Moparts

Off road/Truck tires

Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Off road/Truck tires - 09/29/17 03:18 AM

I recently retired and moved out in "the country". I am doing a LOT more off roading. Some of it on some pretty rough roads as far as tires go. Sharp rocks.
I am learning some things I never knew, or at least never had to concern myself with.

1997 Toyota 4Runner (winter, off road beater). BFG "Long Trail T/A".
I have had three flat tires in the last two months.

Turns out these 'soft balloons' (my term) are 4 ply tires which are fine on the highway, and snow on asphalt, but little else.

I need to better match my rig to its usage.

I am learning about load ratings and 6 ply, 10 ply (which apparently doesn't really mean the ply count, just an equivalent to the construction back in the days when it did.

I don't want sharp rocks piercing my tires.

Advice, experience?
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Off road/Truck tires - 09/29/17 03:58 AM

Here's what I run on the Dodge Power Wagon as the truck sees street, off road/dirt/mud pits, rock climbing, basic off road mayhem, 10 ply Thornbirds, great year round, even snow, great off road, dirt or mud, heavy construction long wearing go anywhere, do anything tire, these are 38X12.5X17 weigh in at about 70 lbs each just for the tire, I got these thru Summit, they're made by the same company making M&H Racemasters...made in the USA, not overseas

If you get into TSL type tires they are difficult to balance, I use the large diameter ceramic off road DYNABEADS to balance them, very effective!

Here's my little "tire gauge" inspecting...

Attached picture tiregauge.JPG
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Off road/Truck tires - 09/29/17 04:04 AM

Thats probably the first positive review I have read about thornbirds haha, they look cool!

I think anything BFG makes has a less than desirable sidewall. I had tons of trouble with the 33x12.50 BFG mud terrains when I had them on my Xj Cherokee. The tire shop made the mistake of selling me a warranty and boy did they regret it lol. When I moved to a 35x12.50 I got some of the GoodYear Kevlar MTRs and they have been great with zero sidewall cuts. They are 7 years old now and getting pretty hard so it is almost time to replace them frown.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Off road/Truck tires - 09/29/17 04:10 AM

Toyo M/Ts or Nitto Trail Grapplers. Very, very good tires in both performance and durability.

Just look at the weight of the Toyo vs something like a KM2, it tells you what you need to know.

I ran 37" Trail Grapplers @ 4psi when off-road on my [then] daily driver. With that low of tire pressure, ram-assist steering, lockers and a 4:1 transfer case...I was very hard on tires. I wouldn't bother with anything but a tire from Toyo or Nitto if you are getting serious at all. I ran 35" KM2s and was not impressed with them at all, they are also "short" and are not true to size.

Attached picture 215413_434922393253239_1614736702_n.jpg
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Off road/Truck tires - 09/29/17 04:15 AM

My tires during the same trip, no issues.

Attached picture 228943_10200483524907238_973176328_n.jpg
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Off road/Truck tires - 09/29/17 04:25 AM

Originally Posted By GoodysGotaCuda

Wow, that's an incredible shot Goody! More than I subject my stuff to.
Posted By: sthemi

Re: Off road/Truck tires - 09/29/17 10:23 AM

Recommend an E load BFG KO2 all terrain tire.

Reviews are excellent. I just put some on my 01 Ram.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Off road/Truck tires - 09/29/17 03:40 PM

I've been running the BFG All Terrains for years and I like them. My jeep saw a lot of off-roading, lots of time in the gravel pits and they still drive well on the street. Never put them through the sharp rocks like in goody's pic though.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Off road/Truck tires - 09/29/17 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By Pacnorthcuda
Originally Posted By GoodysGotaCuda

Wow, that's an incredible shot Goody! More than I subject my stuff to.

Wow, that looks like a tire destruction tool!
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Off road/Truck tires - 09/29/17 04:20 PM

well here in the swamps it used to be the gateway gumbo monster mudders in the 14/35/15 to the 18/44/15 then the ground hawgs 14/35 or 17/40 or 18/44

now days I run the 34x9.50x15 TSL super swamper on my yota 4x4

one thing to remember in the mud is 35s don't go where 44s have been.

I have to say the thornbird is a good narly looking tire and has a long wear life on pavement. good Baja tire with tuff sidewalls.

but the ones I ran on the jeep were 33x13.50x15 on 12 rims. little to short to get off in the deep but were awesome in the sand drags.

