Moparts

2003 Cummins programmers

Posted By: johnnycuda

2003 Cummins programmers - 04/20/17 08:24 PM

Hey guys, just picked up a low mileage 2003 Cummins 2wd truck, bone stock, thinking of adding a programmer to increase mileage some, haven't towed with it yet, but I do have a 24ft enclosed car trailer I would haul to the track etc.
What is everybody using?, I'm in California, so can't nor do I want to roll coal, race it, its a daily driver, just looking for a bit more mileage.
Thanks in advance,
Posted By: 440_Offroader

Re: 2003 Cummins programmers - 04/22/17 05:33 PM

I have an Edge in my 2001. It might be a little different in gains since yours is a common rail vs my 24v. I usually drive with mine in the mileage setting, as I find the performance settings put out more smoke than the performance benefit. I can get around 20mpg unloaded on the highway in conjunction with 4" exhaust. I like that you can have all the parameters you need, up on the screen. You can set alarms for if any parameters get out of normal conditions too. In tow setting I can tow my 28' holiday trailer (10,000lbs) and get around 12-13mpg.
Good luck with your new truck!
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: 2003 Cummins programmers - 04/24/17 03:14 PM

I also have an '01, but I've always heard the Smarty programmers are great for the '03-up commonrail trucks.
Posted By: mopar65

Re: 2003 Cummins programmers - 04/24/17 04:22 PM

Yes I really liked the smarty I had on my 04 ctd
Posted By: Tom_440

Re: 2003 Cummins programmers - 04/25/17 03:58 AM

I also heard Smarty was a good controller. However, I have an Edge in my 2003 CTD. I bought it mostly for the gauges. You plug it into the OBD II port and it gives you a ton of readings. If you have gauges already, its probably not worth spending the $ on the Edge. But if you don't have gauges yet, its worth a look.
Posted By: johnnycuda

Re: 2003 Cummins programmers - 04/28/17 12:34 AM

Thanks guys, I don't have any gauges in it, abd didn't really want to drill into the dash or pillar to install any if I didn't have to, I will look into both of these.
I bought this so I could tow the Cuda to the track easier, my 1500 has roughly 200k on it, and the suspension doesn't hold up well to my 24ft enclosed, even with air bags. ( I didn't own the trailer when I bought the 1500).
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: 2003 Cummins programmers - 04/28/17 03:57 PM

early 03 was the low power one with the "leftover" 47RE transmissions. Later 03 models all had the HO engine and 48RE trans. "IF" you have a later build, I wouldn't be too worried about throwing a little more power at it. If it's the early build, then the trans would be a concern of mine. Does it still have the "walker pump" (lift pump) mounted on the fuel filter canister? ...or has it been converted to the in tank pump like so many were. In tank had proven much more reliable than the pump on the canister. In 05 all the trucks from the factory had the pump in the tank fyi. Having towed with a 1500 in my past, you'll love the CTD. Nice to have the power to tow where you want without concern. I'm also like the above guys.... still rolling in my 01 CTD smile
Posted By: Jambbii

Re: 2003 Cummins programmers - 06/04/17 06:28 AM

A good combo would be an edge insight for gauges and a smarty for the power. You can control the smarty with edge for power levels. You can pick up a smarty used for pretty cheap.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: 2003 Cummins programmers - 06/04/17 02:02 PM

I like the smarty. I have one on my 06, but I plan to sell it and go with EFI live, which is not an option for trucks older than 06 for some reason.

I also just dropped 6k last fall on a new trans. even the 48re needs work to be reliable. I upgraded too though, so don't let the price scare you. I just wanted something that would hold up to slight power upgrades and be reliable. it's got a billet input shaft, billet triple disc converter, valve body, upgraded clutches, etc.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: 2003 Cummins programmers - 06/05/17 06:22 AM

did my own labor, but bought my converter and valve body kit from Dave Goerend. Replaced the input shaft as the core I was using had some play in it. Other than that... factory overhaul kit (Borg Warner) and I've been in towing bliss for over 130K on the build. $1400 and worth every penny considering I drove through 2 stock converters in 30K miles.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: 2003 Cummins programmers - 06/06/17 03:51 AM

I have a Smarty Jr on my 4wd 03 and love it. Gets 17.8 around town....Woke it right up...Still stock trans, bands all retightened & fluid change regularly. Just clicked off 200k with it last week...

I pull a 24ft enclosed fully loaded and its a dream with the Smarty.
Posted By: Doc Schwarz

Re: 2003 Cummins programmers - 06/14/17 02:56 PM

I would look at a Banks system. They are located in CA.
Had there programmer on my 03 and worked good.
© 2024 Moparts Forums