Moparts

Trying to figure out which springs for a 2" Lift on a 74 RC

Posted By: shanker

Trying to figure out which springs for a 2" Lift on a 74 RC - 10/15/18 06:48 PM

I've got a 74 Ramcharger, 440 truck; that I'm now putting D60/D70 axles under.

It's all original, and I'll be running 17x9 wheels with LT285/70r17's (33" tire)

My goals are to maintain current ride quality (it's not smooth, but it's NOT harsh either). if it's Harsh my wife (who owns the truck and wants to drive it on good weather days), won't drive it.

The front seems pretty straight forward, it's the rear that has me baffled. It has factory 4" blocks between the factory springs and axle.

Is it possible to find a set of springs, that won't be harsh, and will allow me to eliminate the factory block and still maintain the OE spring hangar locations?

Attached picture RCnewDanaAxles.jpg
Posted By: Mr. Smurf

Re: Trying to figure out which springs for a 2" Lift on a 74 RC - 10/16/18 02:50 AM

Try it as is....you will gain height with the axle swap.

The larger axle tubes will get you close.

Ed
Posted By: dodgedon

Re: Trying to figure out which springs for a 2" Lift on a 74 RC - 10/16/18 07:20 AM

I wanted to add about 2" to my 85 Crew cab. What I did was use the soft ride spring from Sky Jacker on the front. I think they called it a 1.5-2.5 lift. A much better ride than what I had on the front.

For the rear I used the blocks from a 92 W250. These are 6" and used my original rear springs.

I know this isn't what you are asking, but its how i did mine.
Posted By: shanker

Re: Trying to figure out which springs for a 2" Lift on a 74 RC - 10/16/18 11:12 PM

Originally Posted By dodgedon
I wanted to add about 2" to my 85 Crew cab. What I did was use the soft ride spring from Sky Jacker on the front. I think they called it a 1.5-2.5 lift. A much better ride than what I had on the front.

For the rear I used the blocks from a 92 W250. These are 6" and used my original rear springs.

so those softride springs rode good? They're on my short list for solutions for the front.
Posted By: jcruse64

Re: Trying to figure out which springs for a 2" Lift on a 74 RC - 10/17/18 12:24 AM

Shanker, I did the 4" system from Skyjacker, with the soft rides up front. This is on a '93 club cab 1/2 ton. The springs are a much improved ride from stock, with almost 4 years of use now.
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: Trying to figure out which springs for a 2" Lift on a 74 RC - 10/17/18 05:57 AM

I've used the Skyjacker soft ride 4" springs on a couple trucks. Nicer ride than the stock ones but the rears won't carry a load like the originals. Being your is a Ramcharger that should be a problem.

Attached picture 20160822_153516.jpg
Posted By: dodgedon

Re: Trying to figure out which springs for a 2" Lift on a 74 RC - 10/18/18 04:21 AM

Originally Posted By shanker
Originally Posted By dodgedon

so those softride springs rode good? They're on my short list for solutions for the front.

Yes, Like the other guys here are saying. They do ride better than the originals.
© 2024 Moparts Forums