IMHO, tall skinny tires work just as good as tall wide tires with less bearing failures from wide rim leverage.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Off road/Truck tires - 09/29/17 04:23 PM

yes, Goodys is extreme off roading! good sidewall and low air pressures = traction!

cyprees knees do the same thing to tires in the swamps, you just don't see the underwater action when it does.
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: Off road/Truck tires - 09/29/17 06:51 PM

Goodyear Duratracs are extremely popular around here. I'm getting a set this winter for my winter tires. From the guys I talked to they are fairly quiet, wear well and very tough
Posted By: ViperDave

Re: Off road/Truck tires - 09/29/17 09:01 PM

my offroad tire of choice is interco TRXUS STS. have had great luck with them in all weather conditions and offroad on several dedicated offroad vehicles
Posted By: 440_Offroader

Re: Off road/Truck tires - 10/05/17 03:20 AM

I recently was looking for a dual purpose tire. There are so many tires out there, it's a little crazy. My results were the same as Goodys. Toyo M/Ts or the Nitro Trail Grapplers.
I had the Toyo M/Ts on a work truck a few years ago. They still performed well, even with them worn to the wear bars. I have some Duratracs on a truck right now, but it's mostly street driven. The Duratracs do work excellent in the snow. Never a flat on either tires.
Definitely go for a heavier tire. Might bring fuel mileage down a little, but a thicker carcass will be more resistant to tire cutting obstacles.
Lots of choices, good luck with whatever you choose.
Posted By: Darren11

Re: Off road/Truck tires - 10/25/20 02:48 PM

Best tire for 2010 RAM 1500 4x4

Hi, I need your recommendations because my job will require me to tow a trailer and I’d be travelling highways and off road. I have the stock tires and I am in need of a light truck tire that is comfortable on the highways and yet durable when off road.

Do I need bigger and wider tires? If I go for a rim size 20 what tire specs would you recommend without lifting the truck?

I have been trying to research the best tires for RAM and found a good article and here is the linklink. I am close to getting 265/70/17 Michellin LTX via Amazon . I am about to pull the trigger. Any 2nd opinions?
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Off road/Truck tires - 10/25/20 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by WO23Coronet
Goodyear Duratracs are extremely popular around here. I'm getting a set this winter for my winter tires. From the guys I talked to they are fairly quiet, wear well and very tough
That's what my Power Wagon (79) had when I bought it and still does. Fairly quiet on road, did well in mud. Don't know about really rough terrain, but a friend raves about them on his Phord for off-roading and durability.

Re: Off road/Truck tires - 10/28/20 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360
Originally Posted by WO23Coronet
That's what my Power Wagon (79) had when I bought it and still does. Fairly quiet on road, did well in mud. Don't know about really rough terrain, but a friend raves about them on his Phord for off-roading and durability.

Hi I will look into this Goodyear Duratracs, hopefully it's close to my budget. Thanks! Appreciate it.
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: Off road/Truck tires - 10/28/20 01:23 PM

My only advice is to comparison shop for what you see on summit, so you can get a price match and free shipping. I got the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W from there after price matching (to either Walmart or Amazon, can't remember) and it saved me a lot in shipping and (at the time) sales tax.
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: Off road/Truck tires - 10/28/20 02:58 PM

I have Hankook Dynapro ATM tires on my ram. They're 10-ply, quiet on the streets and hold up great in the North Florida woods. Not sure how they'd hold up in an environment with sharp rocks. Oh, and fairly inexpensive for a truck tire. I recommend you look into them while you're tire shopping.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Off road/Truck tires - 10/28/20 03:31 PM

Duratrac's on my 2015 Power Wagon. 285/70-17 D rated from the factory. Went 56,000 and still had life. Overall a good tire and I went with them again.
Posted By: shanker

Re: Off road/Truck tires - 10/29/20 01:50 PM

You NEED 10 Ply Tires. (There's a Period at the end of that statement smile )

I run Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's on my WIfe's FJ Cruiser & the 74 Ramchager.

we do A LOT of beach driving and they're awesome in the deep/soft sand. The only thing I havn't tried them in is Mud (I"m not a big fan of driving in mud)

They're ultra quiet on the road too.

Attached picture IMG_6371.jpg
Attached picture IMG_5679.JPG

Re: Off road/Truck tires - 11/01/20 09:27 AM

Thank you
Posted By: Andrew Giles

Re: Off road/Truck tires - 11/04/20 09:58 AM

"You NEED 10 Ply Tires. (There's a Period at the end of that statement smile )

I run Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's on my WIfe's FJ Cruiser & the 74 Ramchager.

we do A LOT of beach driving and they're awesome in the deep/soft sand. The only thing I havn't tried them in is Mud (I"m not a big fan of driving in mud)

They're ultra quiet on the road too."

Cooper tires are top-notch, so it wouldn't be a surprise that you'd choose Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLTs for your rides. I bought the same set of tires from 4WheelOnline. I've been using them for weeks and I have no complaints whatsoever.
© 2024 Moparts Forums