Moparts

'83 Ram D150 K member?

Posted By: demononwheels

'83 Ram D150 K member? - 08/18/15 04:19 AM

Hi, I bought a Ram D150 about a month ago. I have the bed, cab and engine out. In the process of clean up the frame. I would like to remove the K-member so I can clean up between it and the inside of the frame. My question is, Is it safe to replaced the rivets with bolts, or should I just leave it and try to clean and paint the best I can? Thanks.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: '83 Ram D150 K member? - 08/18/15 04:38 AM

Leave it and clean and paint as best you can. You should be clean what you want without removing it.
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: '83 Ram D150 K member? - 08/18/15 07:23 AM

It's harder to remove than it looks

Re: '83 Ram D150 K member? - 08/18/15 03:38 PM

Thanks, I think I will leave it.
Posted By: 135sohc

Re: '83 Ram D150 K member? - 08/18/15 04:32 PM

Besides the clamping force hot rivets form a perfect tight fitment between the rivet shank and the holes in the material being fastened together to prevent shearing movement. A regular nut and bolt wont do the same unless the holes were reamed and fitted with close tolerance bolts that would almost be a press fit through the material to do the same thing. Huck bolts would be ideal to replace the rivets but most people don't have a huck gun in their tool box.

Re: '83 Ram D150 K member? - 08/18/15 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By 135sohc
Besides the clamping force hot rivets form a perfect tight fitment between the rivet shank and the holes in the material being fastened together to prevent shearing movement. A regular nut and bolt wont do the same unless the holes were reamed and fitted with close tolerance bolts that would almost be a press fit through the material to do the same thing. Huck bolts would be ideal to replace the rivets but most people don't have a huck gun in their tool box.

That's what I thought. One thing though. I don't know if it was a mistake when it was first riveted. One of the rivets, on the passenger forward rivet for the k-member, it looks like they missed the hole with the rivet on the outboard side of the frame you can see indents, on the inboard the top of the k-member is cut off, and there is a bolts in its place. ill have to get a picture of it.

Re: '83 Ram D150 K member? - 08/18/15 10:31 PM

Posted By: Polarapete

Re: '83 Ram D150 K member? - 08/18/15 11:49 PM

At least it is a grade 8 bolt. I would not worry about it at all. Of more concern is where the steering box bolts to the left frame rail...look for cracks there.
© 2024 Moparts Forums