Moparts

Anyone have or seen an '81 Plymouth TrailDuster?

Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Anyone have or seen an '81 Plymouth TrailDuster? - 09/05/16 07:37 PM

Was watching Chuck Norris in 'Lone Wolf McQuade' for the umpteenth time and noticed near the end where the FBI guy raises the tailgate on a TrailDuster. Wait a minute... didn't that have '81-up taillights in it? Rewind and slomo- sure enough, '81 taillights and TrailDuster emblem on tailgate. Never knew there was an '81 model. blush
So, anyone have or seen one other than in a movie?

Tim
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Anyone have or seen an '81 Plymouth TrailDuster? - 09/05/16 08:54 PM

That was near the last year of them I suspect....
Posted By: rumblebee4232

Re: Anyone have or seen an '81 Plymouth TrailDuster? - 09/05/16 09:02 PM

yep 81 was the last year for the Trailduster
Posted By: Diplomat440

Re: Anyone have or seen an '81 Plymouth TrailDuster? - 09/08/16 04:20 AM

Lone Wolf McQuade was the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title.

Don't recall seeing any in real life, but I'm pretty sure I've seen another movie with one in it.

Re: Anyone have or seen an '81 Plymouth TrailDuster? - 09/08/16 12:25 PM

I can't believe how many times I've watched that movie and never picked up on it. shocked May have seen one in another movie or even in real life and never noticed it since I thought '80 was the last year for them.

Tim
Posted By: jcruse64

Re: Anyone have or seen an '81 Plymouth TrailDuster? - 09/10/16 04:10 PM

I just caught that myself a couple of weeks ago. I've seen that movie a million times and never caught it till this last time, lol. It looked in better shape than McQuade's.

Wasn't '84 the last year of the TD??
Posted By: AdventurerSport

Re: Anyone have or seen an '81 Plymouth TrailDuster? - 09/11/16 06:18 PM

1981 was the last year for the Plymouth Trailduster.

A fellow that I knew in my home town had one into the mid-1990s before he traded it for a new Dodge Ramchager (92).

I always enjoy seeing the rare and unusal Mopars like that one (last year Trailduster, 1st year of the then-new bodystyle). One year model, essentially.

I almost scored a 77 Trailduster with the removable roof, 360 auto, full time 4x4, around '99. Guy had it, wanted $1,200, I offered $1,000 but he wouldn't take it. Checked back with him the next week and it was gone, he sold it for $900...?? It was decent, needed a little work but was straight, clean, and minimal rust.
I wanted one of those for a long time, and never managed to find a good one and buy it.

Now, I'll probably end up with a Jeep Wrangler someday...:)

JS
Posted By: Cooter

Re: Anyone have or seen an '81 Plymouth TrailDuster? - 09/18/16 02:22 PM

Yep, last you for the TD.

I had one years ago. Mine was far from stock, though.

Attached picture 72611_4979191030638_237464760_n.jpg
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Anyone have or seen an '81 Plymouth TrailDuster? - 09/28/16 12:32 PM

I have a 75 Trail Duster that I converted to a 93 driveline from a Ramcharger. To do this I used the dash assembly from the 93.

I was at the wrecker getting some parts this project and there was a TD there that had the same style dash so I got the dash tag that says TD. Must have been an 81

How lucky is that?

Re: Anyone have or seen an '81 Plymouth TrailDuster? - 10/03/16 12:30 PM

Originally Posted By Morty426
I have a 75 Trail Duster that I converted to a 93 driveline from a Ramcharger. To do this I used the dash assembly from the 93.

I was at the wrecker getting some parts this project and there was a TD there that had the same style dash so I got the dash tag that says TD. Must have been an 81

How lucky is that?

So you have yet another of my favorite Mopars? smile
I had just bought a new '74 PW shortly after graduating HS. Then the Ramcharger/Traildusters came out and I wanted one bad ('74 had only a soft-top or maybe it was an option? work ) Even though I had gotten a good deal on the truck (friend of my Dads was the sales manager at City Dodge), I couldn't trade it back in or find a buyer. frown
Still wouldn't mind having one. up

Tim
© 2024 Moparts Forums