Moparts

Dakota rack replacement

Posted By: Skid_Demon

Dakota rack replacement - 05/21/17 02:04 PM

So we installed a 1991 front Dakota clip on the front of an old Dodge pickup frame. Ended up getting the rack hot tweeking part of the mount. Anyway, the rack leaks,and with the engine running, you can snap the steering wheel a few degrees and the steering wheel will keep spinning until end of travel. I looked at prices for a replacement rack at the local parts stores, and online at rock. Are there any ones to stay away from or are they all about the same? I have never changed a rack before, so any advice might help. Thanks.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Dakota rack replacement - 05/21/17 02:41 PM

I don't recall ever having to replace a rack in a Dakota. I would probably hit a u pull it yard for one rather than buying a reman unit.

BTW some pics of that swap would be nice.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Dakota rack replacement - 05/24/17 03:02 AM

I replaced the rack in a close cousin - a gen II Durango. A NAPA reman worked well for me. A NAPA reman rack also worked well in a Neon repair.

I did have to pull the left TB to get it swapped though. A chore since the adjuster will not relieve all tension. A press tool is needed. I made something up... it worked once (barely) then got re-cycled. I am sure the factory tool is better.
Posted By: bbtrux

Re: Dakota rack replacement - 05/24/17 05:57 PM

NEVER use a parts house rack , even napa. They all sell A1 cardone, and theres more fails than good ones. Call jorgen, theyre in michigan. Or the dealer.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Dakota rack replacement - 05/27/17 04:58 AM

Maybe the parts house racks were better a few years ago. I put a parts house rack (I believe it was NAPA) on a 90 Dakota about 8 years ago and its still working great. Its probably got 60K miles on it by now. Gene
Posted By: mgoblue9798

Re: Dakota rack replacement - 05/27/17 09:54 PM

look up cv source in Buford GA. They specialize in remanufacturing of
rack and pinions and cv axles. I was an auto appraiser in Atlanta and most of the shops in the area used them. They have good quality stuff.
© 2024 Moparts Forums