Moparts

72-80 Dash inserts?

Posted By: Mr onetwo

72-80 Dash inserts? - 03/02/18 04:48 PM

Is anyone making metal inserts for these dashes.I searched and can't find anything current.Was thinking turned stainless with new Speedhut gauges would be nice.

Attached picture Engine Turned Stainless Steel Panel.jpg
Attached picture index.jpg
Attached picture speedo.JPG
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: 72-80 Dash inserts? - 03/02/18 10:12 PM

I like this idea.
Really like that gauge. up

Thought about doing this myself.

There is a water jet shop up the road from me, but I figure it would cost more than my trucks are worth.
Wouldn't hurt to go ask em. shruggy

My plan was to get a scrap piece of 1/4" plywood or plastic and make the pattern.
If it comes out good, then I'd try the turned aluminum.
Pretty sure the hardware store or tractor supply would carry it.
I couldn't justify the cost of stainless on my old trucks.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: 72-80 Dash inserts? - 03/03/18 04:46 AM

I saw turned metal backing panels on sale someplace, maybe Speedway?

I have a big hole where the instrument cluster once set, so I have to put something there to mount my gauges to. I was originally thinking I would just use sheet metal and paint the whole dash body color, or the dash body color and the mounting plate black or something. My gauges are 3 3/8" in diameter, I have the speedo and the other is 4 gauges in one set. My gauges have a black face with a black trim ring. The numbers are white and the pointer is red.

I do have a piece of 18 gauge brushed stainless steel (think fridge front) here I could use to mount my new gauges, but once the holes are cut, any clean up removes the "brushed" look. I suppose I could cut the holes undersized and use a rotating cutter to bring the holes out to size.

I also have a piece of 5/16" thick aluminum left from a job I did, I could make the gauge backing from that as well. Gene
Posted By: moparborn

Re: 72-80 Dash inserts? - 03/03/18 05:46 AM

You can buy vinyl wrap in engine turned finish and lay it on your existing panel.
Posted By: 70Duster440

Re: 72-80 Dash inserts? - 03/03/18 06:41 AM

We fabbed a 3 piece aluminum insert over a heavily modified (ie: hacked up) donor bezel that served as a foundation so it would all go back in as one piece using the same anchor points. A pair of Speedhut combination gauges monitor vitals but with the radio delete there’s a lot of available real estate. The combo gauges are looking lonely.

Attached picture dashinsert.jpg

Re: 72-80 Dash inserts? - 03/05/18 01:27 PM

I have talked to these guys...FPM Metals, but I may try the wrap idea and adapt new gauges to the existing bezel.

Attached picture FPM Metals.JPG
Posted By: LilRed7879

Re: 72-80 Dash inserts? - 03/10/18 05:11 PM

Saw this guys doing some on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/john.rivinius/posts/1505625319503193

Re: 72-80 Dash inserts? - 03/12/18 12:41 PM

Very nice work...thanks for the link!
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: 72-80 Dash inserts? - 03/13/18 09:04 PM

That is very nice. up
Gives me hope.
I don't have a mill, but I'm gonna give it a try.
© 2024 Moparts Forums