Moparts

Car steering wheel adapter VS. truck steering wheel adapter?

Posted By: GOT6PAK

Car steering wheel adapter VS. truck steering wheel adapter? - 11/10/17 02:03 AM

I was looking at steering wheels from Classic Industries and they have one I like that's listed for Cuda, Dart, Valiant, Duster etc. My question is the truck steering column not able to accept one of these adapters and steering wheel? Does it require a different adapter? I figured an automatic column with non-floor shifter would be the same dimensions where the adapter and wheel bolt on. Anyone know for sure?
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Car steering wheel adapter VS. truck steering wheel adapter? - 11/11/17 01:32 AM

I think they just mention the most popular applications.
As I mentioned in the general section.
I have a Grant type wheel that I took out of a '69 Dart in my 76 D-200.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Car steering wheel adapter VS. truck steering wheel adapter? - 11/11/17 03:42 AM

What year truck?

I had a '77 wheel from a B-body on the '76 Club Cab I used to own. It fit no problem.

As mentioned, I think they just list the more popular models.

Now, if your truck has tilt wheel, that is a different story.

For reference, this is the wheel I switched to:

Posted By: Triggerfish

Re: Car steering wheel adapter VS. truck steering wheel adapter? - 11/11/17 04:57 PM

I installed a Grant "Tuff wheel" from Summit on my 68 D100 & it was super simple to put on. IFIRC, as it was last summer when I did it, it didn't need any adapter, but only the turn signal actuator piece that came with the wheel. The 3 holes & screws with the Tuff wheel lined up perfectly with the holes in the column. Took me 15 minutes to install. Only issue I have with it is the smaller diameter obscures a lot of the speedo display, but that's no big deal.

Attached picture 68 w tuff wheel 1.JPG
Attached picture 68 d100 tuff wheel.JPG
Posted By: kork340

Re: Car steering wheel adapter VS. truck steering wheel adapter? - 11/12/17 03:17 AM

4x4 trucks take a different adaptor 2wd trucks use same as a car. If I remember right 4x4 has keyway type spline cars/2wd trucks have no keyway(or vice versa). I remember needing a different adaptor when I put Tuff wheel in my 77 w150, car adaptor I had on shelf wouldn't fit.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Car steering wheel adapter VS. truck steering wheel adapter? - 11/12/17 05:22 AM

I believe it may have been vice-versa, as the older 4x4's had limited, very limited ways of correcting steering wheel alignment, other than moving the wheel a couple of teeth etc.
Posted By: GOT6PAK

Re: Car steering wheel adapter VS. truck steering wheel adapter? - 11/19/17 08:44 AM

My truck is a 75' D100 2WD non-tilt column. It does have a keyway. I have a 77' D100 2WD parts truck and that non-tilt column does NOT have a keyway. I don't think I'll have a problem with the adapter because even though the adapter does not have a key way, it will still slide on either column. I think the only time I would have a problem is trying to put a steering wheel with a keyway on a column without a key way. If that makes sense. I found a site called Flashpower that has all the adapters we need. Here's the link...
http://www.flashpowerparts.com/80-dodge-plymouth?p=2
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: Car steering wheel adapter VS. truck steering wheel adapter? - 11/19/17 02:16 PM

I used the Tuff Wheel look-alike and adapter from my '85 W150 on my sons '71 Charger with no problem. shruggy

Tim
Posted By: earlymopar

Re: Car steering wheel adapter VS. truck steering wheel adapter? - 11/19/17 03:53 PM

One of the details that seems to be missing on many of the aftermarket adapters (at least for mid-60's trucks) is the pin that cancels the turn signal. Have any of you had this experience?

- EM
Posted By: dirkpitt007

Re: Car steering wheel adapter VS. truck steering wheel adapter? - 01/23/18 04:37 PM

I have a '78 Dodge D150 and the available tuff wheel car adapter with the keyway and while it "works" it does not slide down far enough on the steering shaft. The adapter probably needs to move another 1/4" or so. The problem is the spine in the adapter is bottoming out on the ridge of the shaft. The turn signal pin barely extends far enough and the horn pin does not engage with the ring on the adpater.

I believe the shaft is original but has anyone else seen this?
© 2024 Moparts Forums