Moparts

Got a new tool yesterday, what a life saver!!

Posted By: Challenger 1

Got a new tool yesterday, what a life saver!! - 09/04/15 04:22 PM

You dually guys can relate to this. Ever have steel rims stuck to the hub?

I have many times and beat the hell out of the tire and rim with wood and a sledge hammer to get the fricken rims off the truck so you can do brake work.

This sure works better than a sledge hammer I'm here to say.

Should have bought the tool 20 years ago if it was available?

The guys at Truck Pro didn't know about it and neither did the snap on guy...until I gave him the Ken Tool numbers I got off U tube. He said he never heard of a tool to do what I wanted to do until I gave him the numbers. Then he said yup my warehouse has it in stock and "I can have it to you over nighted" and I said "send it!"

Works nice!!

Re: Got a new tool yesterday, what a life saver!! - 09/04/15 04:50 PM

You have no idea how happy this makes me, changes my whole outlook when it comes to working on these smaller trucks. I always worried about getting these wheels off. This is a 2012 and the wheels have never been off yet. I sprayed them for 2 days and drove the truck in lot with no lug nuts to try to get them off, no go. Until I used this tool took maybe 10 minutes to get all four off. Sure they will get anti seeze now. I have 4 other trucks like this one.
Posted By: CTD5.9

Re: Got a new tool yesterday, what a life saver!! - 09/04/15 08:21 PM

What sort of black magic is this thing. I must get one. On Monday my grain truck and I had a sledgehammer swinging match and I feel that it won.
Posted By: adventurer

Re: Got a new tool yesterday, what a life saver!! - 09/04/15 09:08 PM

Is it pushing against the brake rotors? Thanks for sharing I will be ordering one now!

Re: Got a new tool yesterday, what a life saver!! - 09/04/15 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By adventurer
Is it pushing against the brake rotors? Thanks for sharing I will be ordering one now!

Yes, it pushes on the inner rim edge to get the outer tire off and then it wedges against the rotor to push the inner tire off.

Lifesaver and broken bone saver.

Re: Got a new tool yesterday, what a life saver!! - 09/04/15 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By rednuck
What sort of black magic is this thing. I must get one. On Monday my grain truck and I had a sledgehammer swinging match and I feel that it won.

I know exactly what you mean, I lost the other day too!
A DT-466 piston is the perfect diameter to drive the new oil seals in with.

Re: Got a new tool yesterday, what a life saver!! - 09/04/15 10:49 PM

BAAAMMMM, done. Did both sides, started on this around 10:30 today. It's a bear of a brake job.

Now let's go home and enjoy a 3 day weekend!!
Posted By: Todd

Re: Got a new tool yesterday, what a life saver!! - 09/04/15 11:52 PM

I got that same one from the Matco dealer. What a lifesaver. What used to take an hour to get the rear wheels off beating yourself to death now takes only a few minutes.

Re: Got a new tool yesterday, what a life saver!! - 09/05/15 11:51 AM

Originally Posted By Todd
I got that same one from the Matco dealer. What a lifesaver. What used to take an hour to get the rear wheels off beating yourself to death now takes only a few minutes.

Cool deal, sure made my day yesterday much better. up

I was surprised the 2 places I called that sells truck tools never heard of it. Is it something new? The U tube video I saw I think was from 2011?

Whenever I get stumped, U tube usually has the answer. up
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Got a new tool yesterday, what a life saver!! - 09/05/15 06:28 PM

somebody had their thinking cap on! that's pretty cool, and so simple!
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Got a new tool yesterday, what a life saver!! - 09/05/15 06:31 PM

Sweet! up Gonna have to gets me one... boogie
Posted By: adventurer

Re: Got a new tool yesterday, what a life saver!! - 09/20/15 09:25 PM

I want to say a big thanks for posting this. I bought 4 of them for my shop. 2 for in the shop, 2 for service trucks. These things are a life saver. We have the big wheel puller with the three chains that pushes against the axle but it some times worked and some times didn't because the chain hooks wouldn't stay in wheel and it was like $1500. These are way cheaper and so far have worked perfectly. Thanks again for sharing. wave

Re: Got a new tool yesterday, what a life saver!! - 09/20/15 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By adventurer
I want to say a big thanks for posting this. I bought 4 of them for my shop. 2 for in the shop, 2 for service trucks. These things are a life saver. We have the big wheel puller with the three chains that pushes against the axle but it some times worked and some times didn't because the chain hooks wouldn't stay in wheel and it was like $1500. These are way cheaper and so far have worked perfectly. Thanks again for sharing. wave

Your welcome, Glad it helped you.

I was like there has to be some tool made, this isn't the first time I had this trouble over the years. So then looked online and there were 2 U tube videos of 2 tools like that. I figured here would be more and called my local Truck Pro and asked my regular sales counter guy if they sold any tool for that purpose, he said no. Then I asked if he sold Ken Tool because I was pretty sure he did. He said he would look into it and never called me back. down
Called my snap on guy at the same time and he said the same thing, never heard of a tool to get them off, I figured snap on made there own version if Ken Tool made one and so did "Dually Buddy" I'm thinking W T F.
Then as soon as I gave the snap on guy the Ken tool number he became more educated about tools, instantly because of me. lol

Yes a good tool for a tough problem on many trucks. I bet many trucks were junked because they couldn't get the back tires/wheels off. I saw a video with tractor and chains trying to get them off. realcrazy

Thanks for the thumbs on the grill post.
Posted By: SKR8PN

Re: Got a new tool yesterday, what a life saver!! - 09/24/15 10:08 PM

Where was your jackstand, in the picture with the drum off??

Neat tool idea to!

Re: Got a new tool yesterday, what a life saver!! - 09/25/15 12:46 PM

Your right, I didn't use one. It had a 10 ton jack under it that has a large saddle on it and it was pretty low to the ground which would be very hard to fall off. The jack stand would just be in my way in that case. I know no excuse. tsk
© 2024 Moparts Forums