Moparts

Removing rear leafs to lower rear 84 d150

Posted By: 98RAM1500

Removing rear leafs to lower rear 84 d150 - 04/25/16 09:50 PM

Was wondering if by removing the overload leaf would it lower my 84 d150 much? And would it handle better or worse like wheel hop. The truck isn't gonna haul any thing as far as I'm concerned just it needs to drop the rear lower has too much rake to it like it has new leaf springs on it (which it doesn't) the truck has the standard 3 leafs 1 overload any ideas thanks

Re: Removing rear leafs to lower rear 84 d150 - 04/25/16 09:55 PM

My father thought about taking the overload out and putting another regular leaf in its place to compisate a little.
Posted By: moparborn

Re: Removing rear leafs to lower rear 84 d150 - 04/26/16 03:07 AM

I just did that with mine.
It will be a while till I have any info,still work to be done.
I plan on traction bars to help,but mostly for that classic look.
I will be installing a track bar to help keep things in place better.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Removing rear leafs to lower rear 84 d150 - 04/26/16 03:15 PM

you can do that will no problem other than more sag when loaded.

I had 5 leaves with that shoth thick overload leaf, I run 4 leafs per side with axle on top of them for drop.

I also flipped my shackle when I flopped the axle on top.

you could use drop shackles but they tend to wheel hop..mine did.

I even bust the spring down on the truck and use a long center bolt for the spring pack, then cut it off after torqued to specs. just keep tem lined up as you compress them it the center bolt.

about 8$ for 12" leaf spring center bolts at napa

you might get 1/2" drop with that thick lower leaf only.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Removing rear leafs to lower rear 84 d150 - 05/06/16 04:10 AM

Not sure how much power you are making 98Ram but I advise against removing leafs method.

Maybe scratchn has a strong spring pack with only 4 but I took the second leaf out of my 87 D100. It was a reg cab short box. 5.9 Magnum with a stick.
It created many problems. There was the biggest problem of wheelhop. I was also scared of losing the rear universal joint because the weak springs were now allowing axle housing rotating.
You say you are not hauling but I was truly ashamed of my truck sagging when we tried to load furniture in it and she was bottomed out. Solution unloaded it and jamming it into my 94 LHS which was happy with the payload.
After all that crap, it only lowered it like less than an inch.

The hard facts are lowering should NOT be done by lowering the spring rate.
Relocate the springs or have the same set de arched by a truck shop.
Posted By: kenworth_goose

Re: Removing rear leafs to lower rear 84 d150 - 05/06/16 04:31 PM

How much do you want to drop it? What I would do is set the rear on top of the springs. If I remember right, it will drop it about 6 inches. And of course you'll have to weld new spring perches on the rearend housing as well. And the best thing, it will ride just like it did before, but lower.

Re: Removing rear leafs to lower rear 84 d150 - 05/09/16 07:40 PM

Well the engine is a .30 over 318 4bbl with 444 lift cam and A999 auto trans with 9 1/4 with 3.55 sure grip I would like maybe 2 inch drop in the rear but would drop shackles alone make it wheel hop? Also I'm not planning on hauling any thing with it. I got a 98 ram 1500 for that. More than likely I'll probably leave it alone though
Posted By: tmef

Re: Removing rear leafs to lower rear 84 d150 - 05/17/16 05:00 AM

I had similar troubles with my 83, weak springs and terrible wheel hop. I flipped the front spring hanger and added a lower shackle with a set of five over one, 3/4 ton springs from ATS Springs. This is a pic of the ride height I ended up with, just a slight rake. The truck rides firm but not rough by any means and zero wheel hop. I am very happy with it.

Attached picture Truck.PNG
Attached picture Spring.PNG
Posted By: dge330

Re: Removing rear leafs to lower rear 84 d150 - 05/18/18 05:13 PM

and what did you do to lower the front?
© 2024 Moparts Forums