Moparts

2004 Ram power door lock problem

Posted By: 5thAve

2004 Ram power door lock problem - 10/07/17 03:43 AM

The passenger power door lock on my Ram doesn't work anymore. The drivers side still works from the power lock switches on both doors and the remote but the only way to lock and unlock the passenger door is doing it old school and reaching across to the plunger. My first thought was that the lock actuator is bad but when I pulled the door panel off it looks like it's all part of the door latch. Before I go buying parts and pulling this apart for nothing does anyone know if this is a normal problem on these or if something else is going on? The wiring is buried which makes hard to check for power too.
Thanks beer
Posted By: tahoechallenge

Re: 2004 Ram power door lock problem - 10/07/17 06:07 AM

I just fixed a similar problem with my 2005. The rear drivers door lock stopped working. I thought it was the actuator, but it wasn't. Two of the wires in the boot between the door and the jam were broken. The wires can be accessed by unplugging the harness on the truck side of the jam. A small screw driver will release the catch on each side of the plug. Then slip the boot back and inspect the wires.
Posted By: 135sohc

Re: 2004 Ram power door lock problem - 10/07/17 05:02 PM

Common problem, go search ebay and find a dozen or more listings for a replacement harness as the retards who designed it failed to understand minimum bending radius and repeated cycling. From the outside you can pull back the rubber boot and your going to find the design is modular for ease of assembly. The door side of the harness ends right there and plugs into the mating half that snaps into the pillar from the inside. The most direct fix is to buy a new door harness and install it. Probably go about 4 years if you open/close the door alot before things start dying off again as the wires break off. On my 2002 the speaker failed first, then the lock and then the window.

My fix was far more involved but I also dont ever want to worry about it again. I drilled out the centers of both connector halves and smoothed everything out but leaving the outer shells so everything would still snap into place and the rubber boot had something to hook over. I used deutch connectors on both ends and 18" of very flexible wiring made for machinery E-chains to span the section that gets cycled frequently, the OEM wire is just standard grade PVC. Coming up on 6 years since fixing mine and all is well still.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: 2004 Ram power door lock problem - 10/07/17 07:37 PM

Thanks. Looks like I'll figure out a way to check the wiring first to see if the thing is getting power or not.
Do the front doors have a separate harness? Most of the older stuff it was part of the main harness and only the rear doors had a plug at the body you could disconnect and all the stuff that pops up on ebay is rear door.
Posted By: 135sohc

Re: 2004 Ram power door lock problem - 10/07/17 11:47 PM

mine is a quad cab, the front doors have never been a problem (yet) so I have never looked.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: 2004 Ram power door lock problem - 10/08/17 06:08 AM

wiring issue was on the rear doors.... more than likely you need a new door latch assy.
© 2024 Moparts Forums