Moparts

1977 D200 Pickup - water leaking in cab - please chime in!

Posted By: Dale440rt

1977 D200 Pickup - water leaking in cab - please chime in! - 10/13/15 06:14 PM

Hi everyone,
I recently pulled up the floor matting and on the passenger side, the juke padding was soaking wet. It is not anti-freeze, so I am wondering where I should look for this leak. I also don't believe it is coming from the passenger side door either. I was told water leakage is a common problem on these trucks!If you have some experience with this problem, I would love to hear from you!

Thanks Dale
Posted By: stumpy

Re: 1977 D200 Pickup - water leaking in cab - please chime in! - 10/14/15 02:09 AM

Check the area between the windshield and top. Make sure the cowl drains aren't plugged.
Posted By: basketcase

Re: 1977 D200 Pickup - water leaking in cab - please chime in! - 10/14/15 06:17 AM

windshield gasket, vent windows,
Posted By: sthemi

Re: 1977 D200 Pickup - water leaking in cab - please chime in! - 10/14/15 06:55 AM

Store it in a GARAGE !
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: 1977 D200 Pickup - water leaking in cab - please chime in! - 10/14/15 03:22 PM

Wiper pivots too
Posted By: poorboy

Re: 1977 D200 Pickup - water leaking in cab - please chime in! - 10/15/15 03:29 AM

A 70s truck in the Midwest rust belt? Any seal along the firewall, cowl, roof, and vent boxes and any where 2 pieces of metal are spot welded together. Really!
Also around any and all of the glass, and door seals and where any wires, hoses or fittings enter the cab!

They were not very water tight back in the 70s, now they have had 40 or more years to deteriorate. Besides looking for where the water is coming in, you also want to be sure all the body drains are open so that whatever gets in can get back out. Besides the heater/AC box drains, there are body drains at the bottom of the cowl, bottom of the fenders, bottom of the doors, and bottom of the rockers, (I'm sure I'm missing someplace else). Open them up with a piece of wire.
Good luck. Gene
Posted By: serano

Re: 1977 D200 Pickup - water leaking in cab - please chime in! - 10/15/15 04:57 AM

There are two spots on either side of the truck at the cowl area where body putty has been applied. Normally the problem is the seam that starts at the corner of the windshield and goes down into the firewall. I have seen the seam sealer at the roof rail crack and leak all the way down through the windshield buck and into the floor.
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: 1977 D200 Pickup - water leaking in cab - please chime in! - 10/15/15 10:02 AM

Pull the glovebox & instrument cluster out & look for the rusty water trail
Posted By: superwrench

Re: 1977 D200 Pickup - water leaking in cab - please chime in! - 10/15/15 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By serano
There are two spots on either side of the truck at the cowl area where body putty has been applied. Normally the problem is the seam that starts at the corner of the windshield and goes down into the firewall. I have seen the seam sealer at the roof rail crack and leak all the way down through the windshield buck and into the floor.

Exactly this.....That seam at the lower corner of the w/shield has been known to crack completely down to the pillar...especially on 4 wheel drives that see a bit of body twisting. ALL my '74 to '80 trucks I owned had cracked and ALL had water leaks onto the floor. You might have to pull back the fender at the top and re-weld the seam and caulk it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums