Moparts

High Mileage hemi

Posted By: D-50

High Mileage hemi - 01/28/16 03:59 AM

I looked at a 2010 Ram Bighorn that is loaded with everything today that looked like a almost new truck. They are asking $11,000 for it which sounds like a pretty good price but it has 200,000 miles on it. It must have been owned by someone that does a lot of driving. Do you think it is worth it or is it too many miles on a Hemi.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: High Mileage hemi - 01/28/16 08:27 PM

I put 253,000 miles on a 350 chevy, stopped driving it because of a transmission oil leak.

If that Hemi has been maintained it should be good for more than that.

I have a friend who reps the factory-OK'd Chrysler alternative parts company. It works like, if the MOPAR parts system doesn't have a part, the other company supplies it. So I asked him about replacement Hemis and he said they have them built on new blocks. You could factor that into your decision.

R.

Re: High Mileage hemi - 01/29/16 02:05 AM

Are you thinking as I am that if I have a major problem with the motor down the road that I could replace it and still come out ahead since the truck is so cheap for what it is.

Re: High Mileage hemi - 01/29/16 02:11 AM

This is pic of truck..

Attached picture Big Horn.jpg
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: High Mileage hemi - 01/29/16 02:24 AM

Hard to rack up that many miles in town so it is probably highway miles and no worrys. I always try to judge a car on what condition it is in and say screw the odometer! I have bought quite a few VERY nice very good cars just a few years old with 200,000-300,000 miles. Usually if someone needs that car that bad where they drive it that much they tend to take better care of them.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: High Mileage hemi - 01/29/16 05:19 AM

I agree with HotRodDave, I've had more issues with low miles older cars than I've ever had with high miles newer cars. High mileage cars tend to be better taken care of, probably because, for the most part, the owner needs to be able to rely on them. A 2010 model year has the potential to have been on the road for 7 years. To get to 200,000 miles a week. Most people driving 550 miles a week take care of their stuff.

Then you add the fact that high mileage cars are usually ran well after they have reached operating temp, that the engine and drive train have evaporated all the contaminates out of themselves. That is usually not the case with low miles vehicles. Gene
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: High Mileage hemi - 01/30/16 02:22 PM

Its my opinion that the single hardest thing on a vehicle is lack of use, something with that many miles didn't sit around much. I would grab it up.
Posted By: 79powerwagon

Re: High Mileage hemi - 01/30/16 09:34 PM

It's not an opinion, it's a fact- vehicles need to be used! But there is no way I'd consider paying over 12k for a 200,000 mile truck. Look at teh prices of older, similar versions, they are a LOT less. THAT should be your benchmark instead.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: High Mileage hemi - 01/30/16 10:06 PM

I wouldn't buy it based on the fact that if you ever want to sell it, you are going to take a bath HARD on that thing. 5 years from now it will be a 10 year old truck with 250-300k miles. Read: worthless.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: High Mileage hemi - 02/01/16 09:23 PM

Well the price is in line with Kelly Blue Book for buying from a private party, the buying from dealer price is quite a bit higher.

There is a point to be made that you would be buying this truck to drive until it stopped. It will be hard to sell it at 500K miles, so at that point it is worthless. Are you willing to do this?

BUT, contrast that to buying a new truck. As you drive off the lot it loses $10K in value. Plus, licensing fees are less for the older truck and insurance is less as well.

So IMHO the economics are to be considered but consider all their sides.

R.
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: High Mileage hemi - 02/02/16 05:13 AM

Don't these trucks have hour meters on them as well?
Posted By: 79powerwagon

Re: High Mileage hemi - 02/02/16 03:33 PM

Don't let the lure of it's late model year sway you. It's still a truck with 200k on it, whether it's a 1996 or 2016....
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: High Mileage hemi - 02/02/16 07:31 PM

Years are way harder on vehicles than miles are. Low miles are a salesmans best friend but I work on cars everyday for a living and can tell you that miles is not the big killer everyone makes it out to be. I see cars all the time with 50,000 miles that are T R A S H E D while other people have really high miles like 400,000 that are I would trust to drive to Florida in a heartbeat.

Re: High Mileage hemi - 02/04/16 02:33 AM

I went to the car lot Monday and the truck was already sold. I bought a 08 Bighorn with 160,000 miles one owner with the Carfax showing all the maintenance. Thanks for the replies..
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: High Mileage hemi - 02/04/16 11:42 PM

High mileage vehicles don`t scare me if they have been well taken care of. Have fun. up
Posted By: MachoMan

Re: High Mileage hemi - 02/05/16 03:39 PM

I agree, if taken care of mileage isn't an issue.
In 2000 bought a '94 F150 4x4 on a whim ($6500). Truck had 166k but was in outstanding shape. Had it looked at on a once over before purchase and took it home. Truck didn't leak anything, anywhere. Only thing that didn't work was A/C but I didn't care.
© 2024 Moparts Forums