Moparts

My options/and the law on VIN tags??

Posted By: G-Money1320

My options/and the law on VIN tags?? - 10/01/16 04:23 PM

I am picking up a really clean 85 Ramcharger shell that had a dash fire that destroyed the VIN tag. I am getting the legit title that matches the door tag and the police/fire report as to when it caught fire. Does anyone know the legal ramifications on what to do for the tag. I will post some pics when I get it home. Thanks!! Greg
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: My options/and the law on VIN tags?? - 10/01/16 11:32 PM

I've seen similar questions on this forum and answers can be all over the place. Since each states laws are different, I advise you to get hold of the MI (I presume) State Troopers/Highway Patrol and get answers from them. That's not something you want to guess at. Doing it wrong could earn you a felony conviction in some states.
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: My options/and the law on VIN tags?? - 10/02/16 01:25 PM

This.

Do you have at least part of the original tag?
Posted By: 52savoy

Re: My options/and the law on VIN tags?? - 10/02/16 06:18 PM

Call the bmv... In Ohio they will make a new vin tag if you have the title and can show them body numbers. Went through that about 12 years ago on a Challenger.
Posted By: G-Money1320

Re: My options/and the law on VIN tags?? - 10/03/16 02:03 AM

I looked the original dash over today while picking up the truck and if the tag could have survived it might be in the middle of all the melted dash plastic but it didnt look good. I am going to have to contact the DMV I guess, although I think they will want to inspect it and re issue a new tag and title.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: My options/and the law on VIN tags?? - 10/03/16 10:35 PM

arent there 'tag restoration' services available? i.e. a new stamped tag? Seems like this is the perfect example of the lawful use of a new vin tag stamped to match the original. all numbers match, title in hand, and a police report documenting the fire that destroyed the original dash tag
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: My options/and the law on VIN tags?? - 10/03/16 10:49 PM

http://www.datatags.com/
Posted By: 68_661charger

Re: My options/and the law on VIN tags?? - 10/09/16 03:45 AM

VIN tags Ive seen in burned out vehicles over the years always survive looking good. Id sift through the plastic carefully before messing with the DMV.
© 2024 Moparts Forums