turned into dust and crumbles. I bought a new one almost 3 years ago intending to paint it and install. Got po'ed with the whole thing and did nothing. Last year I got a dash mat and installed it, looks ok and hides the missing plastic trim. Today I noticed on the passenger side corner of the dash running from the side defroster vent to the blow out panel for the passenger airbag there is a huge crack right across there. Just as clean a break as can be.

I'm sort of expecting the d-side to do the same anytime now. Last week I got the trim piece out to go about painting it and set it in. Seeing that this turd has yet to finish falling apart I opted to put it away again.
Posted By: iapco103

Re: Dashboard cracked again - 12/26/18 04:27 AM

you are not alone , these have a near 100% failure rate. These dashboards have absolutely no UV repellent at all.
A buddy of mine has a 99 1500 that he bought new , he has so much crap piled on the dash that sunlight never hits it , still looks new to this day ( go figure ).

When you install your replacement dash , get one of those fuzzy carpet looking things to cover it, it helps. Paul
Posted By: BleedDodge

Re: Dashboard cracked again - 12/26/18 05:31 AM

I have owned three 2nd gen trucks, and not one has ever had a cracked dash. When I read threads like this one I just scratch my head and wonder what it looks like when they do crack like people say, because I’ve never seen it happen yet.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Dashboard cracked again - 12/26/18 07:56 AM

The plastic dash crumbles and ends up with big holes in it.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Dashboard cracked again - 12/26/18 09:15 AM

Mine was perfect when I got it 5 years ago or so... not anymore. I got a glue on cap, but not sure there's enough to glue it to laugh2
Posted By: racerx

Re: Dashboard cracked again - 12/27/18 03:36 AM

Originally Posted By 135sohc
02 1500, the plastic top cap on the dash turned into dust and crumbles. I bought a new one almost 3 years ago intending to paint it and install. Got po'ed with the whole thing and did nothing. Last year I got a dash mat and installed it, looks ok and hides the missing plastic trim. Today I noticed on the passenger side corner of the dash running from the side defroster vent to the blow out panel for the passenger airbag there is a huge crack right across there. Just as clean a break as can be.

I'm sort of expecting the d-side to do the same anytime now. Last week I got the trim piece out to go about painting it and set it in. Seeing that this turd has yet to finish falling apart I opted to put it away again.
I thought they would have use better quality plastic in there later years shruggy.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Dashboard cracked again - 12/27/18 04:22 AM

I thought the 2002 and up design was a better piece. (except for the 2002 2500 and 3500).
Posted By: dodgedon

Re: Dashboard cracked again - 12/27/18 06:34 AM

Originally Posted By BleedDodge
I have owned three 2nd gen trucks, and not one has ever had a cracked dash. When I read threads like this one I just scratch my head and wonder what it looks like when they do crack like people say, because I’ve never seen it happen yet.

I have not seen this either. We just don't have that penetrating sun in these areas.
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: Dashboard cracked again - 12/27/18 11:47 PM

My '03 2500 did it, seemingly overnight. Developed small cracks on top. Never had a problem with my '06.

Tim
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Dashboard cracked again - 12/28/18 02:28 PM

My 96 2500 V10 was perfect when I sold it, bought it new. My 96 5.9 Magnum I have now is perfect also. My 2000 was fine, but I aold it in 2004 so I didn't have it long. The 2001 2500 V10 came apart in sheets! eek
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: Dashboard cracked again - 12/28/18 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By iapco103
you are not alone , these have a near 100% failure rate. These dashboards have absolutely no UV repellent at all.

The dash on my '01 was perfect when I bought it in 2005. Knowing how bad these dashes are, I immediately bought a high-end dash cover that my truck still wears. I do have 1 crack up near a defrost vent, but it's not bad at all. I intend to get some of this windshield UV protective film installed for the Summer heat protection, but because it blocks 99% of UV rays, it should help protect the dash as well.
https://www.tnttinting.com/image/new-legal-clear-heat-blocking-front-windshield-film
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Dashboard cracked again - 12/29/18 01:15 AM

The only drawback I see to windshield tinting is it can cause distortion. Which I hate more than the hot sun light. Here in Texas I use a dash mat and it looks good keeps the sun and heat off the dash and is pretty cheap.
Posted By: 135sohc

Re: Dashboard cracked again - 12/30/18 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By racerx
Originally Posted By 135sohc

I thought they would have use better quality plastic in there later years shruggy.

maybe not to the extreme the 94-01/02 did but they still fall apart.
front trim cap

That piece goes first. Like eggshells it just crumbles.

This piece must be a more recent development. No such a thing existed when I looked before. Anyone tried it ?

Dash cap cover
Posted By: 440_Offroader

Re: Dashboard cracked again - 12/30/18 07:37 PM

I had never heard of the dashboard cracking until 2 years ago. I pulled off a windshield suction cup off, and I hit my dash on my 2001. Of course it cracked. Over a year, the cracks had gone crazy. I figured I'd better do something before it fell apart. I ordered one of the glue on dash covers. It isn't a perfect fit, but pretty good. Had it on a year, and so far so good. It sure looks better than the cracked up unit and was a pretty good price. http://www.dashcoversplus.com/page/864510
Posted By: mcmopar1

Re: Dashboard cracked again - 01/03/19 06:39 AM

LMC is the only company that has a quality replacement, I’ve replaced 6 of them!
© 2024 Moparts Forums