Moparts

Transmission Cooler Lines

Posted By: CHRGR69

Transmission Cooler Lines - 09/07/18 09:44 PM

1989 Dakota 3.9 auto. My radiator sprung a leak around the filler neck so I'm changing it out this weekend. The trans lines currently run to the bottom of the rad. I've been told to just loop the 2 lines into each other and don't put them back in the rad. Thoughts? And BTW, the rad does not come with fittings for these lines. Can I reuse the current ones if I go that route or buy new ones? What size are they?
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Transmission Cooler Lines - 09/07/18 10:38 PM

Certain people prove they should not be listened to. Whomever told you to just loop it is that person. You should be able to reuse the fittings.

Re: Transmission Cooler Lines - 09/07/18 10:59 PM

up
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Transmission Cooler Lines - 09/07/18 11:37 PM

It's not like your cab heater, in which if you don't care about heat you bypass it. Not only do you want it, I think an additional external cooler on trucks is a very good idea.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Transmission Cooler Lines - 09/08/18 02:26 AM

You can loop the trans line together if you only plan on driving it up and down the driveway. More then that I would add an aftermarket trans cooler, the biggest one you can find if your pulling a trailer, or the 2nd biggest if your only driving around. Don't waste your money on the small ones. Gene

Re: Transmission Cooler Lines - 09/08/18 02:32 AM

I'm thinking about adding an external filter too. Prolong the life of trans, along with the external auxillary cooler

Re: Transmission Cooler Lines - 09/08/18 02:33 AM

Originally Posted By poorboy
You can loop the trans line together if you only plan on driving it up and down the driveway. More then that I would add an aftermarket trans cooler, the biggest one you can find if your pulling a trailer, or the 2nd biggest if your only driving around. Don't waste your money on the small ones. Gene
B&M Super Cooler is a really nice piece.

Attached picture B&M.JPG

Re: Transmission Cooler Lines - 09/08/18 04:39 PM

As I dig into it, there is an existing cooler in between the rad and condenser. Never had an issue before, so I will just continue to use this one. Thanks
© 2024 Moparts Forums