Moparts

42 re problems

Posted By: rhad

42 re problems - 10/14/18 05:11 AM

its in a 2002 grand Cherokee that we just bought this week,it starts out in second gear then downshifts to low after about 20 feet or so,it was low on fluid and i topped it off,no change,will a fluid/filter change fix it,or does it need a governor pressure sensor and a governor solenoid?,its my understanding they can be changed with just the pan off?,car has 153xxx on it,its a 4.0 engine
thanks in advance!!
it does not slip,manual low works fine
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: 42 re problems - 10/14/18 05:58 AM

I would replace the sensor and solenoid, a fluid and filter change won't fix that.

Re: 42 re problems - 10/19/18 04:48 AM

got the pan off today with my wifes help,found a broken snap ring in the bottom!!!
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: 42 re problems - 10/19/18 06:47 AM

Post a photo of the snap ring.

Re: 42 re problems - 10/20/18 05:21 AM

i dont know how to post pictures,however the parts of the ring i found(3 pieces) all measure .200 wide and about .080 thick,im told by a trans guy that its the od snapring,trans has 153xxx on it,,im thinking its overhaul time!!,id like to be able to do it myself but age and health prevent it,,the last A500 i did in my old dakota (hyd shift) cost about $300 in parts,now it looks to be 5 times that to have it done
and i furnish fluid and transducer and solenoid!!!
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: 42 re problems - 10/20/18 01:16 PM

If it's similar to a 46re, it's probably the snap ring in the OD. Found pieces in the Durango pan when I did the solenoid deal on it (prior to the 5 spd. swap). You can remove the OD from the trans in the car and replace the snap ring. I used a press but there may be a special tool for compressing the spring. Read up on it if you want to try it. Be very careful with the spring as it has lot of pressure on it and you could get seriously hurt it it gets away from you. blush

Tim

Re: 42 re problems - 11/07/18 06:32 AM

for the tidy sum of around $1900 i now have a freshly built transmission with a replaced rear drum and rear support!
does anyone rebush the rear drum where the support rides?
im told good used ones are right next to hens teeth?
Posted By: savoy64

Re: 42 re problems - 11/08/18 01:13 AM

that OD snap ring is a common fail and can result in the transmission locking up ----it is not hard to fix-----the OD unit ubolts off and the tranny guy needs to use a big press to remove the last few pieces and replace.....
Posted By: 383man

Re: 42 re problems - 11/24/18 07:48 AM

Originally Posted By savoy64
that OD snap ring is a common fail and can result in the transmission locking up ----it is not hard to fix-----the OD unit ubolts off and the tranny guy needs to use a big press to remove the last few pieces and replace.....

Yep saw the OD snap ring break many times myself over my years at a Dodge dealer. Ron
© 2024 Moparts Forums