Moparts

94 dakota v6 to 5.9

Posted By: kenworth_goose

94 dakota v6 to 5.9 - 03/03/17 04:43 AM

Okay, I miss my v8 Dakota. So I've decided to do a 5.9 swap. It's pretty straight forward but I need to know what do with the 2 extra injectors I need wired in. Anyone give me some advice? I'll switch the PCM to a Ram or Van.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: 94 dakota v6 to 5.9 - 03/03/17 08:18 PM

I would just grab a 94 318 dakota engine wiring harness with the same trans and be done, it is not hard at all to swap that harness plus you won't have to lengthen everything to reach the front sensors like engine coolant temps and alternator fields...
Posted By: 71yelladustr

Re: 94 dakota v6 to 5.9 - 03/03/17 09:18 PM

You really only need to add 2 injector driver wires to your existing harness for cylinders 7&8. The other wire is ASD power to the injectors is common to all of them. Just splice into the existing harness. Easy as pie. Use a 96 & up weighted 5.9 flexplate so no converter change is necessary. Just have to file one bolt hole a little to get the offset lug to bolt up. Trim your fan shroud and shorten your radiator hoses and everything else should fall together. Motor mounts are the same as well.

Re: 94 dakota v6 to 5.9 - 03/04/17 03:12 AM

The engine I have is an 01 and has the flex plate on it. I'm pulling the engine apart partially this weekend to see if everything is good and Maybe shoot for the swap next weekend. Need to know what wires to splice into if you could let me know. AS far I can tell I just need to wire up the injectors and swap the computer.

Re: 94 dakota v6 to 5.9 - 03/04/17 08:40 PM

The injectors from the 01 will not plug into any of the v6 injector plugs on your truck. You need to find 92-99 V8 injectors, the yellow ford ones are even better. All of your other sensors need to be swapped from the v6 as they changed most of them between those years, also your valve cover filler and breather holes are probably in the wrong places, they jumped around over the years and aplications. Is you donor engine from a dakota, durango or van? If it is from a ram it will need an oil pan and pickup tube swap (you can use the V6 pickup tube but not the pan).

Re: 94 dakota v6 to 5.9 - 03/04/17 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By HotRodDave
The injectors from the 01 will not plug into any of the v6 injector plugs on your truck. You need to find 92-99 V8 injectors, the yellow ford ones are even better. All of your other sensors need to be swapped from the v6 as they changed most of them between those years, also your valve cover filler and breather holes are probably in the wrong places, they jumped around over the years and aplications. Is you donor engine from a dakota, durango or van? If it is from a ram it will need an oil pan and pickup tube swap (you can use the V6 pickup tube but not the pan).

The engine is from An 01 Dakota

Re: 94 dakota v6 to 5.9 - 03/05/17 12:16 AM

Then your pan will work, your injectors will not (without adapters or cutting and splicing all the plugs on it).

Re: 94 dakota v6 to 5.9 - 03/05/17 08:36 PM

I have a set of injectors that I can use. Hopefully I'll get everything in line for the swap soon. Thanks for the info.

Re: 94 dakota v6 to 5.9 - 03/06/17 03:37 AM

I torn the engine down and was just going to do a few things to it but the bearings look terrible. Crank looks great but now it's going to get rebuilt. That's going to slow some things down. Looks like it was starving for oil. Screen was partially blocked. People should learn to change the oil once in a while.
© 2024 Moparts Forums