Moparts

Dana 70 crush sleeve ???

Posted By: JohnRR

Dana 70 crush sleeve ??? - 09/01/15 06:52 PM

Does the Dana 70 used in the 2nd gen rams with a cummins use a crush sleeve for pinion preload ?

The truck I bought has a howling rear of accel and I need to collect parts and maybe attempt to do it myself ??

thanks
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Dana 70 crush sleve ??? - 09/01/15 07:01 PM

No crush sleeve, shims/spacer for pinion bearing preload.

http://www2.dana.com/pdf/5312-9.pdf

Re: Dana 70 crush sleve ??? - 09/01/15 07:08 PM

Thanks John , I wasn't sure and a person I asked that has redone one said there was a crush sleeve ?

I have my 2000 shop manual at home , just need to find out if my case spreader is still at the shop that a deceased friend loaned it to, and I never got back.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Dana 70 crush sleve ??? - 09/02/15 03:02 PM

Yep, no crush sleeve in them. I just rebuilt the Dana 70 under my '01 Ram 2500 Cummins a few months ago. Started leaking at the pinion seal and had a little whine...found worn out pinion and carrier bearings. Got the "good" bearings from NAPA and put it back together. Doing great so far.

FWIW...I don't own a case spreader. It all came apart easily. Getting the carrier back in w/ the new bearings was a little challenging, but I got it in.

Re: Dana 70 crush sleve ??? - 09/07/15 02:12 AM

Thanks Chip , I may try to tackle the job myself, not sure how long it's been whining?

I'm trying to take care of the front end first. I just replaced and upper control arm and swaybar links and it still makes a god awful creaking, looks like the lower bushings are shot on this side too? The cost of a replacement lower control arm is $234 compared to $43 for the upper I just changed out. eyes .
© 2024 Moparts Forums